Pope: Worship God not technology

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
My point? The Catholic Church has a lot of nerve pointing their fingers down at the rest of us. What with the sexual abuse scandals plaguing them. Not to mention the fact that the Pope mentions the suffering of the world's masses about a dozen times, and yet the Vatican sits on a horde of wealth that they could use to ease that suffering. The Pope should heed his own advice and stop worshipping their vast funds and investments and get out there and help the people that really need help.

And now without further ado, da popa!

Pope: Worship God not technology

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) -- Pope Benedict said in his Christmas message on Monday that mankind, which has reached other planets and worships technology, cannot live without God or turn its back on the hungry.

It was shameful that in "this age of plenty and unbridled consumerism" many remained deaf to the "heart-rending cry" of those dying of hunger, thirst, disease, poverty, war and terrorism.

In his "Urbi et Orbi" (to the city and the world) message, he made a heartfelt appeal for peace and justice in the Middle East, an end to the "brutal violence" in Iraq and a solution to fratricidal conflicts in Darfur and other parts of Africa.

"Does a 'Saviour' still have any value and meaning for the men and women of the third millennium?" he asked in his address to tens of thousands of people in a sunny St. Peter's Square.

"Is a 'Saviour' still needed by a humanity which has reached the moon and Mars and is prepared to conquer the universe; for a humanity which knows no limits in its pursuit of nature's secrets and which has succeeded even in deciphering the marvelous codes of the human genome?"

"Is a Saviour needed by a humanity which has invented interactive communication, which navigates in the virtual ocean of the Internet and, thanks to the most advanced modern communications technologies, has now made the Earth, our great common home, a global village?"

The Pope, marking the second Christmas season of his pontificate, said that while 21st century man appeared to be a master of his own destiny, "perhaps he needs a saviour all the more" because much of humanity still suffered.

"People continue to die of hunger and thirst, disease and poverty, in this age of plenty and of unbridled consumerism," he said from the central balcony of Christendom's largest church.

"Some people remain enslaved, exploited and stripped of their dignity; others are victims of racial and religious hatred, hampered by intolerance and discrimination, and by political interference and physical or moral coercion with regard to the free profession of their faith," he said.

"Others see their own bodies and those of their dear ones, particularly their children, maimed by weaponry, by terrorism and by all sorts of violence, at a time when everyone invokes and acclaims progress, solidarity and peace for all," he said.

In his address, the Pope also made a reference to the controversial case of Piergiorgio Welby, a paralyzed Italian man who was denied a Catholic service because he had asked to die.

"What are we to think of those who choose death in the belief that they are celebrating life?" he said.

Welby, an advocate of euthanasia, died on Wednesday after a doctor gave him sedatives and detached a respirator that had kept the victim of advanced muscular dystrophy alive for years.

In his midnight mass for some 10,000 people in St. Peter's Basilica earlier on Monday, he said the image of the baby Jesus in a manger should remind everyone of the plight of poor, abused and neglected children the world over.

At that mass a member of the congregation read a prayer in Arabic asking God to encourage "a spirit of dialogue, mutual understanding and collaboration" among followers of the three great monotheistic religions -- Christianity, Judaism and Islam.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
"What are we to think of those who choose death in the belief that they are celebrating life?" he said.

What are we to think about those who lambast homosexuality, yet engage in it themselves?

What are we to think about those who preach morality, yet defend and protect pedophiles?

Hypocrites who hope for peace are still hypocrites. Dogma FTW!

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Originally posted by: kage69

What are we to think about those who lambast homosexuality, yet engage in it themselves?

What are we to think about those who preach morality, yet defend and protect pedophiles?

I think that's a vialed reference to suicide terrorists.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
The Pope should heed his own advice and stop worshipping their vast funds and investments and get out there and help the people that really need help.

Nah, helping people is something Jesus would do....

Aug 1, 2006

Hear, hear! The Pope can kiss my hairy behind. Well, he probably would, so, not really.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I think that's a vialed reference to suicide terrorists.

How you figure? I must have missed the al Qaeda PR blitz on their own particular 'culture of life.' Seems to me they have more of a hang up on a supposed assault on traditional, conservative Muslim culture than any real devotion towards 'a celebration of life.'

Fundie Islamic terrorists celebrate Islam via jihad, not life. Life is not a priority to them, as illustrated by their violent agendas and history.

The word you're looking for is 'veiled' I believe... The pope didn't bottle anything. ;)

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
The word you're looking for is 'veiled' I believe... The pope didn't bottle anything. ;)

:D

Perhaps the Pope could push an effort to fight illiteracy?

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
My point? The Catholic Church has a lot of nerve pointing their fingers down at the rest of us. What with the sexual abuse scandals plaguing them.
Ah, nothing like the pre-emptive red herring to start off a good old anti-Catholic rant.
Not to mention the fact that the Pope mentions the suffering of the world's masses about a dozen times, and yet the Vatican sits on a horde of wealth that they could use to ease that suffering. The Pope should heed his own advice and stop worshipping their vast funds and investments and get out there and help the people that really need help.
And you missed the point entirely. Do you really think that if the Vatican made a one-time donation of a few billion dollars that it could really make any lasting impact on global poverty? I doubt it. Besides, the Vatican is nearly bankrupt, regardless of what Dan Brown might tell you. They have a lot of real estate, but the cash isn't there so much anymore. The pope is suggesting that people utilize their resources and newer technologies to help the poor, not sell their homes and throw money at the problem. We could probably grow enough food in the US to feed everyone on the planet. However, the mechanism for transporting this food to the people is lacking. The application of recent innovations could, in my somewhat informed opinion, probably solve this problem.

And surprise, surprise - kage69 enters with another red herring! You guys fail to realize that resorting to anti-Catholic rhetoric in lieu of any actual discussions does nothing for the advancement of your positions. Instead, you're simply letting the rest of us know that you hate Catholicism. We already knew that.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
My point? The Catholic Church has a lot of nerve pointing their fingers down at the rest of us. What with the sexual abuse scandals plaguing them.
Ah, nothing like the pre-emptive red herring to start off a good old anti-Catholic rant.
Not to mention the fact that the Pope mentions the suffering of the world's masses about a dozen times, and yet the Vatican sits on a horde of wealth that they could use to ease that suffering. The Pope should heed his own advice and stop worshipping their vast funds and investments and get out there and help the people that really need help.
And you missed the point entirely. Do you really think that if the Vatican made a one-time donation of a few billion dollars that it could really make any lasting impact on global poverty? I doubt it. Besides, the Vatican is nearly bankrupt, regardless of what Dan Brown might tell you. They have a lot of real estate, but the cash isn't there so much anymore. The pope is suggesting that people utilize their resources and newer technologies to help the poor, not sell their homes and throw money at the problem. We could probably grow enough food in the US to feed everyone on the planet. However, the mechanism for transporting this food to the people is lacking. The application of recent innovations could, in my somewhat informed opinion, probably solve this problem.

And surprise, surprise - kage69 enters with another red herring! You guys fail to realize that resorting to anti-Catholic rhetoric in lieu of any actual discussions does nothing for the advancement of your positions. Instead, you're simply letting the rest of us know that you hate Catholicism. We already knew that.

2 valid points that you blindly dismiss because you are a follower unwilling to be critical of the hypocritical nature of the church.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
DealMonkey--My point? The Catholic Church has a lot of nerve pointing their fingers down at the rest of us. What with the sexual abuse scandals plaguing them. Not to mention the fact that the Pope mentions the suffering of the world's masses about a dozen times, and yet the Vatican sits on a horde of wealth that they could use to ease that suffering. The Pope should heed his own advice and stop worshipping their vast funds and investments and get out there and help the people that really need help.

okay lets se you Catholic? ok...thought not!
200 years from now if you wer to be alive you would still be draging the past through the mud....

I have yet to figure out what your point is....hmmm
Other than to spew dribble about things you have no knowledge about....

This statement proves what you say is misinformed conjecture--yet the Vatican sits on a horde of wealth that they could use to ease that suffering.

Merry Christmas!!

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
DealMonkey--My point? The Catholic Church has a lot of nerve pointing their fingers down at the rest of us. What with the sexual abuse scandals plaguing them. Not to mention the fact that the Pope mentions the suffering of the world's masses about a dozen times, and yet the Vatican sits on a horde of wealth that they could use to ease that suffering. The Pope should heed his own advice and stop worshipping their vast funds and investments and get out there and help the people that really need help.

200 years from now if you wer to be alive you would still be draging the past through the mud....

This statement proves what you say is misinformed conjecture--yet the Vatican sits on a horde of wealth that they could use to ease that suffering.

Merry Christmas!!

Have you made ONE intelligent/cohesive post ever?

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: JD50
We really needed another religion bashing thread.

You mean a thread where we take a political statement and point out the hypocrisy? Isn't that what this forum is for?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: shadow9d9

You mean a thread where we take a political statement and point out the hypocrisy? Isn't that what this forum is for?

Oh, you mean with such intelligent comments like

"Hear, hear! The Pope can kiss my hairy behind. Well, he probably would, so, not really."

and

"Have you made ONE intelligent/cohesive post ever?"

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

"Hear, hear! The Pope can kiss my hairy behind. Well, he probably would, so, not really."

and

You cannot filter the important from the unimportant here? Do the unimportant comments negate the real comments? Did you realize you failed to address the hypocrisy pointed out in this thread yet again?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

and

You cannot filter the important from the unimportant here? Do the unimportant comments negate the real comments? Did you realize you failed to address the hypocrisy pointed out in this thread yet again?

I don't care about "the hypocrisy pointed out in this thread", I have addressed it before in countless other threads. Like I said, we really need another religion bashing thread.

How about I go start 10 different threads about the hypocrisy of Democrats voting for the war in Iraq, but now backpeddaling. Or how about the numerous statements of Democrats, including Bill Clinton, talking about WMDs in Iraq. I'm sure you and all your religion hating buddies will be there debating the points and pointing out the hypocrisy of the Dems. I'm sure none of you would say anything about how its been talked about to death on this forum, nope, you'll be debating the points right?

You don't have to look any further than the people in the thread to see the hypocrisy.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

and

I don't care about "the hypocrisy pointed out in this thread", I have addressed it before in countless other threads. Like I said, we really need another religion bashing thread.

How about I go start 10 different threads about the hypocrisy of Democrats voting for the war in Iraq, but now backpeddaling. Or how about the numerous statements of Democrats, including Bill Clinton, talking about WMDs in Iraq. I'm sure you and all your religion hating buddies will be there debating the points and pointing out the hypocrisy of the Dems. I'm sure none of you would say anything about how its been talked about to death on this forum, nope, you'll be debating the points right?

You don't have to look any further than the people in the thread to see the hypocrisy.

You could create threads about democrats if you'd like. I am not democrat, and they are often corrupt/wrong... You think I would deny truths when they are pointed out? Unlike you, I am capable of being critical of everything. I hate religion because I realize that the pope and the church are often(not all the time) hypocritical? Ok... good analysis... are you a psychiatrist!?

If the pope stopped making ridiculous statements, and if the super-religious people in this country stopped pushing their morals on everyone else, I assure you, you will see a sharp decline in commenting posts here.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

and

You could create threads about democrats if you'd like. I am not democrat, and they are often corrupt/wrong... You think I would deny truths when they are pointed out? Unlike you, I am capable of being critical of everything. I hate religion because I realize that the pope and the church are often(not all the time) hypocritical? Ok... good analysis... are you a psychiatrist!?

If the pope stopped making ridiculous statements, and if the super-religious people in this country stopped pushing their morals on everyone else, I assure you, you will see a sharp decline in commenting posts here.

Hating religion because you think that the pope is hypocritical is pretty silly. There is a huge difference between the Catholic church and other christians. I was raised Catholic, now I go to a non denominational christian church because I don't agree with Catholocism, so obviously I am critical of the Catholic church. But I guess you made up your mind about me before you even knew where I stood on the issue, just because I was tired of seeing religion bashing threads. Kind of like how you make up your mind on everyone because of what part of the country they are from.

Although you may think that its the "super-religious" pushing their morals and that they are in the minority, you are obviously wrong. The majority of the country is religious, and agrees with these morals. The people against religion are in the super minority in this country, no matter what you may think

Anyways, hating all religion because you don't like the Catholic church is dumb, thats like me saying that I hate all black people because most inner cities are crime ridden sh1tholes. Both arguments sound ridiculous.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

and

Hating religion because you think that the pope is hypocritical is pretty silly. There is a huge difference between the Catholic church and other christians. I was raised Catholic, now I go to a non denominational christian church because I don't agree with Catholocism, so obviously I am critical of the Catholic church. But I guess you made up your mind about me before you even knew where I stood on the issue, just because I was tired of seeing religion bashing threads. Kind of like how you make up your mind on everyone because of what part of the country they are from.

Although you may think that its the "super-religious" pushing their morals and that they are in the minority, you are obviously wrong. The majority of the country is religious, and agrees with these morals. The people against religion are in the super minority in this country, no matter what you may think

Anyways, hating all religion because you don't like the Catholic church is dumb, thats like me saying that I hate all black people because most inner cities are crime ridden sh1tholes. Both arguments sound ridiculous.

I think you misread my post. Please read again. I had a "?" after my statement... This is meant to ask if this is what you think I think. Read-

"I hate religion because I realize that the pope and the church are often(not all the time) hypocritical? Ok... good analysis... are you a psychiatrist!?"

"Although you may think that its the "super-religious" pushing their morals and that they are in the minority, you are obviously wrong."

You have the right to think my opinion is wrong. The super religious have been in control for the last 6 years and they no longer hold majority power in either house. So much for your "everyone is religious so they agree with the super-religious" theory. Anti-abortion crusaders, anti- after morning pill crusaders, etc are all forcing their view of morals on everyone and they are NOT the majority, despite what you may think.

"Kind of like how you make up your mind on everyone because of what part of the country they are from."

Nope. One could actually know where someone else is from and take that into account without..gasp...discounting them entirely! I know I know.. it is shocking!

"But I guess you made up your mind about me before you even knew where I stood on the issue"

You mean like how you did by caling me anti-religious and a democrat?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

and

I think you misread my post. Please read again. I had a "?" after my statement... This is meant to ask if this is what you think I think. Read-

"I hate religion because I realize that the pope and the church are often(not all the time) hypocritical? Ok... good analysis... are you a psychiatrist!?"

"Although you may think that its the "super-religious" pushing their morals and that they are in the minority, you are obviously wrong."

You have the right to think my opinion is wrong. The super religious have been in control for the last 6 years and they no longer hold majority power in either house. So much for your "everyone is religious so they agree with the super-religious" theory. Anti-abortion crusaders, anti- after morning pill crusaders, etc are all forcing their view of morals on everyone and they are NOT the majority, despite what you may think.

"Kind of like how you make up your mind on everyone because of what part of the country they are from."

Nope. One could actually know where someone else is from and take that into account without..gasp...discounting them entirely! I know I know.. it is shocking!

"But I guess you made up your mind about me before you even knew where I stood on the issue"

I did not say "everyone is religious so they agree with the super religious". What I meant was that what you see as morals of the "super religious" are just the regular morals of most Americans. Most Americans are religious, and most Americans hold these morals. This last election did not have anything to do with religion or morals, it had everything to do with the ineptly run war in Iraq, at least thats how it seems to me.

You're right, I thought you were saying that you hate religion, it didn't seem like a question to me.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

and

I did not say "everyone is religious so they agree with the super religious". What I meant was that what you see as morals of the "super religious" are just the regular morals of most Americans. Most Americans are religious, and most Americans hold these morals. This last election did not have anything to do with religion or morals, it had everything to do with the ineptly run war in Iraq, at least thats how it seems to me.

You're right, I thought you were saying that you hate religion, it didn't seem like a question to me.

Thanks about the second point.

For the first point, you are wrong... Abortion and morning after pills are supported by the majority... just not the super religious... the ones that have blocked the morning after pills for so long etc.

Remember, the majority of the super-religious were supportive of:

Slavery
Wanting women to stay home-anti-women's rights
Pro-segregation
Anti-civil rights

Saying that the majority supports something in no way makes it right.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

the religious nature of this country has alway been overblown, most people are fairly apathetic to faith and religion. You see the people who go out to church, and these people talk about how they went to church. The people who aren't going to church and not actively worship you to not see not worshiping, and you for the most part do not hear then talk about not worshiping, because they have no reason to talk about it.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

some day you may realise that just because "most" people believe in something, and support a cause, does not make that cause moral, or legal.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

Merry Christmas!!

Have you made ONE intelligent/cohesive post ever?

at least 3,000 more intelligent posts than you have....