Poll: Who is less considerate on the road? Cabs or truck drivers?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I don't really like cab drivers, they drive with a lot of attitude.

However, for me personally truck drivers are even worse (bus included). Got in a scrape a month ago with a bus driver who thought that since his bus outweighed my car many times I was going to give right of way. I didn't and we got in a minor scrape; now waiting for the money from him (haha). Then so often large trucks that might be taking a left out of somewhere to my right just barge into my lane and expect me to stop hard when they should have waited...I do, but today I damn near edged right up to an 18-wheeler so close he could have only turned by literally crashing into my car. I'm sure he would have cursed because I'd have essentially locked him into the middle of the road (since he wouldn't have hit me) but it would nearly have been worth it. The damn truck drivers really need to learn some manners!

Yes yes, not all are bad but most of my complaints are with big vehicles. Sometimes when their turning radius comes into your lane they actually curse until you move back! One guy did this to me and although I moved back I did give him the stiff finger and laid the horn on; in retrospect I should have just sat there and if he came out told him that good manners reward people. Grr it makes me mad.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Cab drivers are the worst, without question. You should see the ones in this area. I swear INS just hands them their drivers license as soon as they cross the border. Truck drivers seem to be far more careful.

Russ, NCNE

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
They're both far better than your average soccer mom driving the Ford Behemoth XLT.

Edit: I'd like to add that truck drivers are usually very courteous. On my recent road trip out to Seattle, most truck drivers would stay in the right lane, turn off their brights, etc. But there were several jerks that decided to try to pass the truck going 40 MPH up a mountain but only going 45 MPH.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I've found truck drivers to be some of the best drivers, rarely do they take the right of way.

lupin

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Truck drivers are very considerate drivers on the road. Taxi drivers are not as considerate, but they're still better than the average soccer woman driving the Ford Behemoth XLT. :p

Optimus

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2000
While I've never had much trouble with either, I find that there are more courteous and safe truck drivers on average that cab drivers. BUT, that said, I'm more worried about one bad driver behind the wheel of a massive multi-ton truck than I am about a whole fleet of cab drivers in buicks.

The worst on average I find to be SUV drivers, but also terrible are rented trucks and smaller delivery van/trucks - lots of size and weight (when loaded) and little to no skills and experience. They try to drive them like they driver thier car and ignore changes to momentum and visibility.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
When I was going to college, there were times I would ride my bicycle home for the weekend, which is a 75-mile trip along a mostly-two-lane state highway with a very wide shoulder. Some of these trips were at night with rechargeable and/or generator light systems. The only people who ever had the thoughtfulness to dim their headlights even when approaching me from behind, were the professional truck drivers. Since I use a helmet-mounted rearview mirror, I appreciated their thoughtfulness--high-beam headlights sear the eyes pretty badly. They also would take pains to pull as far to the left as possible so as to not blast me around with their draft, which unfortunately deprived me of a nice 5-second turbo boost. ;) I hugged the right side of the road whenever I saw one in my mirror, not because I was scared of their draft, but so that they would not pull so far out that I couldn't grab some draft after they'd passed.

Thanks to all the professional drivers, you are a pleasure to share the road with compared to the average motorists here.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I should almost add mini-van drivers. I find that many of them drive as if they're in a sports car ignoring the fact that their car is just _asking_ for an excuse to roll!

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Truck drivers are some of the best drivers out there.... can't say the same for bus or cab drivers though. On my trips home from school or from home to school, (350 mile trip) trucks seem to have the best manners on the road. Cab and bus drivers in NYC are horrid. But the most reckless drivers you'll ever find are cab drivers in Taiwan. Those guys will run a family over for a fare.

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
Lets see..

Last week, sitting at a small intersection, 18 wheeler needs to turn left in front of me as I sit at a stop light. I'm behind the stop line, in a perfectly normal place. The dude can't make the turn. I have to back up so that his trailer doesn't run over the top of my car. Minivan behind me won't/can't back up even though my reverse lights are on and the cab of the trailer is right next to him. So I sit there inching back and waiting through 2 rotations of the light as the driver tries to make the turn. Neighborhood streets are NOT made for 18 wheelers.

On my way home from school this morning, truck is turning left at an intersection and ends up blocking all 4 directions of traffic because he made the turn into a lane with no room. I was a few cars back and just sat there watching as the guy made everyone wait for space for him. Take your time dude, the world is waiting.

What I really hate are SUVs that pull up next to you when you're turning left and they're going right. I hate not being able to see to my right as I'm waiting to go left. I've gotten in the habit, when leaving my complex, to position my car at an angle so that no one can get to the right of me. I've been honked at several times, but I don't care. It's a one lane street, stay in the lane.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Yes perry!! What I really hate are SUVs that pull up next to you when you're turning left and they're going right. I hate not being able to see to my right as I'm waiting to go left. I've gotten in the habit, when leaving my complex, to position my car at an angle so that no one can get to the right of me. I've been honked at several times, but I don't care. It's a one lane street, stay in the lane. I can't F**king stand that! Its not their vault really, but then we get into an inching ahead game seeing who is most willing to stick their nose into traffic to see what the hell is going on ;)

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
Cabs just don't have enough of a presence around here to make any impact. I'd say the professional truck drivers are very easy to share the road with, usually on the xway etc., but the PT truck drivers (like delivery type trucks) are pretty bad. Student drivers can be painful to get stuck behind :p

And I hate that person to the right obstructing the view too! My tactic is to stay pretty far back from the road as long as I can still see to the left w/no problem, and let the right-turners have at it. Most of the time this allows a pretty good view in both directions.

BuckMaster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Truck Drivers by far here in Kentucky. Maybe they just hate passing through this state? We dont have many cab drivers.

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
I can say that Truck drivers tend to be more cautious than cab drivers by a great margin. Owning a motorcycle that I ride every day, I tend to pay extra attention to what is happening around me on the road. To tell you the truth, it's not cab drivers OR truck drivers (however they are rather intimidating when your on a bike) that scare me the most. It's that little old blue hair lady(or man) driving that big boat of a 1973 Caddie that he/she can barely see over the seering wheel of. Can't tell you how many times I've had a close run in with one of those folks!!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
jolly

Good point - in fact when I say I don't like cabs or trucks on the road I don't like them for their manners - safety wise they are not particularly bad. Even when i was sideswiped it was at 3 miles/hour and was really a balls competition, didn't have anything to do with safety.

On the other hand Grandpa stinky-farts, aged 93 in his 9 ton lincoln does scare me.

Oct 19, 2000
BuckMaster, you're from Kentucky?? Cool, shoulda guessed by the nick :)

Here in KY, the truck drivers are really curteous, will turn off their brights, and will flash you to let you know you can get back over safely if traffic is really bad. I can't really compare them to cabs because there aren't many where I live, just a small operation of about 2 or 3 cabs.

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
LMAO, although it's really not that funny. I live in Tucson AZ, the snowbird capital of the world. Well, maybe second or third. Let me tell you something bout &quot;Grandpa Stinky Farts&quot; (ROTF, that's too funny). The situation gets even worse when he comes to MY town for his little getaway from the cold weather in Colorado. He and 250,000 of his closest friends and neighbors from Northern Town USA, roll in driving their 380 foot long, I take up three lanes at a time RV, with the biggest SUV manufactured in tow. And then they get out there in the inner city traffic on their way to the supermarket and Wallgreens. They then proceed to cut across lanes without any signal or anything else, because.....Oh MY, &quot;My Ammodium AD, a couple of sh!tty smelling cigars, and a box of depends are more important than your life or right to use MY road.

uh....sorry bout that, got a little carried away there.

But it's true....