porcelain crown

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
my g/f mother had a crown fall out that she had put in 3 years ago. It had a gold foundation. If I called an argued with her Dentist is there a guarantee for these things/discount/replacement? ($1500 for a crown here). My mother had one put in 15 years ago and it's still intact.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
No guarantees in dental work. A good dentist may work with her on the replacement, but there's no way to guarantee something like a crown. If the tooth was so bad that it needed a crown 3 years ago, it might have decayed under the crown enough to let it come off. Plus, they're glued on, and they can be removed. MAYBE it can just be put back on...

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
yea I just called her and told her to go there.

*shudders @ what she puts in her mouth.

theknight571

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Did it break, or just fall out?

If it just fell out they should re-glue it for free.

If it needs to be rebuilt... then I think it depends on your dentist.

I've had fillings break and fall out that they fixed for free.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
as far as I know it fell out. They will probably tell her it needs to be replaced.

AgentUnknown

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2003
There are no guarantees in dentistry. It's your body. If you have lasic surgery and your eyes still go bad, you don't get your money back. I bet you that she didn't take care of the crown. Crowns and bridges require a lot more care than your virgin teeth. If you have any questions, please PM me as I am a dentist and can give you a more detailed response then these tech heads on here. :)

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
virgin teeth, good one. 3 years, so what? I'm just saying that if it's simple to glue back in maybe it will be cheap? They never guarantee anything but what is the average crown life expectancy?

AgentUnknown

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2003
It could be decay that caused it to fall right out. Go to the dentist and see what they say. I do not think they will just cement it back.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..you think they would but no guarantee unless the thing falls out in the first few months. A typical crown costs a dentist a few hundred dollars and they turn around and mark it up 5 or more times. They all deal with off site crown makers. Some of em work out of their homes.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
So a few months? Is there anything in writing or is it case by case? Where does a dentist draw the line to saying this crown had an acceptable life span?

Aug 29, 2004
I had a crown shatter when I was eating corn nuts. The dentist told me that if it was within 5 years and under the same insurance that they would replace it for free but it wasn't so I paid for a new one. Oh, and no more corn nuts for me ;)

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: gshock
I had a crown shatter when I was eating corn nuts. The dentist told me that if it was within 5 years and under the same insurance that they would replace it for free but it wasn't so I paid for a new one. Oh, and no more corn nuts for me ;)

..that's what screwed up my teeth. Corn nuts are like eating gravel.