Poll: What is a fair amount of time to give Biden to fix countries problems. How soon will Republicans start bitching about the state of the country?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I'll leave it up to people to post their own numbers.

I think it's fair to judge Biden after 4 years. Trump had 4 to screw it up so Biden should get 4 to fix whatever he can.

Republican complaints on the state of the country will begin Jan 20 2021 12:30p

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
We all know the answer is "immediately".

Before election "Watch, the Pandemic and lockdowns will suddenly disappear after Sleepy Joe wins"
After election "HOW COME CASES ARE STILL RISING AND POPPOP JUST SHIT THE BED COUGHING HIS LUNGS OUT"

Before election "Watch, all the protesters will suddenly go home and there will be no civil unrest"
After election "LOL LOOK PEOPLE ARE STILL PROTESTING BECAUSE THE UNDERLYING PROBLEM WAS ACTUALLY REAL LOL STUPID LIBS"

Honestly though, the whole point of an administrative state is so things can be delegated to other officals, the state should be able to pat its tummy and rub its head at the same time. We don't need a Tzar Nicholas signing off on mid-wives in the Crimea situation here...

My expectation, especially with a split government, is that Joe Biden holds the line for the first 100 days and starts moving up the line of scrimmage every year slowly but surely.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
When you sell your candidacy as ready on day one, that is when the clock starts. Just as Trump had to contend with protests throughout his administration, I expect Biden will have to deal with an angry far right and an inpatient far left. Midterms is where he will be scored.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
When you sell your candidacy as ready on day one, that is when the clock starts. Just as Trump had to contend with protests throughout his administration, I expect Biden will have to deal with an angry far right and an inpatient far left. Midterms is where he will be scored.

He'll definitely be under pressure to fix some things right away. Thankfully, Trump made the mistake of ruling primarily through executive orders even when he had a supermajority, so a lot of the more egregious policies could be fixed soon.

There will be some things that take years to fix. Rigged courts, diplomatic relations, climate science... and of course, Biden can't undo Trump's tax cuts for the rich unless the Dems regain control of the Senate. That could happen in January, but it's far from guaranteed.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Doesn't it depend on what you think needs to be "fixed"?
As with just about every president, my expectations are pretty low. Right now, my primary concern is controlling the covid spread without the total destruction of our economy. I'm also very concerned about the the people being damaged by eviction restrictions, and the people that are going to be devastated when they're lifted.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
With a split chamber, we aren't fixing shit. Just trying to steer us back on the road over the last four 4 years of insanity.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
It'll take decades to undo the damage trump has done. The asylum system, state Dept, dept of defense, FBI, tax code, immigration courts are all in utter shambles at this time. These institutions were literally decimated over the last 4 years either intentionally by the trump administration or through neglect and abuse by them.

I don't expect Biden to fix any of that in the 4 years he will have particularly in the absence of a senate and will keep my expectations extremely low.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
It'll take decades to undo the damage trump has done. The asylum system, state Dept, dept of defense, FBI, tax code are all in shambles at this time.

I don't expect Biden to fix any of that in the 4 years he will have particularly in the absence of a senate and will keep my expectations extremely low.
It wasn't just Trump, this is years of agitprop from right wing media. Trump is a symptom.

Gardener

Nov 22, 1999
Doesn't it depend on what you think needs to be "fixed"?
As with just about every president, my expectations are pretty low. Right now, my primary concern is controlling the covid spread without the total destruction of our economy. I'm also very concerned about the the people being damaged by eviction restrictions, and the people that are going to be devastated when they're lifted.

^^ shovel ready, day 1

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
With a split chamber, we aren't fixing shit. Just trying to steer us back on the road over the last four 4 years of insanity.
Exactly! The only thing this does is take a deranged unhinged person out of office!
what is sad is that Biden`s hands will be locked if the Dems don`t control both houses!
The Supreme Court will never get fixed as long as the Dems cannot retake the Senate!

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Biden needs to cobble together a cabinet that can get around the obstacles the Repubs are going to put up against him. His cabinet choices are going to be a critical tipping point as to whether or not he can get all of the parts Trump broke and hid in his closets full of skeletons and brought back together and reassembled back to working order, especially in the area of international relations, something Trump's idiocy and fragile ego has managed to damage with such viciousness due his personal concerns being prioritized over those of the nation.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Depends on how much GOP is going to obstruct in the Senate. If it's back to the Obama days for Mitch, then I understand Biden not getting as much done as he wants. Could lose most if not all of a term to obstruction artists like Moscow Mitch and Lady G.

In the unlikely event republicans start doing their jobs instead of focusing on their culture war and deification of corporate wealth and power, I'd give Biden 2 years to really start turning things around.

Resistance to anything perceived harmful to profits and growth isn't going to magically evaporate when someone else is in the White House though. Luckily for America, Wall Street is sick and tired of the volatility induced by having a 'president' who acts like a moron suffering from syphilitic dementia. I'm hoping that calms some waters ahead for Biden and Harris, though there is probably also a bit of "We'll be good, just don't point Elizabeth Warren at us" mixed in.

Reactions: ivwshane

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Related questions: how the hell is going to do anything substantial with a GOP Senate led by the turtle? Outside of wholesale canceling of executive orders and ridding the government of subversives appointed by Trump, and (hopefully) getting the Dept of Justice back on track, there is little he will be able to do.

Odds are the first crisis will be what to do about the ACA once the Supreme Court declares it unconstitutional. That may happen even before his inauguration (but I'm betting the GOP dominated court will play politics and not release it's decision until after the GA special elections).

Unless a miracle happens and GA elects two Democrats.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
I'll leave it up to people to post their own numbers.

I think it's fair to judge Biden after 4 years. Trump had 4 to screw it up so Biden should get 4 to fix whatever he can.

Republican complaints on the state of the country will begin Jan 20 2021 12:30p
Biden is not fixing anything. What's his great idea? Bring manufacturing jobs back to America and force China into fair trade deals? Sounds like the future plagiarizer in chief has some great ideas.

• Haha
Reactions: zinfamous

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
4 years + context. there's a lot he can do just within the executive branch, but there's also a lot he can't do without congress, and the senate specifically. mitch could simply obstruct for 4 years if he really wanted to.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Biden is not fixing anything. What's his great idea? Bring manufacturing jobs back to America and force China into fair trade deals? Sounds like the future plagiarizer in chief has some great ideas.

Sometimes it's not what you need to get done but HOW you get those things done that's more important. In Trump's case, the first thing he wanted to take care of in any kind of policy decision making is settling the question over "what's in it for him personally" rather than "what's in the best interests of the nation he leads".

For Trump it was and will always be his personal needs taking priority over the nation's security and prosperity, a very dangerous thing for the nation to allow their leader to take advantage of.

Would you think highly of Biden if he had the same crippling habit of putting himself above the needs of the people he is supposed to be the self-sacrificing benevolent caretaker of? (rhetorical)

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Sometimes it's not what you need to get done but HOW you get those things done that's more important. In Trump's case, the first thing he wanted to take care of in any kind of policy decision making is settling the question over "what's in it for him personally" rather than "what's in the best interests of the nation he leads".
Bingo!

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
4 years + context. there's a lot he can do just within the executive branch, but there's also a lot he can't do without congress, and the senate specifically. mitch could simply obstruct for 4 years if he really wanted to.

Not necessarily 4 years, might just be 2. There are several more republicans up for re-election in 2022 than there are dems. 21 vs 13 I think? Something like that, it's a little encouraging, especially if repugs just keep on keepin on. How much can they interfere with stopping a pandemic without the White House?

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Completely loosing your shit ain't you now that the fucking liar in chief is toast. The howler monkeys are going to be deafening for a while.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Haha look at you suckin away on that mushroom

Trump had/still has no plan for healthcare, infrastructure, or even a basic response for corona, and he and 'Melanie' are renowned for plagiarizing and taking credit for things Obama did. You don't care about ideas or having a plan, if you did you wouldn't be a shit for brains Trump supporter.

More tears, more! They are delicious