Poll: What sort of Mods do you use?

Tick all the Mods you use

• 1. None

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • 2. Bugfix

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • 3. Compatibility

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • 4. Quality of life (including menus/UI)

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • 5. Injector, hexedit, dll, exe (e.g. fov, wrapper, crack)

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • 6. Sourceport

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • 7. Basic gameplay/graphics

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • 8. Graphics overhaul, texture pack

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • 9. Major new content, gameplay overhaul, rebalance

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • 10. I write my own mods

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Mod definition: third party changes to the game.

I generally stick to vanilla as much as possible and avoid overhauls or major new content.

Sourceports are great as they work better on modern systems while adding sensible improvements (e.g. interpolation, dynamic lights, SSAO, etc). I never use graphics mods that significantly change the look of the game.

I’ve also written my own mods for Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Doom 3, Torchlight, Titan Quest, Stalker SOC, etc.

I picked all options except 8 & 9.

Reactions: Hotrod2go

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I chose options 2-9 here. I have played many different mods, and there are lots of great community improvements out there for a variety of games.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I'd say #2, #3, #4, #5, #7 and #8 for Bethesda games.

Otherwise, it's usually just #7.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i wouldnt call "mod" anything which is essentially a bugfix, but if you do then yeah, i use "mods".

I do like Total Conversion Mods, like, *a lot*. I've enjoyed TCMs for Minecraft (IndustrialCraft, Better Than Wolves), Skyrim (Enderal, Bruma), and i suppose all of NWN's modules fall under this group. Otherwise, i'm really not into modding. What 99% of modding is, is 1. bigger boobs, 2. more identical in-game stuff (shinier armour, different-design identical sword), 3. grossly overpowered stuff that breaks the game. Rarely do i find a mod that adds anything of value.

One of the biggest problems can be exemplified by Dawnguard. You add it to Skyrim and it's an entire new, rather long questline.
The problem is that you don't just add it on to the game, you add it on to the game-state, which includes your character. Because both scaling mobs suck balls and non-scaling mobs will be a pushover if you've already levelled, which you have .. you never get to "play as intended". I suppose you can start a new character just to play Dawnguard, but that isn't adding to Skyrim, that's "removing" everything else from Skyrim. "Hey, here's our quest that we've designed with the idea that you won't go anywhere else and take any other abilities from the rest of the game, otherwise you'll break our quest."

Like, the crossbows were a joke. But i guess that's a Skyrim problem.

Reactions: HalfWolf

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I'd say somewhere between "None" and "Compatibility". Really the only "modding" I'll partake in is whatever I have to do to get one of the older titles in my library to work correctly (sometimes to get modern resolutions and the like).

Otherwise, it's the vanilla experience all the way.

I'm that mythical creature that put 90 hours into a vanilla Skyrim playthrough, no mods.

Racan

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2012
Usually mods that change some game design choices that I feel only serve to make the game annoying or more time consuming and immersion breaking.

It’s also why I’ve never owned a console and never will.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shmee

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

I play the game as the developers intended.

I do use reshade to add SMAA/FXAA, deband, and sharpen.

HalfWolf

Dec 11, 2022
i wouldnt call "mod" anything which is essentially a bugfix, but if you do then yeah, i use "mods".

I do like Total Conversion Mods, like, *a lot*. I've enjoyed TCMs for Minecraft (IndustrialCraft, Better Than Wolves), Skyrim (Enderal, Bruma), and i suppose all of NWN's modules fall under this group. Otherwise, i'm really not into modding. What 99% of modding is, is 1. bigger boobs, 2. more identical in-game stuff (shinier armour, different-design identical sword), 3. grossly overpowered stuff that breaks the game. Rarely do i find a mod that adds anything of value.

One of the biggest problems can be exemplified by Dawnguard. You add it to Skyrim and it's an entire new, rather long questline.
The problem is that you don't just add it on to the game, you add it on to the game-state, which includes your character. Because both scaling mobs suck balls and non-scaling mobs will be a pushover if you've already levelled, which you have .. you never get to "play as intended". I suppose you can start a new character just to play Dawnguard, but that isn't adding to Skyrim, that's "removing" everything else from Skyrim. Also love to play pokemon emerald rare candy "Hey, here's our quest that we've designed with the idea that you won't go anywhere else and take any other abilities from the rest of the game, otherwise you'll break our quest."

Like, the crossbows were a joke. But i guess that's a Skyrim problem.
I enjoy item enhancement mods. Thalantyr, Weimers, they're all fantastic. It would be nice if the improved Balduran Helm and Cloak made it into Chateau Irenicus, or if having those meant you got the base versions transitioned.

There have been several intentions, but none of them have worked (though the last time I checked was probably 2 or 3 years ago), except for multi class multi kits.

Last edited: