Poll: Why do Republicans keep having frequent associations with White Nationalists and Antisemites?

Why do Republicans keep supporting/meeting with white nationalists and antisemites?

• GOP really not associating with these people. It's a media creation

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This isn't the first time but a long list of frequent occasions Republicans attending events, supporting openly racist and antisemitic people. When they are caught often you get the Trump excuse, "I didn't know". One time a Republicans had the stones to just react "so what"

The excuse making includes "this is not who Trump is". It's time to introduce those people to the Maya Angelou axiom, "when people show you who they are, believe them"

My question is why does this keep constantly happening with Republicans. I think there are only a few possibilities and I will include them in this poll. (Feel free to search the forum for many other examples)

Leader of the Republican Party breaking bread with these people.
Trump Admitted To Dining With An Antisemite (Kanye) And A White Nationalist At Mar-A-Lago (yahoo.com)

Reactions: Leeea

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Today's GOP is the very same old tent of segregationists and grand wizards and Lynch mob old white racists that they were when they fled the Civil Rights era new Democratic party of the 60s. Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms enshrined their unrepentant racism of their people into the eternal platform of the GOP.

There is no running away from that, whatever they want to tell themselves. Plenty of "moderate" republicans don't believe that they are exactly as racist as the icons of their party, but these same people unquestionably vote for and idolize unmistakable racists and general bigots like Reagan, and of course Trump. These idolized visions that they keep of "who they are" are exactly what they are, and it really isn't confusing.

They are every bit the hateful, racist, theocratic social terrorists that their party has always been; they just use new words to describe themselves and make themselves feel better.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
As De La Soul put it: "Every person that voted for Donald is not a racist,
but every racist who voted probably voted for Donald Trump."

Racists are attracted to politicians and parties that lean even slightly toward their goals, and the Republican party is definitely more suited to them than the Democrats. Anti-immigration? Yes. Policies that disenfranchise non-whites, even if just out of a cynical attempt to rig elections? You bet. Attempts to silence criticism of institutional racism, and attack even the most necessary diversity efforts? Absolutely.

And while the GOP does have some moderates, it also can't afford to distance itself from racists — they're a significant part of the voter base. Let's say 10 percent of historical Republican voters are flagrantly racist (the number is purely arbitrary). If they stay home because the GOP candidates are more immigration-friendly or agree that systemic racism is still a problem... well, that's frequently a win for the Democrats.

In other words, the party won't truly turn away from racism until it becomes clear that even tolerating the behavior will consistently lose elections. That could happen as demographics become more diverse, but I'm not expecting that shift for a long while.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
A party is a concept, a group of people. It cannot be anything more than its parts, in the same way a company or organization cannot have a political affiliation. The people are racist and antisemitic, and so the group behaves in that fashion. Note, it doesn't require all, or even a majority of individuals to bend the will of the collective. Just a vocal group and a weak-minded majority.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
The correct answer (not listed above) is they will vote for them.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Second answer gets you there.
Not quite the same thing - these people might be catered to to get the votes but they dont' necessarily represent the values of 'true' republicans. Basically the republican party is a dying party as young folks dis-favor it and the party stays in power via germanding and catering to anyone who will vote for them by the actual populace vote i believe is slowly decreasing.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Take away bigotry and fear-mongering, and what does the GOP have? People will do a lot in the name of "security". We invaded Iraq, Putin invaded Ukraine for "security" reasons. All that would be left is naked pandering to the interests of the rich (that some of the rubes might start seeing once you remove the boogeymen). Unfortunately there's no shortage of boogeymen to be had, and if needed just make some up.

Maga after all really means "when the right people in America were on top, and others knew their place."

Reactions: hal2kilo
Nov 29, 2006
To me the party is racist. If you push racist agendas, pass laws, and try to disenfranchise certain people, then you are racist. There is a reason those types gravitate to that party.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
"I'm not calling Mr. Desantis a racist, I'm simply saying the racists believe he's a racist." - Andrew Gillum

This effectively sums up many (if not most) Republican politicians' relationship with their constituents, imo.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
To me the party is racist. If you push racist agendas, pass laws, and try to disenfranchise certain people, then you are racist. There is a reason those types gravitate to that party.
Agreed. Actions speak louder than words.