Poll: Would you take a free vacation to China?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
CNN

I wouldn't. I'm sure its a nice country and I'd like to visit some day but their policing system seems so ridiculous I wouldn't feel comfortable there at all. The chances of the average tourist getting hasseled by police is really pretty low but at least I know that in plenty of other countries I won't get shafted if I am picked up for something the police deem inappropriate!

kru

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 1999
sure i would.

i'm surprised no one's mentioned the parallel between this and the Wen Ho Lee incident.

HKSturboKID

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
Let say if you did take a vacation there, just becareful. There are so many scam and robberies thats not even funny. One of my relatives are sitting in the lobby of an hotel and get mug at broad daylight. I also heard they are using some voodoo stuff in certain parts of china. My Advice...BE CAREFUL...

RanDum72

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
HKSTurboKID, where did you get your quackery? China doesn't even advocate religion although people there are predominantly Buddhist. Mugging? Secret police are everywhere, they catch you robbing people, you get convicted and shot within two weeks. Don't equate New York with somewhere else.

dukdukgoos

Golden Member
Dec 1, 1999
Of course.

Don't let a spat between our stupid government and their stupid government sour relations with a great people.

And remember, we bombed their embassy first.

CyberTiger

Jun 14, 2000
I would travel there but wouldn't do any kind of business with anyone there. The crimes rates are actually low there compared to the US as crimials get executed for very trivial crimes.

TripleJ

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2001
There are a lot of other places in this world that are far worse. You'd have to do something pretty silly to get nabbed by the cops over there, and their judicial system isn't as fair as many other countries. But I think many of our western views of China are a little distorted and we only see what is portrayed on the TV. The TV can lie a lot of the time.

Asha'man

Oct 15, 1999
hell yeah

crime rate in the US is higher, I even got the advice in Florida that if you ever drive a rental car and you see the flashing lights of a police car behind you, don't stop until you get to a well-lit place with other people around...there had been a lot of mugging and even murders....

ACK!

so yeah I'd go to China, I dared touring the US

Asha'man

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
i have family there.

i would like to take my family back... but my mother and planes don't mix

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Nope...

I heard that some Taiwanese American tourists were jailed there on suspicions of being spies for America.

kru

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 1999
well i'm neither Taiwanese nor American so i guess i have less to worry about. ;)