Poll: Trump wants churches packed Easter Sunday. How many of you will take his advice?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Will you take Trump's advice and help pack the churches Easter Sunday?

• Yes. I believe our President and he thinks attending Easter services is a good for the country

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Not sure I follow. What do you think he would have said?

I think he would have said something like this: "Easter is a very important holiday to me, it holds deep meaning within my heart. Of course I know what Easter means, but my feelings about it are too personal to me to tell you here in front of everybody. It means a lot to many, many Americans, and I hope we can go about saying "Happy Easter" again without the nasty liberals telling us we can't".

Or something like that.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I think he would have said something like this: "Easter is a very important holiday to me, it holds deep meaning within my heart. Of course I know what Easter means, but my feelings about it are too personal to me to tell you here in front of everybody. It means a lot to many, many Americans, and I hope we can go about saying "Happy Easter" again without the nasty liberals telling us we can't".

Or something like that.

You're funny. Possibly hilarious if you really believe Trump gives 3/4 of rat's ass about the holy rollers or their book. I especially like how you think Trump is capable of addressing a real question with a real answer, one that reflects an adult grasp of vocabulary, facts and topical fluency. Instead of, you know, the usual word salad of partisan spittle and mind numbing ignorance.

Just curious, do you have any examples of Trump answering a question with something that would indicate he is more than a douchebag with a room temperature IQ? I ask becasue I've never seen or heard of such a thing from him in 3+ years.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
You're funny. I especially like how you think Trump is capable of addressing a real question with a real answer, one that reflects an adult grasp of vocabulary, facts and topical fluency. Instead of, you know, the usual word salad of partisan spittle and mind numbing ignorance.

Just curious, do you have any examples of Trump answering a question with something that would indicate he is more than a douchebag with a room temperature IQ?

Surely the point was that Trump's answer would have been deliberately vague in order to obfuscate the fact that he has no idea what Easter is? Sure, you could run n00ky's version through a Trumpian syntax-mangling filter to get something closer to his uniquely disordered form of words, but the gist of it seems accurate to me. (Bit like when Alan Partridge was going on about The Beatles, but when asked what he thought was their best album could only come up with "The Best Of The Beatles".)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This is a true story that happened last Thursday.
My office has banned all face-to-face meetings to try to at least give some lip service to social distancing, but my manager decided last week that she just could not deal with not having her managers in the room with her when she gave then directives. She decided that it would be too noticeable that we were breaking the ban on meetings if we all went into a conference room so she ordered us to all come to her office for our weekly meeting. So, now a dozen people had to crowd into a room just big enough for a desk and 2 chairs for our meeting. Literally shoulder to shoulder.

Near the end of the meeting one of us asked her if she was not concerned that she would get the coronavirus holding meetings with all of us since she is in the 60ish age range, and each of us are team managers that have 21+ direct reports that we have to face-to-face with daily (no group meetings but our daily face-to-face counselling of our direct reports is still considered mandatory. No, it makes no sense. Welcome to how bureaucracy works.). Her response was to tell us that we didn't notice that she put a bible on her desk between us and her, and that it is scientifically proven that germs can't pass over a bible, so as long as we all stay on the other side of her desk she is protected.

She was not joking. She really believes that germs can't pass over a bible, and that this is scientifically proven.

Luckily starting this week we are closed by order of the City of Dallas.

that bitch has no business leading humans anywhere, to do anything, for any reason. wtf.

So she's "ok", but the rest of you are screwed...

It's the common, predictable behavior of fundy assholes. They claim they are Christians, but all of the magic and great fortune that they believe in is for them and them only. Fuck everyone else, especially the poors and the unfortunate, because that's what Jesus said.

literally--every fundy. All of them.

religious literalists have been the most dangerous disease on this planet for generations.

Louisiana has the fastest growing Covid-19 infection rate IN THE WORLD. It might make sense when you read headlines like this:

Louisiana Pastor Brings 26 Busloads of Passengers Together for Sunday Services

Rodney Howard-Browne Used His Sunday Service to Spread Coronavirus Conspiracy Theories

• COVID-19 is a “phantom plague.”
  • It was created by the Chinese government to tank the U.S. economy.
  • The media is run by Communists.
  • There’s a 75% chance the positive test is negative.
  • Any vaccine will just be a Big Pharma scam.
  • The outbreak was “planned” at a 2019 event organized by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
  • The “deep state” is feeding Donald Trump misinformation.
  • The World Health Organization is conducting “medical tyranny” by telling countries how they ought to respond.
  • Our government has deployed the military for a soon-to-happen war against our national enemies

Catholic Cardinal Burke says faithful should attend Mass despite coronavirus

Ugh!..Science hasn't got a prayer...

Religion is such a catastrophic mess.

If the largest concentration of outbreaks occur among sociopathic Trump-supporting nutjobs that literally believe a phantom lie isn't killing them, but really is killing them, then maybe we should consider this a self-fixing problem.

I feel for the children that are innocently subjecting to the horrible, irresponsible decisions of their so-called adult parents, but that appears to tbe price that they have chosen to pay for supporting their god-emperor.

...but of course it isn't just that. These rabid fuckholes are going to doom us all because they refuse to engage in the common reality that we all live in as modern, educated humans. They literally have no place in this world, and their mass behavior seems to be an angry lashing-out against the world that has left them behind (that, of course, being another choice that they have made). It seems they'd rather the world burn that to have to join it as useful members (actually--this is the core belief of apocalyptic fundies, so no surprise)

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Surely the point was that Trump's answer would have been deliberately vague in order to obfuscate the fact that he has no idea what Easter is? Sure, you could run n00ky's version through a Trumpian syntax-mangling filter to get something closer to his uniquely disordered form of words, but the gist of it seems accurate to me. (Bit like when Alan Partridge was going on about The Beatles, but when asked what he thought was their best album could only come up with "The Best Of The Beatles".)

