POLL: What is considered "good" gas mileage to you?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
I'm approximately 32 mpg ... wish it was more. Regardless, I need a new car pretty soon, and will be looking at hybrids.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: jcovercash
My honda gets 40-45mpg, and I consider anything about 40 good. I wouldnt drive any vehicle that gets below 5mpg.... (ONly picked that because there wasent an option for doont care.).

My mustang gets bad mileage and will get even worse with the built motor, but ill still drive it every nice day that I get a chance, who careshow much gas costs or how many mpg you get. Life is about living it, might as well ahve wha tyou want and deal with the rest.

What are you getting on the built motor Josh? On my stock bottom end, with GT40X aluminum heads, I am still getting about 25mpg on the highway, and just shy of 20 around town. Of course...needing premium now makes it hurt more, but 25mpg for a built '92 pushrod V8 with 130K is still pretty awesome IMO.

BTW, did you go with the 331 or 347?

ToeJam13

May 18, 2004
American fuel standards are a joke. IMHO, non-commercial vehicles should be required to get at least 25MPG city.

An Audi A3 with a 2.0L Direct-Injection Turbo Diesel gets roughly 36/56 MPG city/highway. Gutless engine you say? 130 HP with 236 ft-lb of torque is a lot more than you'll get stock in a Civic. Cramped you say? I've seen people 6'3" drive it before with room to spare.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: ToeJam13
American fuel standards are a joke. IMHO, non-commercial vehicles should be required to get at least 25MPG city.

An Audi A3 with a 2.0L Direct-Injection Turbo Diesel gets roughly 36/56 MPG city/highway. Gutless engine you say? 130 HP with 236 ft-lb of torque is a lot more than you'll get stock in a Civic. Cramped you say? I've seen people 6'3" drive it before with room to spare.

$32,000 you say? :roll: I'll drive whatever I want, thanks.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000

WOW!!! 130HP eh?!?! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

:roll:

Jun 14, 2003
mine does 40-50mpg

my dads does nearly 40mpg

and i dont think any of us would drive a car that did less than 25mpg, filling up would become too expensive

ToeJam13

May 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Insane3D

WOW!!! 130HP eh?!?! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

:roll:

Have you ever driven a diesel engine? Most trucks have much higher torque values than horsepower. Its what allowes them to tow so well. The difference here is that you have a 3050lb car with 236 ft-lb of torque instead of a 4500lb truck with 350 ft-lb of torque.

What's up with everyone only looking at HP figures? Sheesh.

Originally posted by: iamwiz82
$32,000 you say? :roll: I'll drive whatever I want, thanks.

Feh. Its an Audi. Of course its going to be expensive. The point I am trying to make is that cars that can fit 6'3" drivers and get these fuel numbers do exist. It just happens that this one has soft leather seats with butt warmers, 6-disc CD stereo, and a host of other upscale items. Oh, and that darn Euro to Dollar rate doesn't help either.

I'd like to see a Focus with an engine like this.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Of course a diesel will tend to have more torque...that just means they are are bit more fun from a light than some others. Personally, I prefer my american modified V8 that has HP AND torque. Why do you think I have a truck...I hate trucks. At the end of the day, the car has 130HP...might have more torque for towing or taking off from a light a bit quicker, but usually peak torque is achieved at a lower RPM.

My Mustang came with 225HP/300lb/ft of torque from the factory back in 1992, and it weighs about 3100lbs. I've since added many modifications that brought my HP just over the 300HP mark..not sure on torque since I haven't been on a dyno in awhile, but it's more than 300lb/ft now, and I still get 25MPG on the highway....after 13 years.

:)

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
anyone heard that new internet myth about adding 10oz of acetone/gallon of gas to increase mileage by 20%

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005

But its an Audi....not the most reliable of brands lately.

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: DPmaster
Had a friend who had a Trailblazer (lifted up like you wouldn't believe) that got 9 miles to the gallon.

Did she happen to haul her one spoiled brat child to the mall in it? :)

ToeJam13

May 18, 2004
Originally posted by: EatSpam

But its an Audi....not the most reliable of brands lately.

Lately? How about never. :)

Besides, aftermarket warranties are your friend. For any European car, they?re a requirement. I'm a '98 A4 owner. I know these things.

imported_goku

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2004
Originally posted by: KentState
Originally posted by: Tommunist
Originally posted by: KentState
My GTO averages around 21-25 mpg with my typical commute. I feel that's below average and anything between 25-30 is pretty average since a Honda, Nissan, Mazda, GM, V6 can get into that range. The 4 cylinders higher output models that I've owned have gotten around 32mpg which i think is decent, but I never had a smaller 4 cylinder that was purely a commuter car. I know some of the smaller Toyota and Honda engines can get 40+mpg which is probably the best on a pure gasoline engine.

that's pretty good mpg for a high powered car. "good" is certainly relative to the size and performence of the vehicle.

A lot of people are suprised when I tell them I can get that gas mileage, but a typical 15 gallon fill up gets around 340 miles. The key is the 6 speed manual that sits around 1500 rpms at 60 mph or 2000k at 80 mph.

No, the key is to run at your peak torque when on the highway. Sure that will make your driving louder, but peak toque will do best at overcoming the wind resistance and have the best fuel economy. My Auto tech teacher told me about how he gets better mileage doing '90 then say 65 because he is likely driving at his peak torque which is far more efficent than running at low RPM.

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
Minimum depends on the individual car - if it were a supercar, it could take a gallon a mile and I wouldn't care.

Think about what you just said.

Your fictitious supercar only goes 15 miles before it needs to find a gas station, and that 15 miles will cost you $45.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: psteng19
Minimum depends on the individual car - if it were a supercar, it could take a gallon a mile and I wouldn't care.

Your fictitious supercar only goes 15 miles before it needs to find a gas station, and that 15 miles will cost you $45.

Then again, if you could afford a supercar, the cost of gas is prolly a non issue.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

The annoyance of stopping all the time would be bothersome.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I get ~28 city / 33 highway (have seen 44 highway, though) in the Corolla..and 30/33 or so city/highway in the MR2.

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000

Then again, if you could afford a supercar, the cost of gas is prolly a non issue.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000

So you are assuming a supercar that gets single digit mileage is only going to have a 15 gallon tank?

Platinum Member
May 7, 2003
I can't wait til the new 06' Accord Hybrids come out. I am dumping my audi A6 and getting one. About double the gas mileage (32 i believe and 240 HP I LIKE). The only thing I am concerned about is repairs on a hybrid...

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I have been a bit disappointed with my 03 Civic LX on the grounds that it is generic and boring, but I appreciate it more the higher the price of gas gets.

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000

So you are assuming a supercar that gets single digit mileage is only going to have a 15 gallon tank?

So assume this fictitious supercar has a 50 gallon tank, which is large by any measure (and with such a large tank, it would ruin the balance of the car because of size and weight).
At 1 mpg, it will go 50 miles before it needs to fill up. Not much better.

Lotus Elise - 11 gallon tank
Porsche 911 - 17 gallon tank
Ford GT - 17.5 gallon tank
Chevy Corvette - 18 gallon tank
Dodge Viper - 18.5 gallon tank
Lamborghini Gallardo - 24 gallon tank
Ferrari F430 - 25 gallon tank

Granted these aren't supercars, but they are exotics.

And regardless of the type of car, you're not going to get larger than a 50 gallon tank and at 1 mpg, you'll go 50 miles max between fill ups.
Even without taking cost of gas into consideration, it's not practical.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
I read in a lot of car forums that people think 25 mpg is good or even great.
I think 25 is pretty bad, but I'm coming from a car that gets me 40-45 mpg which I think is excellent gas mileage.

I guess it's all relative to what you currently drive.
I would consider 35+ mpg to be good.

wtf car do you have that gives that much... my bike doesnt even give that much..

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: CVSiN
I read in a lot of car forums that people think 25 mpg is good or even great.
I think 25 is pretty bad, but I'm coming from a car that gets me 40-45 mpg which I think is excellent gas mileage.

I guess it's all relative to what you currently drive.
I would consider 35+ mpg to be good.

wtf car do you have that gives that much... my bike doesnt even give that much..

'96 Sentra
EPA estimated 40 highway for the 5 speed, so I'm doing just a bit better than that.
I think it's because I run the stock tires (skinny 160/80/13 I think) @ 40 psi.