POLL: What do you think of Joe Biden?

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
i don't know enough about him but i did a clip of him on youtube drunk on stage when he was introducing obama, pretty funny

tboo

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2000
With the amount of posts you have you should know by now that this thread does not belong in off-topic.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: tboo
With the amount of posts you have you should know by now that this thread does not belong in off-topic.
Yeah but is it really P&N? I didn't want to dumb it down with a brainless poll like this, because it is brainless.

zeruty

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2000
I think that?with as long as he's been in public office?if he was worth his weight in dirt, the average American would have known who he was before this election season.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Where is the "I don't give a fuck, I'm voting for a President, not a Vice-President" option?

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Yeah but is it really P&N? I didn't want to dumb it down with a brainless poll like this, because it is brainless.

So you're saying P&N is somehow *not* brainless then?

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
All I can say is, I'd rather have him as the VP then the Bush in a skirt.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
35 years on the public payroll. Guess he can't find a regular job like the rest of us.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
I kinda like him. I caught a clip of his 1984 debate during his Senate campaign, and he was very impressive.

Even watching clips of him now, he seems like the consumate politician (and I mean that in a good sense)-- intelligent, gregarious, and a good sense of humor.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
My fav of the four Rep/Dem Pres/VP candidates by far.

AllWhacked

Nov 1, 2006
I don't like the guy, because:

1) He's a crooked punk that legalized usury and allowed the credit card companies to charge 33% interest. He's also one of the few democrats that voted with the bankruptcy reform that prevents individuals to discharge their credit card debt. But given he's from Delaware, it's not surprising.

2) He's also a racist gaffe machine that gets away with it because he's a Democrat. If it was a Republican who said you couldn't goto a 7-11 without hearing an Indian accent, that guy would be screwed--just like the Macaca guy, whom I think wanted to say mohawk as he was referring to a dark skinned guy with a Mohawk. Who knew that in some obscure African dialect, macaca is an insult.

3) He's a liar and plagiarist. In his 84 or 88 run, he tried to pass off a British politicians speech and life story as his own--he didn't even change the speech to match his own history. Anyway, this exactly of blatant dishonesty should not be forgotten nor forgiven from someone in public office. But coming from a lawyer, I'm not surprised by this lapse in moral clarity.

4) He's an idiot. Right after 9/11 he said to his aids that we need to send a message to the Arab world that we don't want to destroy them. He proposed to send a $200 million dollar check, no strings attached, to Iran. All his aids looked at him as if he was crazy and once the shock wore off, one by one the aids responded back. One aid said it would look like a publicity stunt. Another said that Iran would probably refuse it. A third said that there was a move within Congress to pressure Russia not to accept a $300 million dollar weapons deal with Iran. And a not mentioned fact is that Iranians are Persian and are ethnically and culturally different from Arabs. From what I've been told from people who've visited the region, Arabs hate Persians and vice versa. And that send money to the Persians would not make any friends in the ARAB world.

Anyway, besides those failings I'm sure he's a nice guy.

Watch Biden in action

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: AllWhacked

1) He's a crooked punk that legalized usury and allowed the credit card companies to charge 33% interest. He's also one of the few democrats that voted with the bankruptcy reform that prevents individuals to discharge their credit card debt. But given he's from Delaware, it's not surprising.

You have a point on this one. For those who aren't aware of it, Delaware has probably the most corporate-friendly laws in the nation so many corporations are based there.

2) He's also a racist gaffe machine that gets away with it because he's a Democrat. If it was a Republican who said you couldn't goto a 7-11 without hearing an Indian accent, that guy would be screwed--just like the Macaca guy, whom I think wanted to say mohawk as he was referring to a dark skinned guy with a Mohawk. Who knew that in some obscure African dialect, macaca is an insult.[/quote]

You badly misrepresent this one. There was evidence as I recall that 'the Macaca guy' knew exactly what Macaca meant. And the 7-11 crack isn't the same at all.

3) He's a liar and plagiarist. In his 84 or 88 run, he tried to pass off a British politicians speech and life story as his own--he didn't even change the speech to match his own history. Anyway, this exactly of blatant dishonesty should not be forgotten nor forgiven from someone in public office. But coming from a lawyer, I'm not surprised by this lapse in moral clarity.

You have a point here too, but you can weigh it how you like - but the broadside at lawyers isn't fair. Many lawyers are people who 'play by the rules' more than a lot of people.

He's an idiot. Right after 9/11 he said to his aids that we need to send a message to the Arab world that we don't want to destroy them. He proposed to send a $200 million dollar check, no strings attached, to Iran. All his aids looked at him as if he was crazy and once the shock wore off, one by one the aids responded back. One aid said it would look like a publicity stunt. Another said that Iran would probably refuse it. A third said that there was a move within Congress to pressure Russia not to accept a $300 million dollar weapons deal with Iran. And a not mentioned fact is that Iranians are Persian and are ethnically and culturally different from Arabs. From what I've been told from people who've visited the region, Arabs hate Persians and vice versa. And that send money to the Persians would not make any friends in the ARAB world.

