POLL: What do you think of Joe Biden?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: zeruty
I think that?with as long as he's been in public office?if he was worth his weight in dirt, the average American would have known who he was before this election season.

Complete and utter bullshit. Anybody who pays attention to poIitics knew Biden for decades. He never tried to be a poitica ceebrity (can you te my keyboard doesn't work?)

Biden is your senator's favorite senator.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Craig234
Your attack is absurd; he's widely recognized as a top public official on foreign policy.
Widely recognized as being wrong perhaps.

He voted against the FIRST Gulf War.

But he voted for the second Gulf war??? Please explain that logic to me.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Your attack is absurd; he's widely recognized as a top public official on foreign policy.

It is not your place to question The Biden. I won't stand for it.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb

So now Biden is a messiah too? I find it odd the right painting the (D) candidates as jesus when all of the fundie nutjobs are in their own party.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Let me put it this way. If something happened to Obama during his presidency I'd feel safe knowing Biden is at the helm.

I cannot say the same for the McCain/Palin ticket. In fact, that idea literally scares me.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Robor

So now Biden is a messiah too? I find it odd the right painting the (D) candidates as jesus when all of the fundie nutjobs are in their own party.
Wasn't it a Democrat who said that Jesus was a community organizer?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Robor

Wasn't it a Democrat who said that Jesus was a community organizer?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please non Prof John, get a life and grow a brain. So some democrat said Jesus was a community organizer, it was only a marginally clever statement and a not very good analogy, it got its 15 minutes of fame, and now only you and Rush Limbaugh are trying to make a huge stink about it while similar silly statements with a GOP spin seem to be your only stock&trade.

Most of us outgrew getting super upset and totally bent out of shape by those type silly comments in the second grade, but that second grade in school maturity level seems to best describe where you are stuck at.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: bamacre
Where is the poll option for "douchebag?"
This is about Biden not Ron Paul.

Well, your buddy Biden voted for the war in Iraq, as well as the Patriot Act. Ron Paul did not. So, who is the douchebag? Biden, that's who.

Ron Paul stood up in 2003 and tried to prevent this mess that caused the housing bubble. Joe Biden did not. So, who is the douchebag? Biden, that's who.

Biden called for sending $1 billion in our money to Georgia. Ron Paul did not. So, who is the douchebag? Biden, that's who.

Want me to keep going?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

Well, your buddy Biden voted for the war in Iraq, as well as the Patriot Act. Ron Paul did not. So, who is the douchebag? Biden, that's who.

Ron Paul stood up in 2003 and tried to prevent this mess that caused the housing bubble. Joe Biden did not. So, who is the douchebag? Biden, that's who.

Biden called for sending $1 billion in our money to Georgia. Ron Paul did not. So, who is the douchebag? Biden, that's who.

Want me to keep going?
Please don't, because you know as well as I do that we have to make do with what we have, and that would be the two Ps and VPs we're seeing now. Picture yourself as the product of an arranged marriage. You didn't ask for it, but in time perhaps you can learn to love Biden.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: zeruty
I think that?with as long as he's been in public office?if he was worth his weight in dirt, the average American would have known who he was before this election season.

i knew who he was...

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

Want me to keep going?
Please don't, because you know as well as I do that we have to make do with what we have, and that would be the two Ps and VPs we're seeing now. Picture yourself as the product of an arranged marriage. You didn't ask for it, but in time perhaps you can learn to love Biden.

This thread is about what people think of Biden.

My opinion is that he's a douchebag.

I didn't bring up Ron Paul, Red Dawn did. So don't blame me.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Don't know much about him, he's pretty invisible for Europeans. But he can't be any worse than McCain/Palin.

Hell, Republicans rank about the same as Global Nuclear War and Al Qaida in terms of 'what is best for the planet and the US', so of course Biden will be better.

AllWhacked

Nov 1, 2006

I don't know the history of the incident you cite without source (did Hannity do you the service?), but I'm a fan of his independant approach. Talk about a real 'maverick'.

Without knowing the situation, we have a hell of a lot to account for in our treatment of Iran. Going back to the first half of the 20th century, they were abused for their oil with low compensation forced on them. When in the early 1950's, the people of Iran got someone in leadership who would actually represent Iran and not Britain, who supported a more fair price for the oil, Britain asked the US to do something, and the new Eisenhower administration did as our ally asked, and got Kermit Roosevelt - yes, of the Teddy Roosevelt family - of the CIA on it, and the CIA's first anti-democratic 'covert action' was done to remove the democratic head of state, and install our tyrant - returning the Shah from exile and giving him a ready-made police force to keep him in power by terrorizing the people - and keep oil prices low.

Their great crime: after 25 years of tyranny thanks to us, when the religious groups led a revolution (who were unlikely to get much power had democracy still been there), a group held dozens of Americans at the Embassy hostage for just over a year and then released them all unharmed.

In the 1980's we encouraged Saddam's invasion of Iran, the longest large war of the 20th century, with Saddam using gas on Iranian schoolchildren, Iran with a million casualties.

