Pompeo melts down in NPR interview

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
This is the guy that made his bones as the premier anti-Obama conspiracist--literally his only public experience before being elected as a woefully unqualified representative for the GOP, only a few years ago. I'm utterly shocked at his complete lack of stability and profound distaste for logical rhetoric.

But-but-but first in his class at West Point!!! Harvard Law Review!!! He was supposed to be one of the edumacated Republicans like Paul Ryan!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
To the best of my knowledge, this is not satire:
066fd92d3a6d19fac8b9396100657829.jpg

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
To the best of my knowledge, this is not satire:
066fd92d3a6d19fac8b9396100657829.jpg

Lol..He must think Americans who aren't Trump cult members will buy something like that statement. Liars accusing other people of being liars. And straight to playing the victim.

So the test was 'Show me Ukraine on a map'? Lets see his boss Trump try to find it, first. If he gets confused he'll just take a sharpie and draw it in... somewhere.

Last edited:

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
The mere suggestion that a European Studies major from Cambridge would confuse Ukraine and Bangladesh says more about the person who wrote that statement than it does about Mary Louise Kelly.

If they wanted to claim she pointed at the wrong spot on the map, they should’ve used Turkey or Romania or any shot along the Black Sea.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Pompeo lashes out at journalist; NPR defends its reporter

WASHINGTON (AP) — Secretary of State Mike Pompeo lashed out in anger Saturday at an NPR reporter who accused him of shouting expletives at her after she asked him in an interview about Ukraine. In a direct and personal attack, America's chief diplomat said the journalist had “lied” to him and he called her conduct “shameful.”

NPR said it stood by Mary Louise Kelly's reporting.

Pompeo claimed in a statement that the incident was “another example of how unhinged the media has become in its quest to hurt” President Donald Trump and his administration. Pompeo, a former CIA director and Republican congressman from Kansas who is one of Trump's closest allies in the Cabinet, asserted, "It is no wonder that the American people distrust many in the media when they so consistently demonstrate their agenda and their absence of integrity.”

In making such a personal attack on a journalist, he is following the lead of Trump, who has repeatedly derided what he calls “fake news” and ridiculed individual reporters. In one of the more memorable instances, Trump mocked a New York Times reporter with a physical disability.

In Friday’s interview, Pompeo responded testily when Kelly asked him about Ukraine and specifically Marie Yovanovitch, the U.S. ambassador in Kyiv whose ouster figured in Trump’s impeachment.

After the interview, Kelly said she was taken to Pompeo’s private living room, where he shouted at her “for about the same amount of time as the interview itself,” using the “F-word” repeatedly. She said he was not happy to have been questioned about Ukraine.

Pompeo, in his statement, did not deny shouting at Kelly and did not apologize. Instead, he accused her of lying to him when setting up the interview, which he apparently expected would be limited to questions about Iran, and for supposedly agreeing not to discuss the post-interview meeting.

He ended his statement by saying, “It is worth nothing that Bangladesh is NOT Ukraine.”

Kelly said Pompeo, after the interview, asked whether she thought Americans cared about Ukraine and if she could find the country on a map.

“I said yes, and he called out for aides to bring us a map of the world with no writing,” she said in discussing the encounter on “All Things Considered.” “I pointed to Ukraine. He put the map away. He said, ‘people will hear about this.’”

Nancy Barnes, NPR’s senior vice president of news, said in a statement that "Kelly has always conducted herself with the utmost integrity, and we stand behind this report.''

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Can a cabinet member be impeached?
Per the Constitution, any civil federal officer may be impeached for "treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.". This means representatives, cabinet members, and even Supreme Court justices may be impeached. The term "civil officer" has been interpreted to include all U.S.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Given Pompeo's belief that it's worth noting that Bangladesh is NOT Ukraine, I hope reporters give him a chance to point out other things worth noting. "Secretary Pompeo, can you confirm that China is not Paraguay? Secretary Pompeo, is Chad Indonesia? Secretary Pompeo, is it worth noting that Cheez Doodles are not historical romance novels?"

Idiot. He wants to gaslight us, we the people should hand the lighter fluid right back to him.

Feb 4, 2009
Given Pompeo's belief that it's worth noting that Bangladesh is NOT Ukraine, I hope reporters give him a chance to point out other things worth noting. "Secretary Pompeo, can you confirm that China is not Paraguay? Secretary Pompeo, is Chad Indonesia? Secretary Pompeo, is it worth noting that Cheez Doodles are not historical romance novels?"

Idiot. He wants to gaslight us, we the people should hand the lighter fluid right back to him.

Meh, he’d just say they are being mean to him

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Pompeo didn't want to be faced with what every conman and every corrupted politician fears the most:

Being confronted by the media with what they know they're guilty of and are trying their utmost best to avoid being called out on it.

And when they do get cornered and they have to try to slime their way through the humiliating moment, well out come the rage and the spittle spraying f-bombs while they execute the 'ol escape and evade move ending with the typical show of force "fuck with me will ya? I'll show you!" lol

Serves him right to try to act innocent in the face of committing crimes that they think they're supposed to be getting away with.