[POLL] - TiVo, DVR, SageTV, etc(

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
So it looks like good old Tivo is winning so far. It looks great but I just can bring my self to pay a monthly fee for something that I purchase outright and use in my own home. Seems like a big scam. heh.

No messing with tapes, no stupid VCR settings, no tape storage issues, the intelligent TIVO suggestions, dual tuners so you can record 2 shows & watch a 3rd recorded one, DIY HD upgrades that work perfectly.

Big thumbs up for TIVO, it changes the way you watch TV.

I think one of the reasons they've been so accepted is that they virtually encourage you to hack them, same mindset as PC's, If they'd start a standardized board & sell the software cheap, they could rule the world, I'd build a custom TIVO in a heartbeat.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Ameesh
i used to use a ReplayTV now i use a Windows Media Center PC 2005, it rapes the competition
I have a TiVo and a homebuilt MCE2k5 box, the MCE box has recently replaced the TiVo in the livingroom. MCE rocks. Even my gf loves it, and she's a diehard TiVo fan (as am I). MCE still isn't for the average consumer though.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: kalster
sage tv user here
love it

Just curious, why did you choose SageTV over BeyondTV?

If you're using a small HTPC, which case?

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
i have both beyond tv and sage tv, i found sage tv to be more snappy, changing channel, recording options, the gui in general

i also liked that in sage you have everything integrated , divx's , mp3's, tv iteself, its convenient, i guess you can do that with beyond media + beyond tv as well.

i had a slim pc but the power supply for that got bust so i bought the aria, i guess its not the smallest case around but i like it, its very quiet and it takes regular sized pci card, i plan to add a hdtv wonder card soon,

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
I have an HTPC running Meedio (formerly myHTPC) and DirecTIVO.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
kalster, thanks for the info.

My only complaint about SageTV is you need two licenses if you want to stream (that's included with BeyondTV).

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by: RossMAN
kalster, thanks for the info.

My only complaint about SageTV is you need two licenses if you want to stream (that's included with BeyondTV).

mm not sure about that

when i had beyond tv running i could open that webport set up in beyondtv off my laptop and i could see the live tv

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Whatever you're using, just make sure that nothing is blocking the vents. This causes a lot of HD failures. I have the Time Warner High Definition DVR, it works great, but the vents are on top so nothing can sit atop of it.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Dari
Whatever you're using, just make sure that nothing is blocking the vents. This causes a lot of HD failures. I have the Time Warner High Definition DVR, it works great, but the vents are on top so nothing can sit atop of it.
That's probably the cable box portion of the box. My TWC digital cable boxes get so damn hot I can't touch them. They're a freaking firehazard.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
none yet (well, I used to have an HTPC, but no longer use it). looking into Direct TV's DVR at the moment, since I already have their service.

777php

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
how does mce2005 stack up against mythtv? I'm curious to see as a bunch of you guys seem to be using it. It might be less annoying to dual boot just so I can play HL2.

Kishan

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: 777php
how does mce2005 stack up against mythtv? I'm curious to see as a bunch of you guys seem to be using it. It might be less annoying to dual boot just so I can play HL2.

You'll have to get new drivers for everything. Other than that, I heard its pretty good;)

WarDemon666

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2000
Homebrew software for me!

Altough I sold my good computer, and my POS mmx 233 isnt fast enough for live TV any more :(

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
AIW 9800 + ATI MMC
Capture on my main rig, then stream across the network to client PCs.