**POLL** YACT: Should drug screens be required for drivers license?

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
So, seems alot of *dumb* accidents we hear about (Car chases, blowing red lights at 90) seem to involve drugs to some extent. So, should drug screens be required for DL's? Granted, there not fool proof by any means but....

And just so everyone knows, I dont think they should be.

chiwawa626

Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Mabey....but only for like hardcore drugs...or mabey for people who have previous drug related run-ins with the law.

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
I would be all for drug testing to get a license, but there are many more factors that make a bad driver that just simply drugs. It all comes down to responsibility, and no "testing" can decide that.

Anyways, alcohol causes more road-related deaths than any other drug, but it's also the drug that wouldn't show up on tests.

Frodolives

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2001
The amount of bad driving I see on a regular basis is disgusting.

To be quite honest I feel that if we were compelled more by reason and civility than by commerce a license would be a real privelege, as it is supposed to be, and as many as 20% of current drivers would forfeit their privelege by their lack of respect for the law and for others.

I'm not rabid about drug enforcement, but I'd sure love to see some prosecution for some of the reckless driving I witness daily!

AznMaverick

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2001
yup, then a lot of teens wouldn't be driving. (a lot of them being those darn annoying ricers). my opinion anyway...

BruinEd03

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Shockwave
So, seems alot of *dumb* accidents we hear about (Car chases, blowing red lights at 90) seem to involve drugs to some extent. So, should drug screens be required for DL's? Granted, there not fool proof by any means but....

And just so everyone knows, I dont think they should be.

It's gonna cost taxpayers $ and all it does is keep the kid drug-free for the month before the driver's license test. Afterwards the kid is free to toke out....with a license.

-Ed

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl
Originally posted by: Millennium
Originally posted by: ElFenix
i thought most of it was alcohol...

It is. But you can't really screen for that. Might as well screen for what you can right?

Well not really. Just because someone uses drugs in a recreationa lmanner, doesn't mean they are going to drive intoxicated or be a bad driver. If you want to screen for this, then we need to give everyone IQ test and pysch tests in Kindergarten. Go ahead and kill the really smart sociopaths at an early age. Quite a slippery slope.

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Totally meaningless unless it's some kind of periodic unannounced drug test, and of course that wont ever happen. Most driver licenses don't expire for so many years, and if someone is a moron enough not to cut the dope before a test then they'll probably continue driving with an expired license anyways. It's not like an eye exam we're talking about.

jsbush

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2000
I think they should make you retake your drivers test every 5 years or so as a refresher. I think that would get ride of a lot of the bad drivers out there.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
pissing in a cup for a license to drive would have me singing O' Canada! in a jiffy.