Poll: World of Warcraft vs. Everquest 2

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
Originally posted by: hdeck
where is the "all mmorpgs suck" option?

Not there because anyone who (wrongly) feels that way wouldn't click on & reply to a post about them unless they were trolling...

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
All I have to point to for the average maturity of each is this thread and every other thread about WoW vs EQ2. BOTH are good games, they are just different. But you will never find a WoW player admit that, they take every chance they get to pretend their game is perfect and EQ2 just sucks. I almost find it funny, their different games, some people will like one over the other.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Dulanic
All I have to point to for the average maturity of each is this thread and every other thread about WoW vs EQ2. BOTH are good games, they are just different. But you will never find a WoW player admit that, they take every chance they get to pretend their game is perfect and EQ2 just sucks. I almost find it funny, their different games, some people will like one over the other.

EQ2 is a pretty good game. Just not for most people.

I play wow, and i admit EQ2 is better in some areas, but WOW is better in most for casual gamers who are first entering the MMORPG scene. Anyone who thinks WoW is perfect needs a reality check, login server crashes, tec etc, but it's pretty damn nice.

Wow addict here, my alt is already lvl 33 :p

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
Anyone else notice how the EQ2 player/ advocates write in these posts that are like a FVCKING novel!!!!!

That is typical of the game, I already have a job thanks, I would rather have fun when I get off of work for the day playing WoW, than go home and work for another 8 hours on EQ2.

Which is exactly what it boils down to, if you like working two jobs, then play EQ2, if you like having fun, then play WoW.

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
Originally posted by: Dulanic

That's odd, I'm a WoW player and have stated plenty of times that it's not perfect and that there are a few ways in which EQ2 is better. The problem with EQ2 isn't so much the game as the company behind it and how they screw their customers and make unrealistic demands of the understaffed, underqualified, and underpaid dev team, and the effects that has on what otherwise might be a good game. Sony = corporate mafia. TBH I only hope WoW will remain entertaining until Vanguard is out.

Please, read before putting people down, you might see you have no justification for doing so... and they're different games. "Their different games" implies you're talking about people who own different games.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
according to PC Gamer, Everquest 2 is good but not that good.

They gave an editors choice award to WOW.

Im not gonna buy either of the two games anytime soon, but if I did it would be WOW

Xenon

Oct 16, 1999
I'm enjoying EQ2. It's up to you what kind of game you want to play. The stories of the super fast leveling in WoW has really turned me off to it. When and if I get to level 50 I want it to mean something. For those interested in giving EQ2 a try do not come with less than 1gb of ram and at least a very very good graphics card. Think 9800pro/6600gt as a minimum.

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
BTW guys, does AT have a WOW clan? I'd like to join, and if there isn't one, let's create it. :)

Yeah, I think there's a post about it in the software forum. Haven't looked into it myself since I'm on IceDown with friends from EQ.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I'm playing EQ2 and don't like it at all. You HAVE to party to get things done, and the people in your party must be within 6 levels of you. The problem is, YOU CAN NEVER FIND ANYONE TO PARTY WITH YOU!!! Parties are usually a 2-4 hour commitment, and the people playing are usually all the uber nerd "I quit my job and got divorced to devote my life to this game, so I'm 40 levels higher than you" or the "I'm 16 and type in all L33T, then leave the group if we don't score a kill every 30 seconds". Yuck. I'm going to jump ship to WoW.

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
Originally posted by: Xenon
The stories of the super fast leveling in WoW has really turned me off to it.

I keep hearing this too and am baffled, it's about the same as it was in the original EverQuest. It may seem faster since the game is a lot of fun and you can gain experience from doing quests as well as grinding.

lomi

Jan 20, 2005
I own both of this games.I have hit 60 in WoW and 50 in EQ2 now.

To cut a long story short i am an old time mmorpg player from back in 1997 with UO.

Honestly speaking in the early levels WoW and EQ2 are neck to neck with WoW winning by a bit.

Mid levels WoW beats EQ2 badly.This is a boring period in EQ2.

However,high end game EQ2 is the champion by a mile over WoW.

Though WoW has pvp its so badly done that if you played DAoC you will be bored of it in under 1 week and thats really all you do in WoW once you hit 60 if you are on a pvp server.If you are not then boredom must be even worse.

EQ2 starts to pick pace after level 45 and keep going.

Also there is much more ineraction EQ2 then WoW and its not because the server capacity of EQ2 servers can take more people.WoW is very solo and not very social.You can be on a server in WoW with 150 on or 1500 and it hardly seems to matter.Everyone is soloing .

