POLL: Which is better odds? Investing or Gambling

MrScott81

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: godspeedx
Originally posted by: amoeba
you fail to mention how good you are at poker

But online poker can only get you so far.

Right?

Try checking out the 100/200 table Texas Hold Em table on Poker Stars....that can get you pretty far.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
online poker

investing in random stocks with no idea what you're doing = stupid

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001

Why not open your front door, then throw your money out a window and wait and see how much flies back in through the door.

damiano

Platinum Member
May 29, 2002
investing
a stock goes either up or down
so you have 50% chance to win
plus if you understand the market the odds go up

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: damiano
investing

If you're good with Poker, your odds are much higher.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Studying investments absolutely improves your ability to choose winners. Gambling is luck no matter what.

It's funny that for all the people who claim that poker isn't gambling if you're good enough, I don't see too many people making a living at it in the real world. Since there isn't any shortage of poor poker players, it should be easy, right?

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
I think if you are really good at poker you could spend all day in one of these poker rooms online against real people. But here's the catch. Don't join the high money tables b/c you might run into other good players. I would spend all day on the $10/$20 tables and continually beat newbies for small amounts of money, which over time would add up to a substantial amount.

phase 1: get good at poker
phase 2: ?
phase 3: profit

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
investing

Or even a insiders tip. Percentage goes way up! *cough Martha Stewart

You go to Vegas, the odds are you coming out braking even let alone winning something, are a hell of a lot more against you then the stock market.

Hector13

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000
investing

whoa... 50% chance?? where on earth did you get that? Sure.. a stock can go up or down, but that doesn't mean both chances are equally likely. My phone can ring in the next 10 seconds or not ring.. does that mean there is a 50% chance someone is about to call me?

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Hector13
investing

whoa... 50% chance?? where on earth did you get that? Sure.. a stock can go up or down, but that doesn't mean both chances are equally likely. My phone can ring in the next 10 seconds or not ring.. does that mean there is a 50% chance someone is about to call me?

In a multiverse made of quantum many-worlds where there are an infinite number of timelines in which an even occurs, and an infinite number in which it doesn't, the probability of any event occuring in any particular timeline always equals 50% no matter what.