POLL: YACT: What do you think of Audis, specifically the A4?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Audis are great cars in many ways. You test drive one and you can't help but be impressed with the interior and exterior styling coupled with the warmth and materials quality of the cabin. However Audi is at the bottom of the barrel in reliability of luxury marques - what good is jewel-like interior treatment when your car is in the shop more than your neighbor's Buick Lesabre?

SilentZero

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
I like the styling of the A4, its just abit too underpowered for my tastes. Aside from that, Audi's in general are WAY too overpriced. I bought my E46 M3 new for 2k cheaper than what the audi dealer was selling their S4 for, which was marked up like crazy. If it were my money, id go with a 3 series or the like, and you will probably get more performance for less overall money. Dunno what the markup on those cars are in your area but here in hawaii they are pretty high.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm not sure about Hawaii, but here in New York the A4 is a better deal than the 3 series.

From audiusa.com, an black A4 3.0 Quattro 5 speed automatic with black leather, premium package (Xenon headlights, homelink controller, auto-dimming mirrors, and seat memory), sport package (17" tires), and cold weather package (heated front seats and a ski sack) retails at $38,685.

From bmwusa.com, a black 330xi with black leather, cold weather package, premium package, and Xenon headlights is $43,920.
Looking at the specs of these two cars, they seem almost identical on power and features. The 330xi comes standard with the 17" tires, but the Audi came with the Xenon headlights as part of it's premium package.
Yet, the BMW is $5,000 more, and I'm not sure why.

Crappopotamus

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2002
ive got an audi a6 quattro (wagon :( ). excellent interior quality/materials. overly complex controls for EVERYTHING. silky smooth engine.

overall my experience with audi is good.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
they're much better than they were in the 80s, but then, everything is better than audi was in the 80s

SuperGroove

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Originally posted by: ElFenix
they're much better than they were in the 80s, but then, everything is better than audi was in the 80s

Proof?

If anything, Audi's made at 1995 have horrendous reliability. Audi had a sweet spot of reliable cars, and all of them were powered by I5s. An Audi with an I5 is...well..I don't like Audi's without I5s. Maybe I'm biased. Yet, every mechanic that I've been to raves about the I5 (they charge so much to work on it though, so that's why I have to work on it...with help of course)

That said, I wouldn't touch a new Audi.