So i have decided next month to cancel WoW over EQ2 simply because

a)i like a mmorpg to last me more then 2-3 months.WoW simply is dead after you hit 60 and the pvp is a total bore with no real incentives.EQ2 lacks pvp(hopefully they add it someday) but has so much to do when you max out.

b)the social interaction in WoW is simply pathetic.Much better in EQ2

c)i can see myself logging into EQ2 at xmas 2005.I can't even imagine logging into WoW by mid year even.

I also found much more server outrage with WoW then with EQ2.Those playing on the original WoW are all in long queues for hours.Thankfully,after 3 days of launch i made the move to a less populated server so do not have this issues and as you can see not kept it in my views of this games.

I will not comment on graphics as i am not a big graphics fan.But EQ2 with a good system is much more realistic and better looking.

To me EQ2 is definately a better choice for long term play.Its easy to see why many reviews and site give the nod of WoW over EQ2 simply put i did the same because until you get past the mid levels WoW looks way better then EQ2 but after that forget it EQ2 keeps rising and WoW basically becomes same old same old .

lomi

Jan 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Gurck

I keep hearing this too and am baffled, it's about the same as it was in the original EverQuest. It may seem faster since the game is a lot of fun and you can gain experience from doing quests as well as grinding.

Nope its fast because its simply fast.I took 10 day gameplay to hit 60 and thats not much i know people who did it in 6-7 days gameplay.
I did a lot of running around and pvp on the side and still did it in 10 day gameplay.

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
Originally posted by: lomi

Nope its fast because its simply fast.I took 10 day gameplay to hit 60 and thats not much i know people who did it in 6-7 days gameplay.
I did a lot of running around and pvp on the side and still did it in 10 day gameplay.

I'm at 15.5 days /played and just dinged 50. I've gone after a mix of greatly enjoying the game, which entails exploring and such, and levelling, since I wanted to catch up with a few friends who started before me. I don't believe you got 60 in 10 days played, much less anyone you know in 6-7, without utilizing some kind of exploit. Sorry, just doesn't seem possible. Did you really register just to insult the game? ;)

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004

To cut a long story short i am an old time mmorpg player from back in 1997 with UO.

Honestly speaking in the early levels WoW and EQ2 are neck to neck with WoW winning by a bit.

Though WoW has pvp its so badly done that if you played DAoC you will be bored of it in under 1 week and thats really all you do in WoW once you hit 60 if you are on a pvp server.If you are not then boredom must be even worse.

Also there is much more ineraction EQ2 then WoW and its not because the server capacity of EQ2 servers can take more people.WoW is very solo and not very social.You can be on a server in WoW with 150 on or 1500 and it hardly seems to matter.Everyone is soloing .

a)i like a mmorpg to last me more then 2-3 months.WoW simply is dead after you hit 60 and the pvp is a total bore with no real incentives.EQ2 lacks pvp(hopefully they add it someday) but has so much to do when you max out.

c)i can see myself logging into EQ2 at xmas 2005.I can't even imagine logging into WoW by mid year even.

I also found much more server outrage with WoW then with EQ2.Those playing on the original WoW are all in long queues for hours.Thankfully,after 3 days of launch i made the move to a less populated server so do not have this issues and as you can see not kept it in my views of this games.

I will not comment on graphics as i am not a big graphics fan.But EQ2 with a good system is much more realistic and better looking.

To me EQ2 is definately a better choice for long term play.Its easy to see why many reviews and site give the nod of WoW over EQ2 simply put i did the same because until you get past the mid levels WoW looks way better then EQ2 but after that forget it EQ2 keeps rising and WoW basically becomes same old same old .

Please post a link to your char profile on wowplayers so I can point and laugh at the hollow unequipped shell of an L60 that only solos....

I guarantee my gear at 48 is better than any L60 that soloed all the way up...
there is no way you can get the uber items from any L40+ instance alone even at 60...
let alone solo scholamance or BRS/BRD or the temple...

You played the game to grind.. which is not how WoW was designed...
I see so many L60s with literally crap equipment casue they soloed all the way up.. then they inspect me a lowly 48 and go wow where did you get those blue and purple items...

Yes i am in the most powerful L60 guild on Gorefiend.. yes we have 45 L60s costantly farming BRS for Onyxia keys so alot of gear gets passed down... but if you look at our profiles you will see we are the ebst eqiupped on the server...
including the Horde Uber guild...

There is SOOO much to do at L60 and so much gear to get ready for dragon and battlegrounds...

there is way more top level content at this stage than L50 content in EQ2...
sorry but just becasue you powerleveled solo past the best part of the game doesnt mean there is no content...

CV-SiN
Sinister Gorefiend
www.afraidyet.net

lomi

Jan 20, 2005

I'm at 15.5 days /played and just dinged 50. I've gone after a mix of greatly enjoying the game, which entails exploring and such, and levelling, since I wanted to catch up with a few friends who started before me. I don't believe you got 60 in 10 days played, much less anyone you know in 6-7, without utilizing some kind of exploit. Sorry, just doesn't seem possible. Did you really register just to insult the game? ;)

LOL thats so funny .Take this to offical forum and ask how many got level 60 within 10 days gameplay and see the replies.