Your attack is absurd; he's widely recognized as a top public official on foreign policy.

I don't know the history of the incident you cite without source (did Hannity do you the service?), but I'm a fan of his independant approach. Talk about a real 'maverick'.

Without knowing the situation, we have a hell of a lot to account for in our treatment of Iran. Going back to the first half of the 20th century, they were abused for their oil with low compensation forced on them. When in the early 1950's, the people of Iran got someone in leadership who would actually represent Iran and not Britain, who supported a more fair price for the oil, Britain asked the US to do something, and the new Eisenhower administration did as our ally asked, and got Kermit Roosevelt - yes, of the Teddy Roosevelt family - of the CIA on it, and the CIA's first anti-democratic 'covert action' was done to remove the democratic head of state, and install our tyrant - returning the Shah from exile and giving him a ready-made police force to keep him in power by terrorizing the people - and keep oil prices low.

Their great crime: after 25 years of tyranny thanks to us, when the religious groups led a revolution (who were unlikely to get much power had democracy still been there), a group held dozens of Americans at the Embassy hostage for just over a year and then released them all unharmed.

In the 1980's we encouraged Saddam's invasion of Iran, the longest large war of the 20th century, with Saddam using gas on Iranian schoolchildren, Iran with a million casualties.

When the invasion went in Iran's direction, the US military got involved directly opposing Iranian forces to *prevent them from overthrowing Saddam*. The irony...

Talk about a nation who had the *right* to view Saddam as a threat, and to overthrow him for that...

But you complaing because with that horrific history for 50 years, Biden wants to make peace. You are the problem with our electorate...

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
Originally posted by: zeruty
I think that?with as long as he's been in public office?if he was worth his weight in dirt, the average American would have known who he was before this election season.

The exact opposite is true.

Joe Biden is a good man. He leads more of a Christian lifestyle than McCain, Bush, Larry Craig, Ted Haggard or most of the GOP that would push their so-called Christian values on the population.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: AllWhacked

2) He's also a racist gaffe machine that gets away with it because he's a Democrat. If it was a Republican who said you couldn't goto a 7-11 without hearing an Indian accent, that guy would be screwed--just like the Macaca guy, whom I think wanted to say mohawk as he was referring to a dark skinned guy with a Mohawk. Who knew that in some obscure African dialect, macaca is an insult.

4) He's an idiot. Right after 9/11 he said to his aids that we need to send a message to the Arab world that we don't want to destroy them. He proposed to send a $200 million dollar check, no strings attached, to Iran. All his aids looked at him as if he was crazy and once the shock wore off, one by one the aids responded back. One aid said it would look like a publicity stunt. Another said that Iran would probably refuse it. A third said that there was a move within Congress to pressure Russia not to accept a $300 million dollar weapons deal with Iran. And a not mentioned fact is that Iranians are Persian and are ethnically and culturally different from Arabs. From what I've been told from people who've visited the region, Arabs hate Persians and vice versa. And that send money to the Persians would not make any friends in the ARAB world.

Anyway, besides those failings I'm sure he's a nice guy.

Watch Biden in action
Seems insane. I'm unable to find anything on the net about it from real websites, just a ton of ones all reporting on the same two paragraphs (endless blogs and websites I've never heard of). How do you know that point is legit? I'm inclined to say it is not without a real source.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I don't know what I think. I used to love the guy. He is brilliant as a logician and lawyerly type, but I fear he's a bit overbearing and in love with his own capability and uses his talent as much to flatter his ego as to seriously get at the truth. I find it almost inconceivable he could have given somebody else's speech, which is where I began to have my doubts about him. I think he is impressed by himself more than I would like to see, meaning his self hate is visible in his need to deny it. I wish he were more humble and emotionally warm.

Of course, Palin, by comparison has been hit by a club and dragged around by the hair so many times she thinks Noah dug the grand canyon. Biden has faults but I'm not going to vote for a complete and total fundy twit.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Biden was not my favorite VP pick for Obama, but he does think for himself, and I voted decent. Biden is a good solid pick who will go the distance. And if that one heart beat away event were to make Biden President,
he would be ready on day one.

Palin on image has been a home run hit for McCain. But I not sure the Palin image will even last into mid-October. As for Sarah, should she be elevated by that one heart beat away event, I think she would be a total disaster of a President. Maybe even worse than GWB if that is even possible. A Cheney with lipstick and less brains.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
He is DEEP in the pockets of the RIAA / MPAA. I strongly dislike that. Hopefully Obama will be able to curtail that side of him.

Aside from that he's not terrible as a VP candidate.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
As for Sarah, should she be elevated by that one heart beat away event, I think she would be a total disaster of a President. Maybe even worse than GWB if that is even possible. A Cheney with lipstick and less brains.
I agree, although I think she is smarter than Bush and by a pretty substantial margin, but her lack of wisdom is a problem, and I don't mean experience like governor vs community organizer; I simply don't see wisdom when she talks like she's spent any time reading about anything outside of her immediately and definite needs. She probably has no idea which continent South Africa is in and she would indeed be a complete nightmare if she became president due to an incopacitated McCain.