Poor Polly Skoorb-cat

MomAndSkoorbaby

Diamond Member
May 6, 2001
Our darling Polly, who is a 4-year old tabby cat and her picture was posted sometime last week, has had this spot on her eye for a very long time now. We have had it checked twice and both vets said it was just pigmentation and nothing to be concerned about. So, Skoorb and I have been keeping a close eye on it and noticed that it has grown slightly, very slightly, over the last two years. We brought her in last night to get it checked and our new vet here said to go and see an opthalmalogic veterinarian because it could, possibly, be cancer. :(

It is indeed raised so it is some sort of tumor. Whether it is benign or not is yet to be determined.

Please think of Polly!

Meow!

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
when i went home to Minnesota this last weekend, we had to put one of our cats down. She was only suffering. :(

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
What would they do if it was some kind of eye cancer? remove they eye, or can they do surgery on it?

MomAndSkoorbaby

Diamond Member
May 6, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
What would they do if it was some kind of eye cancer? remove they eye, or can they do surgery on it?

They can do either or, depending on how bad it is. Hopefully, they can just remove the area with a laser and leave her with two good eyes. We shall see. We take her in next Thursday.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
I hope it turns out to be benign. It is quite a coincidence that you posted this as we have noticed a spot on one of our cats iris as well. :( He will be visiting the vet this weekend and we are praying that it is nothing to be concerned about.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
That's a bummer MrsSkoorb :(

My cat Buddy is spending the night at the vet tonight. We're afriad he might have a urinary tract blockage. On top of that, he needed his shots.

Needless to say, he's not having a very good day today. But he's been acting really weird over the last week or so (as if he's in pain) both before and after he pees, so I was getting worried.

MomAndSkoorbaby

Diamond Member
May 6, 2001
Originally posted by: AmusedOne

My cat Buddy is spending the night at the vet tonight. We're afriad he might have a urinary tract blockage. On top of that, he needed his shots.

Needless to say, he's not having a very good day today. But he's been acting really weird over the last week or so (as if he's in pain) both before and after he pees, so I was getting worried.

Sending cat cuddles your way...:(

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001

We have had quite a bit of experience with those and they can be very nasty for male cats. If he is blocked they may want you to start him on a special diet once he is back home to reduce the possibility of re-occurance. Oddly enough in female cats it is painful to them but not life threatening due to the difference in the size of the urinary tract. Other signs of urinary tract problems are the cat paying a lot of attention to his privates, very frequent visits to the pan, traces of blood in the urine, and in some cases improper elimination due to the cat associating the litter box with the source of the pain.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Linflas

We have had quite a bit of experience with those and they can be very nasty for male cats. If he is blocked they may want you to start him on a special diet once he is back home to reduce the possibility of re-occurance. Oddly enough in female cats it is painful to them but not life threatening due to the difference in the size of the urinary tract. Other signs of urinary tract problems are the cat paying a lot of attention to his privates, very frequent visits to the pan, traces of blood in the urine, and in some cases improper elimination due to the cat associating the litter box with the source of the pain.

Yeah, he was licking his peter quite a bit over the last week, and acting VERY agitated if we approached him just after he was in the litter box and licking down there.

We have him eating Iams weight control food, and figured it was just as safe for the urinary tract as Science Diet is. Do you know if this is true?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Yes my cat had a Urinary Tract Infection before. He had to stay on a special diet since then. Sorry to hear that about Polly. :(

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001

Yeah, he was licking his peter quite a bit over the last week, and acting VERY agitated if we approached him just after he was in the litter box and licking down there.

We have him eating Iams weight control food, and figured it was just as safe for the urinary tract as Science Diet is. Do you know if this is true?

I am not sure Amused, the stuff we use is Hill's Prescription Diet c/d-s and we get it by the case along with a bag of dry from our vet. I think the ash content is what is important and they may add some acidifiers as well. You vet will likely have some recommendations for you. From everything I have read it seems they are not really sure yet what causes this to happen in cats.

MomAndSkoorbaby

Diamond Member
May 6, 2001

I am not sure Amused, the stuff we use is Hill's Prescription Diet c/d-s and we get it by the case along with a bag of dry from our vet. I think the ash content is what is important and they may add some acidifiers as well. You vet will likely have some recommendations for you. From everything I have read it seems they are not really sure yet what causes this to happen in cats.

Check with you vet for sure on the types and content of the food that Buddy should have. While they will ultimately recommend the most expensive, check the ingredients and compare with other brands. Many will match.

Polly and Abby (Polly has sore eye, Abby is the pot smoker), eat Science Diet and they love it. They are actually on weight control not that they are overweigh but because it maintains their weight and they seem happy on it. I have tried some others, but this is the food for them!