Pope approves of same sex civil unions

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Just in time for the righteous indignation of the GOP and ACB

ROME (AP) — Pope Francis endorsed same-sex civil unions for the first time as pontiff while being interviewed for the feature-length documentary “Francesco,” which premiered Wednesday at the Rome Film Festival.

The papal thumbs-up came midway through the film that delves into issues Francis cares about most, including the environment, poverty, migration, racial and income inequality, and the people most affected by discrimination.

“Homosexual people have the right to be in a family. They are children of God,” Francis said in one of his sit-down interviews for the film. “You can’t kick someone out of a family, nor make their life miserable for this. What we have to have is a civil union law; that way they are legally covered.”

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
This has been a fascinating pope.

He's been impressively progressive. Especially after his predecessor who was painfully conservative and ended up abdicating the throne. The whole course of events that lead us to this Pope is interesting.

Reactions: Pohemi

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Just another data point for the "The infallible voice of God on Earth elected by His ritual as He works through His Cardinals doesn't actually represent the Church" argument.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
If you want to keep the word "marriage" as purely a religious term. Whatever. As a non-religious, married male to a woman, I'll give up the word marriage for civil union myself if it means other marginalized groups can share the same civil and legal protections I can.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
If you want to keep the word "marriage" as purely a religious term. Whatever. As a non-religious, married male to a woman, I'll give up the word marriage for civil union myself if it means other marginalized groups can share the same civil and legal protections I can.
It's amazing how much the word used really offends a group of folks who continually call others snowflakes.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
They can't be. If they are CATHOLICS and claim to follow the church and Jesus, then they have to accept that the Pope is the infallible mouth piece of God on Earth. Chosen by a sacred process. If you go against the Pope, you are going against God themselves.... right?

A lot of American catholics can go from "The Pope is infallible" to "That mother fucker is nuts, wrong, and here is why we will loudly ignore him" in abut two seconds.

Weird how a lifetime of religious education has made me deeply cynical about religions.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Has the Pope yet approved of Protestant marriages?
Lets remember that the Catholic church does not have the best record here. I know that just 20 years ago Catholic Priest told me that the Church did not recognize cross faith marriages.
So, maybe not the best yardstick to measure this by.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
A lot of American catholics can go from "The Pope is infallible" to "That mother fucker is nuts, wrong, and here is why we will loudly ignore him" in abut two seconds.

Weird how a lifetime of religious education has made me deeply cynical about religions.
To be fair there are two different types of statements that the Pope can make, ex cathedra teachings, where he is relaying divinely revealed knowledge which is considered infallible, and ordinary teaching where he is not.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
So now homosexuals can get "married" and never get divorce too?

Still BS. Pope is just pandering to LGBT and non-biggoted people to get them into his stupid church, still full of nonsense teachings. I prefer if the church stick with it's archaic views as much as possible. The more people they can drive away from their silly views the better for everyone. #keepthechurchcrazy!

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

I was raised Catholic - not practicing now - but my understanding was that the pope was considered infallible on matters of faith (ignoring whether the idea of infallibility in any respect is reasonable or not).

But it is still odd to see people profess to follow the teachings of a man who embraced the poor, the sick, the outcast, and the oppressed, and then do the exact opposite when it comes down to walking the walk.

Reactions: Meghan54 and Aegeon

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I was raised Catholic - not practicing now - but my understanding was that the pope was considered infallible on matters of faith (ignoring whether the idea of infallibility in any respect is reasonable or not).

But it is still odd to see people profess to follow the teachings of a man who embraced the poor, the sick, the outcast, and the oppressed, and then do the exact opposite when it comes down to walking the walk.

This is my recollection as well however I've known catholics who hide behind that when it's something they agree with even if it may not strictly be a matter of faith. It's all kind of...whatever.

Overall yes my observations of many professed Christians are pretty at odds with the actual teachings of Christ as I read them.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
It's a start. Typically, granting any recognition for unions or whatever one wants to call it, usually in short time they change the decision to recognizing full SS marriage because what's the point of doing it half-ass? If SS marriage is the law and the church decides to recognize that SS relationships do exist then just go ahead and do a full on SS marriage recognization. And so, the church will eventually just simply go ahead and recognize SS marriages.
And just an FYI..... I'm available fellas and I have my own toaster oven. :smirk: