Poor college students, need help.

Jan 31, 2002
Hello, I am 19 and a freshman at Northern Kentucky University. As my name implies, I am a poor college student. I work at Staples.com, as a phone/internet/chat customer support rep (I handle all the price matches that those anandtech Hot Deal guys try to throw at us, hehe). I work about 25 hours a week and make $10 / hr. I also goto school full time (15 hrs) and I am not making enough money to "enjoy" my life.

I pay a $276 car payment monthy, $110 insurance, $30 cell phone, $50 credit card, etc. After taxes, my typical paycheck is $185... and with all those bills I usually have like $20-30 a week to eat/pay gas, etc. That is not enough money! How am I supposed to eat, pay gas, buy presents, and go shopping for myself every once in a while with $20 a week.

Soooo, my friend and I (he is in similar situation) are willing to spend some money investing in a small/home/internet business. We know we need to come up with a unique idea, build a fast/fun/friendly website, and target an audience. We do not have many funds to do it with, however. We hear about college kids getting rich off the internet all the time, so there the opportunity must be out there.

Basically, I'm asking for suggestions to make some $$$ on the internet... something study, not camping Hot Deals and then selling stuff on eBay. Thanks in Advance!

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
you're about 3 years too late and 2 million short in cash =P

you can go EQ whoring it on the new 40 dollar server and eBay the goods

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001

<< I pay a $276 car payment monthy, >>

there is your problem right there.

and yeah, you are about 3 years to late to make any cash off the net now :)

Jan 31, 2002
It is not an option to ditch the car or cell phone.

Besides internet, what is a good way to make extra money in college without having another job?

shazbot

Jul 25, 2001
get rid of the car. . . theres no reason why a college student should be making car payments. If you have a car, it should be something you own outright. What really amuses me is some of the people I see aroudn working a a sh*tty job, but driving a benz. 80% of their check must goto those car payments. Just friggin stupid in my book.

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001

<<

Besides internet, what is a good way to make extra money in college without having another job?
>>

Invest in kneepads?

j/k:p

VirusDub

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2001

<< Besides internet, what is a good way to make extra money in college without having another job? >>

So basically, your question is "How can I make more money without doing more work?" There aren't too many answers to that.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
What the hell are you driving that you need to pay nearly $300 a month for car payments??

shazbot

Jul 25, 2001
"finding" more money is going to be alot harder than cutting your expenses. . . But the easiest way to cut down on your college expense is to become an RA. School'll pay for your room & board which should be a few grand a sem. And if you have a scholarship that pays for that, the money'll go straight to your pocket.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002

<< you're about 3 years too late and 2 million short in cash =P

>>

What is that EQ thing?

Spagina

Dec 31, 2000
I have to agree, get a car you own outright, even if it's a total beater. Just getting rid of that $276 monthly payment will do a world of good. Plus if your driving a total beater, insurance may drop a bit too.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

<< Invest in kneepads? >>

\

lol

Your options are pretty limited to buy/sell and selling virtual property

EQ whoring, you know, playing evercamp and getting all the l33t items and selling them on eBay

Ionizer86

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
$50 credit card? What if you decide not to build up your credit right now? Or what if you try not to spend what you don't have? If there are monthly payments even if you do not get in debt, maybe it's time to try a checking account + check card...

imhotepmp

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000

<< Sell your car. Its eating up half of your income. Take the bus man! >>

better yet, just get a good used car something that you can own. As everyone else has said that car payment is eating up most of your cash. Swallow your pride and just get an old honda or toyota. I'm also a poor college student but i saved up my $$ and just bought a 92 accord. i see no need for buying or leasing a new car. good luck, i hope you find what youre looking for.

Imhotep MP

Oct 16, 1999
First get a small student loan and pay off all your credit cards in full. Next, ditch your current car and buy something inexpesive and reliable outright. This will get rid of your car payemnt, and problably lower your insurance.

shazbot

Jul 25, 2001
oh yea. . . and I REALLY do hope for your sake that those $50 dollar credit card bills you're paying a month is the full amount due, and not just the min. required. . . Or else you're f*cked, and should think about taking a financial management class or something if you don't want to graduate with a million dollars in debt.

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
im sorry but im gonna have to say get rid of the car too and that goes for the insureance too and gas, so thats an extra 400 bucks right there. this doesnt even include the money u have to spend on various maintnence/oil change on the car.

Static911

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2000
Like everyone said above, you gotta sacrifice something. Whether it is your time (getting another job), material things (car) or life (going crazy since you cannot afford everything), one thing must go.

best of luck and I hope you go nice to me whenver I do a staples price match. (The first and only time I ever did a pricematch for an Elsa Geforce 2 GTS for $138.xx was very smooth. The rep was very nice.

static911

Lars

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2001

<<

<< you're about 3 years too late and 2 million short in cash =P

>>

What is that EQ thing?
>>

EQ = EverQuest

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001

<< "finding" more money is going to be alot harder than cutting your expenses. . . But the easiest way to cut down on your college expense is to become an RA. School'll pay for your room & board which should be a few grand a sem. And if you have a scholarship that pays for that, the money'll go straight to your pocket. >>

That is exactly what i'm doing, and it helps a LOT.