Pollsters really asked "Who Would Win a Fist Fight?" (Obama or Romney)

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
20121018_citi6.png

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-...nore-pundits-partisans-huffpo-data-says-obama

Haven't read through the complete article yet, but that graphic made me laugh (pollsters really asked these questions?).

edit: few good insights from Citi analysis discussed in the ZH article:
"Favorability ratings are highly correlated with election results, and Romney was hampered by his “upside down” ratings all year."
"The premise of the Romney campaign remains problematic.

Romney is ahead of the president in most assessments of his competence on the economy, the overwhelming top priority of voters this year. Romney has argued that Obama should be fired because of the sluggish state of the US economy. But despite slow growth and high unemployment, voters may have lowered their expectations for the recovery, and may not be focusing on these indicators as much as may have been expected.

For those who ask why Romney doesn’t lead in an environment of US economic woe and a global anti-incumbent trend, this number may hold the key. A recent Pew poll found that only 36% of Independents, the quintessential swing voters, had heard bad news about the economy recently. The balance heard good or neutral news.

This number is striking because it highlights the struggle that has faced Romney all year."
20121018_citi3_0.png

trialheats1980.png

“Reagan was a non-establishment figure who came from a lower middle class background,” he said. “He had been a Democrat. He had great empathy for working people because he had been one. Mitt Romney, the only working people he knows are his servants.”

“I knew Ronald Reagan,” Stone added. “Ronald Reagan was a friend of mine. And Mitt Romney is no Ronald Reagan.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0912/81566_Page3.html
"We also reiterate our earlier view that the political status quo will continue after the US election: Obama in the White House, Republicans in the US House, and Democrats in the Senate. Republican chances to win the Senate have receded since our last update.

Of the ten Senate races we identified as competitive according to the polling data, Republicans lead today in three (Arizona, Indiana, Nevada), none of which is held by Democrats. Democrats lead in seven (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Virginia and Wisconsin). Retirements will be a wash: Democrats will pick up Maine, while Republicans will pick up Nebraska. Other races, like Florida and Ohio, are not competitive and will be Democratic holds.

Republicans need four seats to take control, but a Democratic lead in GOP-held Massachusetts may mean that Republicans could even lose a seat. Republicans appear to have fallen behind in Montana, North Dakota and Wisconsin, not to mention Missouri, where they led earlier in the cycle. Democrats hold only small leads there, as in Virginia and Connecticut. These states will be the chief battlegrounds over final three weeks."

http://election.princeton.edu/2012/08/15/ryan-is-a-game-changer-but-not-for-romney/
20121018_citi5.png

"Only a handful of legislative leaders will be key players in fiscal cliff negotiations. This is a positive development for the prognosticator, because it means one can ignore the press statements from the pundits and even from most Members of Congress, because they will not be in the room when a deal is cut."

Last edited:

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Hmm,

#1 Captain - Romney -> He is rich, thus.. sailing... Also the whole black folk and water thing ;)
#2 Babysit - Definitely O, not 100% convinced Romney isn't a kid toucher
#3 Fight - Dont know... Obama looks more agile, but Romney has him in the Rage department.
#4 Bungee Jumping -> Neither are under 25 or retarded so, none.
#5 Invasion - Romney, he has Dirty Harry on his side for crissakes.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Who, the guy who killed Osama or the one who fought the Viet Cong in France?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Hmm,

#1 Captain - Romney -> He is rich, thus.. sailing... Also the whole black folk and water thing ;)
#3 Fight - Dont know... Obama looks more agile, but Romney has him in the Rage department.

At the risk of sounding completely racist, let's remember he's half-white - pretty sure that confers neutral buoyancy at least. lol

Still no match for a wealthy New England seamen on the poopdeck though.

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
At the risk of sounding completely racist, let's remember he's half-white - pretty sure that confers neutral buoyancy at least. lol

Lol, good point.. Ill call that one a draw then

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Romney's probably never been in a fight in his lfe (except for the gay guy who's hair he cut)...he pays other people to fight for him. ;)

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Obama is from Hawaii. That negates the black people and water "stereotype", which is normally accurate because black people tend to be poorer and live in cities without access to swimming pools.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
The fistfight question is a tough one. I can't see either one of them getting in a real fight.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Obama is from Hawaii. That negates the black people and water "stereotype", which is normally accurate because black people tend to be poorer and live in cities without access to swimming pools.

I'd like to believe that island residence confers swimming ability, but having lived in the Florida Keys for a number of years I know from first hand experience that is not the case.

You are correct about the roots of that stereotype though.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Hmm,

Excellent analysis. However, I would like to hear your views on skydiving.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Romney is huskier, but Obama is wiry!

Obama lived in Hawaii, so he knows how to swim. He also lived in Indonesia, so for the purposes of this thread I will consider him proficient in pencak silat!

Advantage Obama!

chihlidog

Apr 12, 2011
Captain a ship -> Romney. For reasons stated above.

Babysit -> Romney. I actually think he'd be good with kids.

Fight -> Obama. Seriously, look at them. I do not think Mitt would back down, but Obama's in much better shape. He wins.

Bungee jumping -> Neither, unless something political was at stake. Then I'll take Mittens. He's extremely driven right now. Obama thinks he's above all that.

Invasion - > Romney. Obama would try to negotiate while they were experimenting on our women. Romney would blow them back to Alpha Centuari.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Reminds me of the South Park All About Mormons episode, where Randy is going to kick the mormon father's ass, but checks first to make sure he's white.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Pollsters often throw questions like that in just to see if people are actually paying attention to the questions being asked.