Pontiac Aztek

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
It looks as if somebody crashed into the back end of it.

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
My local dealership is now giving free bicycles for people who purchase Aztecs...due to low sales.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< They're cool on the inside >>

Are you sure that you are OK? ;) The inside is just as rank as the exterior. Same old GM cheap-ass materials and styling and grey Pontiac switchgear.

<< My local dealership is now giving free bicycles for people who purchase Aztecs...due to low sales. >>

BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ;)

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Haha, you got that right. That car is BUTT UGLY.

However, I don't think our 2000 Montana is that bad. It's got quite a kick to it and and EXCELLENT on gas, holy sh!t! (we did get the 3.8L 200HP instead of the standard 3.1L 185HP though).

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< They should give a free Aztec to anyone purchasing 2 bicycles! >>

You couldn't give me that piece of shit. Even if I were to accept it if it were given to me, I wouldn't be able to sell it B/C NOBODY WANTS IT!!! I'd just have a useless, hideous piece of trash in my driveway.

I guess I could leave it parked in a dark alley with the keys in the ignition. Knowing my luck, it would probably still be there in the morning ;)

Orbius

Golden Member
Oct 13, 1999
The Pontiac Aztek encapsulates everything that is wrong with the American automotive industry. Someone needs to bitchslap the Managers and Designers who are responsible for this monstrosity.

The rest of the world knows that if you build mechanically reliable, fun to drive, well styled vehichles that people will buy them.

GM has their head so far up their beehinds that they still havent caught onto this. They still think that they can produce plasticky junk, with coarse engines, mediocre handling, poor reliability, as long as they put 2 million commercials on Tv saying how wonderful their cars are.

I can just see the loser Managers coming up with the Aztek, well Bob we need a car that will appeal to the 25-34 yr olds, well those SUVs are mighty popular, and those young kids sure do like that action lifestyle. Lets put a fuggin tent in the thing and sell a piece of plastic junk to those morons.

GM design a solid car first, then start worrying about putting in air mattresses and tents in the darn thing ok????

Everyone please stop buying GMs crap so they'll be forced to design a decent car!! If Ford can do it GM can too.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Just imagine what the people who buy one must look like. They picked an Aztek and each other and..

SuperGroove

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
I kind of want an Aztek now. Mind you, I need a Porsche 928 as well if I'm ever going to have a car in my garage. I want the Aztek because no one likes it. It'll be unique. Can't say that about ANY GM.

I guess GM's sticking with the Aztek Platform, as Buick is introducing their version of the Aztek. It looks respectable.

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Pontiac Aztek chief designer Tom Peters (currently designing the next Corvette) as quoted in the Los Angeles Times regarding the Aztek's styling:

<< GM's criticized for being conservative, doing things that don't strike home. Our job with the Aztek was to do something that was jarring, a completely different take on design to shake things up. >>

I guess they were pretty worried about Chrysler stealing the American design spotlight for so long so they had to get something revolutionary out fast...they should of brought out the Cadillac Evoq out first and work on the Aztec alittle bit longer.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Pontiac Aztek chief designer - oxymoron

Tom Peters (currently designing the next Corvette) - If it looks anything like the AZTEK, Zora will come back from the dead for revenge.

DaBoneHead

Sep 1, 2000

Interesting. I hadn't so much as heard of an aztek until this thread. Reading about it, I now see what happens when you combine an SUV, mini-van, and too much vodka. Looks like the SUV and the mini-van mated to produce the aztek.

Other than that, according to what I read, it was a 1999 concept car that actually made it to production. It has some interesting and out-of-the-box-thinking features. I think aztek will fail because it tries to be too many things, but I believe that some of the more esoteric features will find their way into mainstream vehicles. So in passing, it will end up a useful foot-note in the history of automaking.

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Believe it or not, Pontiac actually sold 2009 Aztecs in September...but that's still well short of their goal of 5000 Aztecs per month.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Believe it or not, Pontiac actually sold 2009 Aztecs in September >>

2009 suckers born everyday ;)

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well, it's a GM vehicle so is there any wonder why they are giving bicycles away with the purchase of one? What else are you going to use when it's being repaired??? They should probably also include a cell phone preprogrammed to dial the nearest tow truck company -- that would be &quot;thinking out of the box&quot; with some actual usefulness.

I looked online at GM's page and noticed that they still have one of those credit cards with the rebates toward a new car. Then it occurred to me that they would have to pay me the entire cost of a GM vehicle to get me to drive one so it wasn't worth it. I want to buy a pickup for my next vehicle, but I cannot stand the idea of driving around one that sounds like a skin disease (Sonoma).

&quot;I have a Sonoma.&quot;
&quot;Oh, really, man? I'm so sorry. Is it treatable?&quot;

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
supergroove

If you want a &quot;unique&quot; car how about buying a neon and taking a hammer to the doors on it,then paint the front in yellow, and throw a can of pink paint on the back. It will be unique and STILL look better than the aztek.

LOL @ Andrew R!!!

Anyway, everyone knows that if you want a real pickup you have to pick up a bloody big Ford F-something :)

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Well, I haven't seen one up close or driven one, but I thought they look pretty cool on the commercials.

I thought it was cool to be able to slide a full 4'x8' sheet of plywood in the back. I also liked the tent idea...

Oh well. I won't buy one, but I thought it had it's good points. I don't even know what kind of engine or suspension it has. I definitely wouldn't buy one if those sucked...

amish

CoolTechie

Jul 20, 2000
hmmm i dunno.. i just looked at some pictures of it.. and i kinda like it.. it looks like a mini tank.. put some blackouts on those directionals on a black aztec.. i think that would look pretty nasty.. like ready for battle.. i dunno.. whatver