Xenif made it in 7 days gameplay and he was wildely posted upon and he himself posted this as he was first to do it.Do you really think a exploiter would go un noticed been so public.

There are numerous of us level 60s running around as it is.

Sorry but if you think i needed exploit to get to level 60 thats your problem not mine.I have never used one and see no reason to exploit.

Fact remains it seems to even mention ingame that WoW has any problems is to get a barrage of insults.

At least in EQ2 you can say in general(ooc there) that so and so is messed up in EQ2 and not get the flying insults.

Shows where the mature gamers went to and reinforces my views in the everlasting WoW vs EQ2 debate.

I am happy at least i seen the end game of both to judge where i be playing for the next few months.

Up to rest to decide.

lomi

Jan 20, 2005
Originally posted by: CVSiN

Please post a link to your char profile on wowplayers so I can point and laugh at the hollow unequipped shell of an L60 that only solos....

there is no way you can get the uber items from any L40+ instance alone even at 60...

I see so many L60s with literally crap equipment casue they soloed all the way up.. then they inspect me a lowly 48 and go wow where did you get those blue and purple items...

Yes i am in the most powerful L60 guild on Gorefiend.. yes we have 45 L60s costantly farming BRS for Onyxia keys so alot of gear gets passed down... but if you look at our profiles you will see we are the ebst eqiupped on the server...

There is SOOO much to do at L60 and so much gear to get ready for dragon and battlegrounds...

sorry but just becasue you powerleveled solo past the best part of the game doesnt mean there is no content...

CV-SiN
Sinister Gorefiend
www.afraidyet.net

Fact you probably have never touched EQ2(or at least made level 50 in EQ2) means you have no idea what there is to do at level 50.

And fact you yourself say you are only level 48 in WoW means you have no idea of what it is like at level 60 in WoW and hence can not judge what there is to offer at level 60 sorry.

Yes i might grind hard but at least i have maxed out both games and can judge what the high end content has to offer.

When you hit the maxed out level of both games you can come and call my post garbage .Until then your comments are restricted to knowledge of ONE of the two at mid level range.

If you say oh i played EQ2 to late 30s and WoW to late 40s and i think WoW is better I would say yes you have a comparision view there(note i even awarded mid levels to WoW).

But to come and say EQ2 has less content at max levels then WoW when you might have not even have played EQ2 past a few levels(if at all) and as you state not even hit max level in WoW is so funny as you don't know and at best are relating to 2nd or 3rd or even 4th hand information.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
How many hours per day / week do you spend on it Iomi? I get a strong impression that WoW is more friendly to people with less time than EQ2...? I played WoW beta, but never touched EQ2 myself.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004

CV-SiN
Sinister Gorefiend
www.afraidyet.net

Fact you probably have never touched EQ2(or at least made level 50 in EQ2) means you have no idea what there is to do at level 50.

And fact you yourself say you are only level 48 in WoW means you have no idea of what it is like at level 60 in WoW and hence can not judge what there is to offer at level 60 sorry.

Yes i might grind hard but at least i have maxed out both games and can judge what the high end content has to offer.

When you hit the maxed out level of both games you can come and call my post garbage .Until then your comments are restricted to knowledge of ONE of the two at mid level range.

If you say oh i played EQ2 to late 30s and WoW to late 40s and i think WoW is better I would say yes you have a comparision view there(note i even awarded mid levels to WoW).

But to come and say EQ2 has less content at max levels then WoW when you might have not even have played EQ2 past a few levels(if at all) and as you state not even hit max level in WoW is so funny as you don't know and at best are relating to 2nd or 3rd or even 4th hand information.

Wrong again newbie...
i have been L60 several times over the beta period for WoW...
now I just dont have the time..
my entire guild is L60.. we all started on day 1...
I know exactly what there is to do at L60 in wow.. as my guild is prepping for Onxyia this Sunday and they have been prepping for 2 weeks non stop farming the L60 instances...
each run though takes 3-4 hours
then they do it again...
do you have a full set of L60 epic armour from BRS/Schoolo?
didnt think so...

Yes I also played EQ2 in beta and release..
the game is completely laughable for content and for design...
there is less than 50% of what WoW content has at L60...

At this point if WoW gets thier battlegrounds and PVP system in place it will make the top level game in WoW 75% more content...

So it comes down to who can patch thier game faster with high level content... EQ2 has next to none compared to the high level isntances for WoW...

