Poll: Was Donald Trump ever fit to hold office of the President?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Was Donald Trump ever fit to hold office

• Yes - I'm unable to justify my answer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I’m pretty confident that the only things keeping Trump’s approval from being in the single digits are partisanship and the personality cult, both of which I expect to fade over time. I would not be surprised if in ten years he is viewed as the worst president in US history. (Lucky for you, Buchanan!)

I'd say it was the nature of US history and culture that sustains his ratings - particularly with regard to race. He's just revealing what has always been part of US culture and society. The US self-mythologises to an extent that conceals how much darkness has always been there.

I'm also fairly confident he'll come to be viewed as the worst US president ever, though it may take more than a decade. Even if politically-more-harmful monsters emerge in future, it's hard to imagine there'll ever be one as ludicrously and openly psychologically-dysfunctional as Trump.

Nov 17, 2019
The Goof-a-loop bois and whatever the other group is called aren't boomers. The Georgia Blonde isn't a boomer. Mad Dog Gaetz and what's her name in SD (Governor) aren't boomers.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Because they haven't got anyone 'half competent'? Perhaps he's the best they (that particular demographic, with their particular self-interests) can come up with?
I guess his demographic don't really want a coherent set of policies they just want someone who'll howl at the moon with them.
There must be plenty of competent right wing republicans, I guess we are lucky that the one in charge in ineffectual really!

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
We have one "yes" vote that promised to justify it (Generic form of) dude, we are waiting

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Plenty of young people at his rallies. So getting old and dying won't make a change occur.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Never was fit. I'm sure I'm retreading territory, but: Trump is not only a pathological narcissist who only cares about money and power, he's an incompetent one who'll flat-out tell you about his corruption (but lie that it's acceptable).

And a lot of people confuse his crassness with honesty. No, Trump just tells lies very loudly and crudely; you don't need to have a sophisticated vocabulary to do that.

As people keep saying, though, in some ways Trump's incompetence is the country's saving grace. Modern Republicans genuinely want one-party rule and the end of democracy; Trump's mismanagement and ability to foster contempt are a significant part of why Biden is taking office next month. Someone with Trump's ego but the competence to follow through would have killed the American experiment; as it is, it's on life support.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
By then almost 2 million baby boomers will have died. His numbers will go down as theirs do.

Not really. The oldest Boomers are 74, the youngest are in their late 50's. Younger Boomers are actually more conservative, as are members of the Silent Generation.

Caminetto

Jul 29, 2001
Damn mouse clicked on the "yes" by mistake.
NO! He never accomplished a thing in life except take 422 million from his daddy and bullshitted about his accomplishments and wealth. The only reason he lasted in business is that most business people want to get into bed with someone who has money because that is how you make more.
He is adept at lying and has done it successfully all his life because the average person is lazy with facts and many are downright stupid -today they believe most anything they see on social media.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
NO! He never accomplished a thing in life except take 422 million from his daddy and bullshitted about his accomplishments and wealth. The only reason he lasted in business is that most business people want to get into bed with someone who has money because that is how you make more.
He is adept at lying and has done it successfully all his life because the average person is lazy with facts and many are downright stupid -today they believe most anything they see on social media.
You can change it.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
No.

Explain again? He has the reading comprehension of a 3rd grader. He has zero ambition to get over this. All he's ever been about is getting super rich and chasing girls and he'll do anything to achieve those ends. Truth means nothing to the man, it's an obstacle. Need I go on?
Mouse for dinner?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Does this seal it for you "yes" voters, yet?

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I waited a while before responding. In the end I voted yes. To qualify that I mean he was fit as defined by the requirements of running for and performing the job. Like so many of us that work with complete idiots and morons and shitheads though, although they can get the job, actually performing the job and functioning is another thing. I think DJT possesses the required intelligence to at least get by, but he applies it towards different ends than a normal, moral person would do.

To that end, how we react to ensuring that another fucking moron like him never gets the highest position in the land will be a reflection on all of us. If Biden does not feel the need to prosecute backwards, and everyone is just happy enough with him being out of office, we have failed. The Constitution does not allow for someone like Trump, and he exposed the glaring errors in the system. I'll be just as pissed at Biden if he tries to move on from it as I am for Trump being a fucking failure.

Reactions: pmv

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I waited a while before responding. In the end I voted yes. To qualify that I mean he was fit as defined by the requirements of running for and performing the job. Like so many of us that work with complete idiots and morons and shitheads though, although they can get the job, actually performing the job and functioning is another thing. I think DJT possesses the required intelligence to at least get by, but he applies it towards different ends than a normal, moral person would do.

To that end, how we react to ensuring that another fucking moron like him never gets the highest position in the land will be a reflection on all of us. If Biden does not feel the need to prosecute backwards, and everyone is just happy enough with him being out of office, we have failed. The Constitution does not allow for someone like Trump, and he exposed the glaring errors in the system. I'll be just as pissed at Biden if he tries to move on from it as I am for Trump being a fucking failure.

It also doesn't do much for the US's moral authority if it lets this sort of thing slide. Next time it goes to war to 'secure democracy' or 'prevent human rights abuses' the Trump era (including the Blackwater pardons) is going to be remembered by the world.
You really need to "lock him up".

