• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Poll: will humans ever move beyond religion?

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
7,956
1
0
With all the religions that have come and gone over the history of mankind, will humans ever decide as a group to abandon the thought of a "greater being"?

Maybe when a certain technological breakthrough happens, maybe if aliens are shown to exist, maybe something else.
 

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
14,637
2
0
Man has always believed in a higher power and likely always will, I bet.
I think Atheist's just have a too strict definition of god, but good for them anyway.
 

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
32,238
52
91
I think that we may eventually abandon organized religion but I don't think humans as a whole will ever lose their belief in a higher being.
 

stormbv

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2000
3,446
1
0
I think humans will eventually implement "religion" into their minds and move beyond outward expressions of belief, since it wouldn't be needed.
 

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
12,677
482
126
A better question would be:

Will the members of ATOT ever abandon posting this flamefest topic?
 

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
14,372
6
81
Originally posted by: iloveme2
I think that we may eventually abandon organized religion but I don't think humans as a whole will ever lose their belief in a higher being.

I agree. And I don't care if the person calls it God, or Allah, or Jesus, or Mother Nature. There has to be a higher being, cause if we are all there is, we are well and truly fvcked!

:)
 

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
6,677
1
0
Originally posted by: ThaGrandCow
With all the religions that have come and gone over the history of mankind, will humans ever decide as a group to abandon the thought of a "greater being"?

Maybe when a certain technological breakthrough happens, maybe if aliens are shown to exist, maybe something else.
I believe in aliens, evolution, various other scientific facts and probabilities and I still believe in God. Why should I stop believing in a greater force than myself just because of discrepancies between a book and science?
 

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
5,086
1
0
Originally posted by: KarenMarie
Originally posted by: iloveme2
I think that we may eventually abandon organized religion but I don't think humans as a whole will ever lose their belief in a higher being.

I agree. And I don't care if the person calls it God, or Allah, or Jesus, or Mother Nature. There has to be a higher being, cause if we are all there is, we are well and truly fvcked!

:)
thats how i feel too.
 

stormbv

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2000
3,446
1
0
Originally posted by: Balt
A better question would be:

Will the members of ATOT ever abandon posting this flamefest topic?
Would ATOT exist without it? :p
 

matt426malm

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2003
1,280
0
0
Hmmm, more non-believers now than say 50 years ago. If there are aliens somehow some people of religon will fail to understand that alien CULTURE did not develop a religon or one similar to their's. I think we are forever in the minority.
 

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
20,583
431
126
In a highly evolved state millions of years from now, we'll either completely believe or completely disbelieve. I tend to think it'll end on the side of disbelief as science exposes us to more and more truths about the universe.
 

stormbv

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2000
3,446
1
0
Originally posted by: yllus
In a highly evolved state millions of years from now, we'll either completely believe or completely disbelieve. I tend to think it'll end on the side of disbelief as science exposes us to more and more truths about the universe.
What about the universe inside of our Selves? I look into my Self and get a lot of thinking done while I'm watching my own stars. :)
 

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
13,430
13
81
Unfortunately, there will always be a significant percentage of humans who need to be told what to think (and a fair number who gladly help them out in this endeavor) and need to have the threat of eternal damnation to keep them from stealing stereos. I don't see religion disappearing, especially considering that it represents a huge part of many people's social lives.

I'm not saying that all religious folk are mindless sheep (or even very many are). I'm just saying that those who ARE mindless sheep will continue to need religion to rely on.
 

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
40,736
670
126
Since science can't disprove the existence of god(s) and a spiritual nature for mankind, there will always be people who believe in them. And agnostics like me who lack faith but accept the possibility that faith has value.
 

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
5,071
2
81
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
Since science can't disprove the existence of god(s) and a spiritual nature for mankind, there will always be people who believe in them. And agnostics like me who lack faith but accept the possibility that faith has value.
Since no one can prove the existence either, why believe in it? If told you in 2030 the earth is going to suddenly become perfect, no suffering, no working/job, no fighting.. just perfect.. you'd have to believe me right? becuase you cant prove me wrong..

My friend who was very christian (went to christian school, church twice a week...) crashed into a light post and was taken out.. Where was God on that one? sleeping? All they could do at the funeral was 'Have faith in gods decision to take him from us. It was his time'.

Riiight, whatever helps the simple minded sleep at night.

As long as there is weak minded and insecure people, religion will exist.
 

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
30,217
11
81
Quit this sh!t.

Athiests, you're right.

Christians, you're right.

You're not going to convince each other. Neither of you is stupid for their thought. So just fvcking quit it already!
 

ViperXX

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2001
2,059
7
81
How can you not believe in God?

Matter and energy are neither created nor destroyed. You have a spirit contained within your body which is made of a type of energy. When your physical body dies your spirit will continue to live.

Believe, it's what gives us hope and a purpose in life.
 

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
2,685
0
0
If anyone watched Star Trek they would know that in the future humanity gets over it for the most part, but the Klingons still go to Klingon church. The answer is yes.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY