Poll: Which Motherboard should I get ? (Also POLL)

Revenge786

Dec 29, 2000
Hi Guys,

This is the first time I'm going to be building a computer by myself. Total ROOKIE, hope you see the junior member sign by my name :)
My computer is used for graphics, software development and watching DVD's :D
I wanted something like an Athlon 800 or higher.
Need some tips on good stable motherboards...thanks.

TonyT

Dec 30, 2000
My current system uses an ASUS A7V motherboard, which thus far has been very stable. It comes with two regular, ATA 66 IDE controllers, as well as two Ultra ATA 100 controllers, which would probably be beneficial for you since you want to use the system for graphics, and you'd want to get as fast of a hard drive as is possible (of course, SCSI is always an option, but I can only speak from my own experience, which has been limited to IDE drives).

The A7V supports up to 1.5 GB of RAM, as well as up to a 1.2 GHz. AMD Thunderbird processor, both of which should support your needs fairly nicely.

Hope this helps.

Cosmic_Horror

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
msi k7t pro2 or pro2A seems to be the flavour of the month on these forums.. :)

just ordered the pro2A for my sister and her new duron 800 :)

AMB

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2000
I'd like to recommend the Abit KT7 (the motherboard I have), but now I think, from what every one has said, I may have to urge against the MSI K7T 2A

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Abit Kt7 Raid is my personal favorite .... but the MSI is becoming quite popular here.

If you want to raid multiple hard drives for redundancy and/or speed ... and you dont want to fuss with an additional RAID card ... then go with Kt7 Raid
if you want to stay free of RAID ... then I think MSI board should be good since i havent heard about any RMA problems ...

avoid FIC cause i made the mistake of using one of their boards for a system ... and it was not as good as i would have liked.

LXi

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
MSI K7T Pro2A, or wait for the KT133A with RAID board, the K7T Turbo.

Dec 18, 2000

HOWEVER, if you're gonna build your own PC be sure to leave extra money for screw-ups or be prepared to get defective motherboards that take months to get replaced! :Q this happens more than you'd imagine, so I'd say keep your main computer for awhile just in case.

Revenge786

Dec 29, 2000
Thanks for all the feedback :)
After reading all the replies from u guys, I think I might wanna go with the MSI K7t Pro2.
But, just before I jump into making a decision and buying one.
Could some of you guys give me the specs on the board ? The price and most important a reliable place where I should get my motherboard from ?

Thanks again.

Erasmus-X

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
I wish they made a version of the KT7 Pro2A with just ONE ISA slot; if that happened, I'd be right in line to buy one (I have an old 3Com 56k hardware ISA modem that I rather not get rid of).

Modus

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Definitely the MSI K7T-Pro-2A: cheaper and more stable than the ASUS and Abit boards. So reliable, in fact, that it powers the forums we're using this very moment. On AnandTech's 24 hour torture tests, it didn't crash a single time. Not once. That doesn't just make it the most stable Socket A board around. That makes it the most stable modern motherboard, period.

Microstar has surpassed ASUS and Abit in quality and they are deliberately flodding the market with low priced motherboards to establish themselves in the techie mindset. I suppose it's clever, because they realize that once you win over the techies, the knowledge will trickle down to all those asking the techies for advice.

Modus

loosbrew

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2000
i couldnt be happier with my abit kt7/raidboard. then again i never used any other boards so i can only speak from experience that the kt7/raid has treated me very well.

loooo

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
I would say for the value/cheap price... MSi is the way to go. The other boards, Abit and Asus are pretty good, but way more expensive for the same kind of performance... no reason to not go with the MSi...

Revenge786

Dec 29, 2000
Again, thanks for all the feedback...

But, as I asked earlier, could someone please tell me where is the best reliable place I should get my MSI board ?? and about how much does is it ?

Buddabudda

Dec 31, 2000
I just ordered a 1 gig t-bird / msi pro-2a combo from Monarch Computers. They are AMD recommended and considering the price still provide a 3 year warranty / retail mb box install and test the combo. In addition they include a tai-sol hs/fan in the bargin. $327 buckaroos. I have purchased from Onvia.com as well and they were good. I've also heard good things about mwave.com . Always check www.resellerratings.com BEFORE YOU PURCHASE!

Fisher999

Golden Member
Nov 12, 1999
One of the two online vendors whom I deal with have the KT7Pro (retail boxed) in stock for $134.95 plus shipping but are out of stock on the KT7Pro2A expected in on 01-08-2001 for $123.95.
The name of the company is Axion Technologies, Inc. I have dealt with them over 9 times, including a return of an unopened videocard that I had in my possession for OVER the 30 day return period; they were going to give me a refund (with NO restocking fee) but I chose to apply the credit towards a GeForce 256-based AGP card. They are also highly recommended at www.resellerratings.com

Here is the link to the page with sales info on the Microstar boards (click here, lol)

Good luck!!!!

Greg

office boy

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I know a lot of you guy's (and girls) here like the MSI, but I am still waiting to read a good review of this motherboard, Hardocp, overclockers, and anandtech, all have anywhere from it just plain sucks, to it's adequate. No one seems to be falling over themselves saying it's great.
OTOH, my Asus A7V has given me no problems, and if i were to bu again, it would be another A7V (unless I could get the one with the kt133a (is that the A7Va?)

Fisher999

Golden Member
Nov 12, 1999
Office Boy: Just because I recommended a MSI vendor does NOT mean that would be MY mobo of choice. The person who posted this thread said he had made up his mind on the MSI.

If I were building a SOCKET A system I would more than likely go with the ASUS A7V, excellent reviews and ASUS's excellent reputation. Heck, even my ASUS CUSL2 with Intel i-815e chipset is pretty decent.