Portable Chrome

ggadrian

May 23, 2013
Well, sometimes I have to use my school crappy desktops (because we're using some software that I don't have license for my laptop) and having to install chrome every time (I can't stand IE 9) is a major PITA.

So I thought in putting a portable chrome in my ftp server, so I just have to download that file, but I found that there is no official portable chrome.

I'm a bit scared of using a no official one because I fear that it might be infected or something like that compromising my passwords and cad numbers.

Do someone knows a safe portable Chrome? Or should I not use any of them?

Thanks

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
same with Firefox Portable, there is no official version but they're safe to use as long as you download them from a reputable site. All they do is put all the files necessary to run in one folder, there's no magic to it

ggadrian

May 23, 2013
Thank you, I downloaded it from portableapps.com.

Maybe I'm getting a little paranoid, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
I use a thumb drive Linux distro like Slax or Linux Puppy. Having your own browser is safe, but not safe enough against keystroke logging or any other methods of getting your information. Slax loads pretty quick(3-5 minutes) from boot and you'll have a completely isolated OS that is much safer(not the safest because there are keystroke logging dongles that attach to keyboards).

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I use a thumb drive Linux distro like Slax or Linux Puppy. Having your own browser is safe, but not safe enough against keystroke logging or any other methods of getting your information. Slax loads pretty quick(3-5 minutes) from boot and you'll have a completely isolated OS that is much safer(not the safest because there are keystroke logging dongles that attach to keyboards).

I prefer it anyway because I can use all the tools I like, and have them with me. Some computers can't be rebooted though. You'll fail network authentication, or something like that, so it's helpful to have Windows programs available also.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Iron Portable is a portable version of Chrome, it stores profiles in the same folder & doesn't require Admin rights:

http://www.srware.net/downloads/IronPortable.zip

if i accidentally go to a bad site with iron portable, would it infect the rest of the computer?

meaning...should i do my banking on iron portable?
or should i let the kids use iron portable and i do my banking on the regular chrome installed on pc?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
if i accidentally go to a bad site with iron portable, would it infect the rest of the computer?

or should i let the kids use iron portable and i do my banking on the regular chrome installed on pc?

The same precautions apply to portable browsers as regular browsers. The only substantial difference is the install method.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

If you are really worried about it, build a virtual machine for surfing, or use something like Deep Freeze to refresh the computer after each reboot.

Also you can run stuff like No Script as a browser add-on to prevent Java, Flash, and Javascript from automatically running when you surf, which cuts way down on the possibility of getting infected.