"Easter is a very important holiday to me, it holds deep meaning in my heart."

That is not vague, and is not an assertion supported by demonstrable facts. Trying to defend Trump with a speculative version of Trump that does not exist is what they do though. I think trumpets would do better to check their fiction at the door, deal with Trump as he is. But then again, if they could do that they probably wouldn't be trumpets.

Did not know that about Alan Partridge (their fame was a little before my time), but omg if that happened on a talk show or something I can just imagine the cringe of poseur shock rippling through the crowd.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
"Easter is a very important holiday to me, it holds deep meaning in my heart."

That is not vague, and is not an assertion supported by demonstrable facts. Trying to defend Trump with a speculative version of Trump that does not exist is what they do though. I think trumpets would do better to check their fiction at the door, deal with Trump as he is. But then again, if they could do that they probably wouldn't be trumpets.

Did not know that about Alan Partridge (their fame was a little before my time), but omg if that happened on a talk show or something I can just imagine the cringe of poseur shock rippling through the crowd.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding n00ky's comment (I have no idea what he's said before on the subject) but the remark you quote is completely generic, and in no way depends on actually knowing what Easter celebrates or means. That's pretty much what I'd expect someone to say who wanted to please Christian voters despite not actually knowing anything about Christianity - and I kind of assumed that was n00ky's point. I wouldn't say it was in any way flattering Trump.

(Alan Partridge was a TV sitcom, Steve Coogan's creation - too much of a Brit-specific reference, I guess!)

Reactions: kage69

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Maybe I'm misunderstanding n00ky's comment (I have no idea what he's said before on the subject) but the remark you quote is completely generic, and in no way depends on actually knowing what Easter celebrates or means. That's pretty much what I'd expect someone to say who wanted to please Christian voters despite not actually knowing anything about Christianity - and I kind of assumed that was n00ky's point. I wouldn't say it was in any way flattering Trump.

(Alan Partridge was a TV sitcom, Steve Coogan's creation - too much of a Brit-specific reference, I guess!)

Well I'm glad you made it as now I have a show to watch! I'm a little horrified I missed this apparent gem as my comedic tastes have always been a little brit different. Python, Adder, Faulty Towers, Young Ones, The Office, all standard fare. How did I miss this?!

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Well I'm glad you made it as now I have a show to watch! I'm a little horrified I missed this apparent gem as my comedic tastes have always been a little brit different. Python, Adder, Faulty Towers, Young Ones, The Office, all standard fare. How did I miss this?!

There are a lot of series with that character (world's worst chat-show host) - which I remember as being great, but maybe they'll have dated by now, dunno. The later ones probably make more sense if you've seen the first ones.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004

Yes, I was being sarcastic. there's a fun little clip of Trump being asked what his favorite scripture is out there somewhere, and you'd love his reply.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
little acts of normalcy are important in these dark times. so, i will continue not going to church on easter sunday.
It ain’t like it used to be. Now they roll back that rock and fire Jesus into the choir loft with a canon.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018

Christian pastor who thought COVID-19 is just ‘mass hysteria’ is among the first in Virginia to die from virus
1585257597110.png

One of the first deaths in Virginia from coronavirus was a 66-year-old Christian “musical evangelist” who fell ill while on a trip to New Orleans with his wife. As the Friendly Atheist’s Hemant Mehta points out, Landon Spradlin had previously shared opinions that the pandemic was the result of “mass hysteria” from the media.

On March 13, Spradlin shared a misleading meme that compared coronavirus deaths to swine flu deaths and suggested the media is using the pandemic to hurt Trump. In the comments, Spradlin acknowledged that the outbreak is a “real issue,” but added that he believes “the media is pumping out fear and doing more harm than good”

“It will come and it will go,” he wrote. (It came and he went)

That same day, he shared a post from another pastor that told the story of a missionary in South Africa who “protected” himself from the bubonic plague with the “Spirit of God.”

“As long as I walk in the light of that law [of the Spirit of life], no germ will attach itself to me,” read a quote from the post.

Last edited:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Christian pastor who thought COVID-19 is just ‘mass hysteria’ is among the first in Virginia to die from virus
View attachment 18682

One of the first deaths in Virginia from coronavirus was a 66-year-old Christian “musical evangelist” who fell ill while on a trip to New Orleans with his wife. As the Friendly Atheist’s Hemant Mehta points out, Landon Spradlin had previously shared opinions that the pandemic was the result of “mass hysteria” from the media.

On March 13, Spradlin shared a misleading meme that compared coronavirus deaths to swine flu deaths and suggested the media is using the pandemic to hurt Trump. In the comments, Spradlin acknowledged that the outbreak is a “real issue,” but added that he believes “the media is pumping out fear and doing more harm than good”

That same day, he shared a post from another pastor that told the story of a missionary in South Africa who “protected” himself from the bubonic plague with the “Spirit of God.”

“As long as I walk in the light of that law [of the Spirit of life], no germ will attach itself to me,” read a quote from the post.
It sucks when the fake news Virus turns deadly.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
God won't protect me from this virus? :(
He has tried to He revealed science to mankind so we could learn wisdom and apply it to our daily lives. Unfortunately modern evangelicals look at science akin to witchcraft from the dark ages.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016

View attachment 18682

I wonder if he thought it was still a Demonrat/Lamestream Media plot to get his God-Emporer while he was drowning in his liquified lungs?