When the invasion went in Iran's direction, the US military got involved directly opposing Iranian forces to *prevent them from overthrowing Saddam*. The irony...

Talk about a nation who had the *right* to view Saddam as a threat, and to overthrow him for that...

But you complain because with that horrific history for 50 years, Biden wants to make peace. You are the problem with our electorate...

He's regarded by those on his party as a foreign policy expert because he's the current head of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Given that Chris Dodd (D) and Barney Franks (D) were the current head of their committees and they are the one's who helped cause this financial crisis, I don't really give much credence to his credentials. All it means is he's got seniority and may or may not know more about foreign policy than all the other punks in Congress. If he was a history or political science professor instead of an egotistical constitutional lawyer, I would feel a little more self assured--at least I would feel more rest assured that he could look at things outside the prism of his own political/philosophical ideology.

But in any case, here's my source: Rhetorical Question from a New Republic article from 2001.

As for American foreign policy in Iran, I won't debate the merits of it in detail. But whether you agree with the coup we sponsored or not, allowing the Shah to be overthrown and replaced by Khomeni was in my opinion, one of the worst foreign policy mistakes we ever made. While I won't backseat Jimmy Carter's actions, this is essentially a classic case of unintended consequences.

1) Carter had a chance to save the Shah, but because he ran on a policy of "human rights" --something Carter came up with--he failed to support the Shah because of his harsh crack down on religious fundamentalist and communist.

2) Carter, not understanding what he was dealing with, saw Khomeni as a moderate force because he was a man of religion. What he failed to realize was that once America withdrew its support, forces loyal to the Shah gave up and the Islamic revolution finally took over. In its aftermath, the Iranian theocracy executed more people in 1 year than the Shah had in 25 years prior. Furthermore, all the political prisoners whom Carter felt were being unjustly imprisoned were also executed by Khomeni. Anyway, with the rise of Islamic Republic of Iran, this led to the following:

a) Iran becoming the largest state sponsors of Terrorism (Hezbollah and Hamas).
b) The Iran-Iraq War. Saddam did not trust a fundamentalist Iran and thus invaded them and started that long bloody war. While we may have supported them, we actually played both sides. In the words of Kissenger, he said more or less: "it's a same that both of them can't lose."
c) Now Iran is going nuclear, which no matter how you spin it in my opinion, isn't going to be a good thing.

Anyway, I don't fault Biden for wanting peace. I just think he's naive if he was serious about giving them $200 Million.

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
Originally posted by: AllWhacked
I don't like the guy, because:

1) He's a crooked punk that legalized usury and allowed the credit card companies to charge 33% interest. He's also one of the few democrats that voted with the bankruptcy reform that prevents individuals to discharge their credit card debt. But given he's from Delaware, it's not surprising.

2) He's also a racist gaffe machine that gets away with it because he's a Democrat. If it was a Republican who said you couldn't goto a 7-11 without hearing an Indian accent, that guy would be screwed--just like the Macaca guy, whom I think wanted to say mohawk as he was referring to a dark skinned guy with a Mohawk. Who knew that in some obscure African dialect, macaca is an insult.

3) He's a liar and plagiarist. In his 84 or 88 run, he tried to pass off a British politicians speech and life story as his own--he didn't even change the speech to match his own history. Anyway, this exactly of blatant dishonesty should not be forgotten nor forgiven from someone in public office. But coming from a lawyer, I'm not surprised by this lapse in moral clarity.

4) He's an idiot. Right after 9/11 he said to his aids that we need to send a message to the Arab world that we don't want to destroy them. He proposed to send a $200 million dollar check, no strings attached, to Iran. All his aids looked at him as if he was crazy and once the shock wore off, one by one the aids responded back. One aid said it would look like a publicity stunt. Another said that Iran would probably refuse it. A third said that there was a move within Congress to pressure Russia not to accept a $300 million dollar weapons deal with Iran. And a not mentioned fact is that Iranians are Persian and are ethnically and culturally different from Arabs. From what I've been told from people who've visited the region, Arabs hate Persians and vice versa. And that send money to the Persians would not make any friends in the ARAB world.

Anyway, besides those failings I'm sure he's a nice guy.

Watch Biden in action

Oh don't forget he plagiarized while at Law School and got an "F" and almost got kicked out of the University! In short, his plagiarism during his POTUS bid was not accidental at all! And as for the bankruptcy reform bill he fully sponsored and supported earned him the title "Don't ever leave home without Joe B"!

You are absolutely correct, because he's a "D" nobody can stamp him as racist, although during the confirmation process of a black judge for the SCOTUS, it was pretty obvious he was a darn racist!

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: AllWhacked
Watch Biden in action

I want to change my vote from "douchebag" to "total douchebag."

Biden needs to read the Constitution, and then tell me what HIS responsibilities are to ME.

We have this twisted mentality that those people in Washington, DC are our bosses. Bullshit, those people in DC are our employees. We need to remember that, and they do too.

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
as an obama supporter, i am not the biggest fan of biden.

i think richardson would have been better if they had to go foreign policy experience