portable pc cases

vortextreme759

Jan 30, 2014
I am planning on building a portable gaming pc something I can just unplug pick up with ease and take to a freinds house. Any recomendations on hardware? Im more than happy to hear them
THANKS

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
a gaming laptop will be the easiest, but expensive as hell for a powerful one. This is the case I have the EVGA Hadron, it's maybe slightly taller than 2 soda cans stacked and easy to carry around. It will work with the latest video cards, but of course no SLI as iTX MB's only have room for 1 card.

2013-10-17%2013.36.14.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2004
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ni-ITX%20Tower

Check reviews for ones you like there.

I'm kinda partial to this one for portability thanks to the handle and Lian Li usually has solid construction of their cases.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112408

Pair it with a low end Haswell based dual core, 8GB of DDR3, and a mid range video card. Not sure how much storage options it has, but there's a 2.5" Western Digital SSD/HDD hybrid that seems to get decent reviews.

You might be better off with a slightly bigger case with better cooling and other options and then buy some nylon straps (I know they used to make ones big enough for full size cases so I'm sure there's ones for smaller ones). That EVGA case QueBert has looks nice and seems to have good reviews. I believe there's a couple of other popular ones (BitFenix and Corsair, Silverstone and Lian Li usually have decent cases).

Hmm, not sure if there's any decent all in ones that would be feasible and you'd probably be better suited with a gaming laptop for the price but I don't know for sure.

midnight growler

May 8, 2005
I have a Cooler Master Storm Scout (original) case. It has a built-in handle for carrying, as do a few others in the Storm series. The handle is solid, you can trust it. The down side is that you need to, because the case is steel and definitely more on the heavy side.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
Can't argue with a Shuttle XPC cube:
SN95G5-angle.jpg

There's also quite a number of mATX cases with handles built in. (I wouldn't recommend the larger ATX size... too much to lug around!
NZXT-Vulcan-Micro-ATX-matx-PC-computer-case.jpg

Biggu

Jan 3, 2014
I just built a BitFenix prodigy for my lan case should be easy to lug around.

B989847B-C4EB-4858-B1C8-FF4D1715ABFB_zpsvk8qxlpc.jpg

Last edited:

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I posted in the motherboard boards asking for a small case load with features and easily portable. Someone recommended this case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119265

It look so awesome that i'm really tempted to buy one. It's a bit big for a portable case but has lots of cool features and sturdy handles on each sides.

mu7g1u.jpg

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
I just built a BitFenix prodigy for my lan case should be easy to lug around.

B989847B-C4EB-4858-B1C8-FF4D1715ABFB_zpsvk8qxlpc.jpg

Those "handles" on the Prodigy are only decorative - they're thin plastic and snap like twigs if you carry the machine around with them! :(

Biggu

Jan 3, 2014
They actually seem pretty flimsy but Ive been carrying the pc around my house moving it back and forth with them and no issues yet. I still don't trust them though. If the case wasn't $40 shipped I would have gotten something different but Im enjoying it for now. Kinda nice next to my 900d monster tower.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i got my HAF XB today.

Its not portable, its heavy and quite big. It does look cool though.
The build quality is high, but not super high; thumbscrews are super hard, a cutout in the mobo tray is too small, some minor annoyances.

Looks really nice. 99% steel, but has front plastic bezel - however, (and i hate plastic), this is the best plastic bezel i have ever seen. Sturdy, doesnt come off unless you try really hard.

Layout is pretty sweet, but as i have learned, its not AIO friendly.
My Nepton wants to go on the top, to blow out the hot air, but there isn't enough clearance; instead it should go in the front .. but:
1) it changes the case from positive to negative pressure. (and we all know what that means .. DUST!)
2) it blows air from the front, which sux if you are looking at the case.

All in all, 'd give the case a solid 8/10, because its cheap and works fine for a cube case.