Reactions: Fenixgoon

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Driving through rural Wisconsin today it was amazing to see Trump signs still up in yards, even one house had shit all over the yard like they were Christmas decorations. Maybe word hasn't gotten to the rubes yet? I still can't help it, I see a Trump sign in a yard and I think to myself "fucking idiot".
My neighbors are still flying their Trump flags. I suspect they will continue to do so until 1) Trump dies or 2) Trump is again cheated out of a win in 2024.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

I qualified it in the OP. Meeting the requirements (natural born citizen and >= 35 years old) vs being fit are two different things.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017

As it is defined I would argue he was not fit. He met the reequipments to be elected but that don't mean he was fit to hold the office. He is incapable of making decisions based on morality or for the good of our country. Every decision he makes is made to benefit himself. That has grown increasingly more clear post election.

Reactions: pmv

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
In light of the latest events anyone else want to weigh in or change their vote?

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
1 he first needs to divest himself from all his businesses before he can be considered fit to hold office.
2 he has said many lies, and, whenever he gets called out on them, he simply projects/never accounts for anythimg. So, he either is insane and not cometant for the job, or, he lies about everything and cant be trusted.
3 his failure to operate a legal business and pay his share of taxes should make in eligible to hold ANY office (crooks like him belong in prison)
4 his blatant disregard for the constitution in order to secure his own power (projecting lies/delusion about vote counts and such) proves he is too immature for the job
5 his blatant disreguard for law has been proven time and time again through various violations going back to the 1970s.

• Love
Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
1 he first needs to divest himself from all his businesses before he can be considered fit to hold office.
2 he has said many lies, and, whenever he gets called out on them, he simply projects/never accounts for anythimg. So, he either is insane and not cometant for the job, or, he lies about everything and cant be trusted.
3 his failure to operate a legal business and pay his share of taxes should make in eligible to hold ANY office (crooks like him belong in prison)
4 his blatant disregard for the constitution in order to secure his own power (projecting lies/delusion about vote counts and such) proves he is too immature for the job
5 his blatant disreguard for law has been proven time and time again through various violations going back to the 1970s.
The obvious fact of the matter is the poll was patently absurd. Any half sane person would say no. The rest have cole slaw for a brain.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The obvious fact of the matter is the poll was patently absurd. Any half sane person would say no. The rest have cole slaw for a brain.
I was hoping to hear from the people here that have spent Trump's entire term justifying any heinous thing he did.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I was hoping to hear from the people here that have spent Trump's entire term justifying any heinous thing he did.
You should have higher hopes. Myself, I have all those retards on ignore. I used to not, but I have gradually built up a list one at a time. OilTrash, NoMind, BrandonBullshit, etc. I don't waste my time.

Reactions: iRONic

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
In early 2016 I thought Trump might be an interesting enigma.

Then the first debate VS Hillary sealed my opposition. He promised everyone everything and the moon. All obvious lies and no substance. He wasn't for any positive change. My economic policy is better served by free and open trade. His getting into bed with Republicans for most policy (tax cuts) wasn't going to help anyone.

His decorum and behavior alone disqualified him from being President.
Unfortunately many millions of Americans are apparently just as vile as he is. Humanity unmasked is not a pretty sight.

• Love
Reactions: Muse

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
In early 2016 I thought Trump might be an interesting enigma.

Then the first debate VS Hillary sealed my opposition. He promised everyone everything and the moon. All obvious lies and no substance. He wasn't for any positive change. My economic policy is better served by free and open trade. His getting into bed with Republicans for most policy (tax cuts) wasn't going to help anyone.

His decorum and behavior alone disqualified him from being President.
Unfortunately many millions of Americans are apparently just as vile as he is. Humanity unmasked is not a pretty sight.

I don't understand ever entertaining him for a second. He was a known quantity. A failed businessman who whored him self out as a D rate celerity. His other qualifications included staring in an idiotic reality TV show and spearheading a conspiracy over Obama's birth certificate.

Am I the only person that knew Trump was an idiot well before the 2016 election?

Reactions: ivwshane

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I don't understand ever entertaining him for a second. He was a known quantity. A failed businessman who whored him self out as a D rate celerity. His other qualifications included staring in an idiotic reality TV show and spearheading a conspiracy over Obama's birth certificate.

Am I the only person that knew Trump was an idiot well before the 2016 election?
No. I met my cousin's daughter's son summer 2016, an English lad of 11 at the time. We sat on a couch with my tablet and laughed our asses off at Trump. I asked him at one point what the English thought of him and his running for POTUS, and he had a one word response: "disgraceful."

Now, I did read "The Art of the Deal," and was quite impressed. This was years before he threw his hat in the ring. Then I found out that the guy who did the actual writing subsequently said that taking on that job was the worst thing he'd ever done and he regretted doing so. Said that Trump is actually a pathological liar. It was basically made up stuff. From that point forward I knew he was a shit. The moment he was declared the winner in 2016, I figured we were in for an unimaginably horrible 4 years and prayed it wouldn't be 8. My prayer now is for a conviction in the Senate on the current impeachment charge because I want him barred from office, period.