BTW newb where is your L60 char profile what server and guild is his newbness from?
I told you were to find ours... Sinister on gorefiend use wowrankings.com and take a look...

apparently i hit a nerve on your gear.. guess you really are a wortless newbie...
piss off...

lomi

Jan 20, 2005
Originally posted by: everman
How many hours per day / week do you spend on it Iomi? I get a strong impression that WoW is more friendly to people with less time than EQ2...? I played WoW beta, but never touched EQ2 myself.

Nearly 21 days played.

Would not have even been possble if not for my brother who took over the account while I played WoW and a good guild group.

Yes WoW is much more casual.If you have a few hours a week only to play take up WoW is my advise.

By the time you hit level 60 in a few months time they may have added more content and made PvP more meaniful.

By as things stands its not a long haul mmorpg at all but an excellent mmorpg if you have never played one before as its quite easy.

Which makes the need to exploit to level in WoW even seems funnier to me now.

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
LOL thats so funny .Take this to offical forum and ask how many got level 60 within 10 days gameplay and see the replies.

Xenif made it in 7 days gameplay and he was wildely posted upon and he himself posted this as he was first to do it.Do you really think a exploiter would go un noticed been so public.

There are numerous of us level 60s running around as it is.

Sorry but if you think i needed exploit to get to level 60 thats your problem not mine.I have never used one and see no reason to exploit.

Fact remains it seems to even mention ingame that WoW has any problems is to get a barrage of insults.

At least in EQ2 you can say in general(ooc there) that so and so is messed up in EQ2 and not get the flying insults.

Shows where the mature gamers went to and reinforces my views in the everlasting WoW vs EQ2 debate.

I am happy at least i seen the end game of both to judge where i be playing for the next few months.

Up to rest to decide.

The notoriety doesn't come until a person's 60 with supposedly X number of days played - at which point they'd be done exploiting and therefore not have to worry about getting caught.

Obviously there are numerous level 60s - the game has been out for two months. I never said you need to exploit to hit 60, only that you need to to do that in 10 days or less. Please; if you have to put words in my mouth to have an argument, consider that it may be better to keep your own shut.

WoW servers have a great deal of stability issues, and mine (Icedown) is among the worst. Speaking about it in general has gotten agreement, not flames. For the most part I see others like me; EQers who got sick of Sony raping Norrath a zone at a time and switched. If anything, Sony has attracted the young and/or stupid crowd with terrible treatment of customers (intelligent & mature people don't continue to pay for that) and plotlines for its expansions that read like B movies or comic books intended for very young children. "PST" originated in a Sony game, as did player-run casinos - don't forget that.

I find your motives highly suspect. You sign up and immediately begin to lick sony's rear end while putting down Blizzard and WoW - what is your agenda? Are you a Sony employee?

At any rate, I think the results of the poll say pretty much all that needs to be said. Sony is incapable of making a good game.

lomi

Jan 20, 2005

CV-SiN
Sinister Gorefiend
www.afraidyet.net

Wrong again newbie...
i have been L60 several times over the beta period for WoW...
now I just dont have the time..
my entire guild is L60.. we all started on day 1...
I know exactly what there is to do at L60 in wow.. as my guild is prepping for Onxyia this Sunday and they have been prepping for 2 weeks non stop farming the L60 instances...
each run though takes 3-4 hours
then they do it again...
do you have a full set of L60 epic armour from BRS/Schoolo?
didnt think so...

Yes I also played EQ2 in beta and release..
the game is completely laughable for content and for design...
there is less than 50% of what WoW content has at L60...

At this point if WoW gets thier battlegrounds and PVP system in place it will make the top level game in WoW 75% more content...

So it comes down to who can patch thier game faster with high level content... EQ2 has next to none compared to the high level isntances for WoW...

BTW newb where is your L60 char profile what server and guild is his newbness from?
I told you were to find ours... Sinister on gorefiend use wowrankings.com and take a look...

apparently i hit a nerve on your gear.. guess you really are a wortless newbie...
piss off...

Just as example of the immature players you see in WoW for all those planning to pick it up.

Common spam is noob on anything you say in WoW as seen by this guy.

I am sure you also hit level 50 in EQ2 several times in beta(please say you did so i can laugh) and know the high end content there too.

And no nerve hit with gear and have no intrest in giving you my name for you to create characters to spam me ingame as I can clearly see what type of person you are like.

I am happy pixel gear makes you feel very happy sadly it takes more then that to impress me into rating a mmorpg for a long haul.Its the fun factor and adventuring i care about.

Very immature,very rabid players plagues WoW .So if anyone is concerned about the community in mmorpg please not this guy is not an exception but the average player you will meet there.

I have given my view on both games sad it does not please some that they have resorted to insulting me (very immature).

So far been called a an exploiter and a noob for my views.Wonder whats next LOL.