Poll: vi or emacs?

nd

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ok, I suppose I get the chance to be lame and do one of these polls for once. Besides, it's so rare that I see holy flamewars in the OT forums for such important topics as these.

nd

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Oh yeah, please keep this to UNIX users mostly. I don't want to hear a bunch of "what about notepad?!" complaints. Besides, Windows users can install vim :)

Pico/Joe/Jed users: sorry.. pick a team

nd

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< -------------------------
i80286/12Mhz w. 80287 (AMD!!!) co-processor, 1024Kb RAM, floppy drive, no HDD, Trident SVGA video with 512Kb DRAM, 300W PSU. Dos 6.22. Stable as hell. SO WHAT ???
>>

Judging from your sig describing your box, I am not suprised at all in your choice for vi over emacs :D

denali

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
I have a 32k version of vi from an old MKS toolkit that I have on all my DOS boot/emergency disks. At work I use vim because the version of vi that comes with HP-UX won't load big files and does not like long lines. I started programming using e now that is an editor.

br0wn

Jun 22, 2000
do you know that you can use emacs and have a vi mode ?

thus you get the best of both world.

The Dancing Peacock

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
pico ;)

The only editing i do on unix/linux is small. word processing type stuff I'll do in windows, or Star Office if I ever get my Linux box running again.

so I'm not gonna pick a team. I'll stand on the sidelines. :D

late.

TDP

nd

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< do you know that you can use emacs and have a vi mode ?

thus you get the best of both world
>>

If you ignore the fact that emacs takes 3 minutes to start up

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
Between the two; VI. But typically I use KEdit. Just lazy that way. :p

HigherGround

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2000
emacs all the way, although with the release of free Source Navigator I find myself using that editor more and more ( and emacs does not take three min to start unless you are starting it on a remote machine with a heavy traffic between the execution and display nodes )

nd

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
wow.. emacs is getting killed...

higherground,

I was exagerating.

nd

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
ICSVortex,

nah.. pico is a whole different class of editor.. i wanted to keep the poll simple. obviously you won't use vi/emacs all the time, so pick one between the two (like jonnyguru).

i use pico sorta in pine when composing mail ;)