Poll: texts in the middle of the night

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Is it ok to email or text out in the middle of the night?

• Yes

• Yes but email only

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
I leave mine on vibrate and on my nightstand. Most people who call or text me are considerate but the one time they aren't they will either be blocked or put on the silent list.

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
I wish there was a setting to mute texts at night, but allow calls. I don't want to be woken up by a text, but I would like a call to come through. If that's possible I haven't seen it.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
1. My iPhone is also my alarm clock, so I leave it on at night.

2. I work in IT, and a lot of emergencies happen at night, so I get texts in the middle of the night at least once a month.

3. From time to time I get family/friend texts in the middle of the night (especially group texts), but I mention to most people that I need my sleep & would prefer that they not text me at night when I need my sleep (and I NEED my sleep), although some people just don't get it. Luckily the iPhone has a do-not-disturb feature for specific group texts & whatnot, so if the first text wakes me up & it's not critical, I can just put that group into DnD mode.

I do not plan on working in IT forever; being able to put my phone into "sleep" mode at night & not being in a constant state of readiness mentally is one of the things I'm most looking forward to when that day comes.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I used to be the same way - blocked texts because I had to pay for each of them, even incoming that I didn't solicit. Then more modern phone plans came into play and texts are included in the price which made me realize how convenient they really are. You don't have to take a fricken phone call for every little thing. And it's more immediate than email which the avg person doesn't check but a couple times a day.

I kind of want to know if my immediate family member is headed for the hospital or if there was some emergency at their house. Look at it from their perspective... you cannot be reached in an emergency (maybe you intend it that way).

Yeah but I could also be fuckin exhausted and just sleep thru the ringer anyways.
So really, no one should bet on getting me in the middle of the night.

Dec 10, 2005
I wish there was a setting to mute texts at night, but allow calls. I don't want to be woken up by a text, but I would like a call to come through. If that's possible I haven't seen it.
I can set that on my Android phone. It looks like it's under DND rules.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
No texts between 8pm and 8am unless it's an emergency or someone who I know will be up at that time.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Me personally I don't care if people text me at night, because if I'm sleeping I probably won't wake up anyway. But I try to avoid texting others as I don't know if it will be the same for them. Some people tend to have some really loud and obnoxious alerts for simple things like texts. I don't really get that myself, I prefer something short and subtle. On the other hand if a simple texts wakes them the hell out of bed then it's their own fault for having such a loud alert.

I keep my ringer on though, since if there is an emergency or I have the opportunity for a work call-out then I want to make sure I can be reached.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
I don't carry around my phone at home, it sits on the charger pad until I go out. We still have a land line as the cell phone signal sucks at my house.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
I will send a text at any hour of the day or night. No "emergency" is worth interrupting my beauty sleep, so just like everyone else, I turn my phone on silent if I do not want to be disturbed while sleeping.