[POLL] Teen Questioned Over Violent Threats Against the President on MySpace

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
If the guy tried to kick your ass, you could shoot him, although you'd have a hell of time at court. The president however, is a member of the civil government, and thus, a threat against him is one against the government.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel
Right. The Al-Qaeda hasn't killed Bush yet but a 14-year-old White Californian Girl might be a threat.

This is plain stupid.
Right. The 14-year-old White Californian Girl is able to continue on with her life, yet many people of Al-Qaeda, and people suspected of involvement with Al-Queda are being tortored in secret prisons and held without trial in Gitmo.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: her209
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: her209
You cannot use a right to break a law. (Say you claim your religion requires you to sacrifice virgins... your freedom of religion is restrained by the law because it infringes on the rights of others)
But is it illegal to claim it even if you don't have any intention to actually perform the sacrifice?
A threat is as real as the person it is made against believes it to be. Threats are illegal not because of real intent, but because of intent the victim infers.

In other words, threats cause people to live in fear, thus violating their rights. Intent has very little to do with it.
So the next logical questoin is "Who determines what constitutes a threat?" I mean, if I make a funny joke about a guy's wife and he says "I'm going to kick your ass." would that be illegal? If I feel that he isn't kidding, and report the guy to the police, what happens to the guy? Can I shoot the guy and claim self-defense because I felt threatened?
You can shoot anyone you want and claim self defense. But good luck convincing a judge & jury, because you're going to jail for a looooong time.

Because if you felt threatened and your life is not in imminent danger, you contact the police and it is their job to sort out the situation and determine the risks, as they are far more qualified to make those determinations. Just like if the president is threatened, it is the secret service's job to sort out the situation.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: cubby1223
Right. The 14-year-old White Californian Girl is able to continue on with her life, yet many people of Al-Qaeda, and people suspected of involvement with Al-Queda are being tortored in secret prisons and held without trial in Gitmo.

Take your politics to the appropriate forum.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
yes the SS had the right ot talk to her. she did something that was a threat to Bush. BUT her parents and a lawyer should have been present when questioned.

There is no law that her parents have to be present and she did not ask for a lawyer.

QFT...parents are usually the cause of this all.

Also wow...I have a heart on my backpack...then show hurting someone.

I usually don't agree with our presidents, but they were voted in. I could always move out if I need too.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Pabster

we are looking for him....ve hav da meens to solve dis problem.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Right. The Al-Qaeda hasn't killed Bush yet but a 14-year-old White Californian Girl might be a threat.

This is plain stupid.
Take your useless comments to the appropriate forum. Oh wait, I forgot this already is off-topic.

So you don't think that comment was an appropriate response, as the original commenter says that the government considers a high-school teenager more of a threat that than Al-Qaeda, which just simply is not true, and the proof is right there. That's all. Don't look into it any further. I'm not debating anything political, and will not comment on it any further.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001

This is plain stupid.
Take your useless comments to the appropriate forum. Oh wait, I forgot this already is off-topic.

So you don't think that comment was an appropriate response, as the original commenter says that the government considers a high-school teenager more of a threat that than Al-Qaeda, which just simply is not true, and the proof is right there. That's all. Don't look into it any further. I'm not debating anything political, and will not comment on it any further.

Do you not understand what the job of the Secret Service is?

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
The Secret Service has two jobs.

Stopping counterfit money.

Protecting the president.

They were doing their job.

What she did could easily constitute, making a threat towards the president and inciting violence towards the president. Both types of speech that are NOT protected by the 1st amendment.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
(1) Yes.. The secret service was doing its job by investigating ALL threats to the president, however seemingly minor.

(2) Yes.. Her parents should absolutely have been present at the interview because she is a minor & it was poor judgment on the agents part to do so because if any credible threat had been exposed, evidence found in the interview would have been worthless in court.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

This is plain stupid.

you do realize you are talking about an entity and also an individual...I do believe if those in the Al Qaeda told the SS where they were waiting for them, the problem would sort itself out.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Captante
(1) Yes.. The secret service was doing its job by investigating ALL threats to the president, however seemingly minor.

(2) Yes.. Her parents should absolutely have been present at the interview because she is a minor & it was poor judgment on the agents part to do so because if any credible threat had been exposed, evidence found in the interview would have been worthless in court.

Uh, no. There is no right for a minor to have their parent present for questioning. The kid can ask, but police do not have to grant it. Likewise parents do not have a legal right to be involved in the questioning of their child.

Any information obtained is 100% valid in a court of law(in most states), and would be more than credible.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Originally posted by: smack Down

Right the vast myspace consipiricy. So lets assume you are right they traced the IP to the house. Ok so now they have confirmation that it was posted by a 14 year old girl and doing more investigation is even more pointless.

Man, you really are an idiot. Do you think before you post at all?

Info can be forged. IP addresses can be faked. So what if they traced the IP address to someone's house? You think they should stop there?
SS: "Ok, this IP address is traced to that house. Since it is from that house, it must be a 14 year old girl."

Right :roll:

They still had to question her. There's that 0.00001% chance that it wasn't really her who posted it. If she wasn't the one who posted it, they'd need to find out who did. They can't find that out without questioning her.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: JLGatsby
she made a THREAT. they have a duty to question her for it. Hell they could have even arrested her for it (granted not sure if it would go anywhere in courts).

It was a 14 year old girl! She was no threat. Kids say stuff like that all the time.

You know the CIA is overfunded when they start questioning middle school kids.

Yeah, a fourteen year old is no threat.

How many kids 14 year old kids have ever shot someone?

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
and the point is how do you know its a unimportant threat until you check it out?

What are you, a robot? Common sense!

It was on a effing myspace page!!

Haven't you ever heard the saying "Hiding in plain sight."? Most people have a tendency to not take things on myspace seriously..... so what better place for a truly serious person to say things like "KILL BUSH!" and mean it?

Oh, and how did you get back in?

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
"They yelled at me a lot," she said. "They were unnecessarily mean."

Welcome to reality, little girl. Now go back to hugging your tree, and leave the world to those that can handle it.

The funniest line is when she claims that she's not going to kill anyone, she's a peace loving person. How many wanna-be political assassins do you think feel the same way about themselves? This might have been on the outside edge of being a credible threat, but the secret service has to check any and every threat they have against the prez.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Babbles
Assumptions can get people killed.

Yeah but EVERYONE does it, even you and me.

We all make small assumptions that risk our lives, so unless you walk around dressed like a crash dummy, sterilize all your food, never drink, never smoke, and never drive faster than 15mph don't tell me not to assume.

JLGatsby, putting the "ass" in "assume" since 09/06/2005.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: supafly
Originally posted by: smack Down

Right the vast myspace consipiricy. So lets assume you are right they traced the IP to the house. Ok so now they have confirmation that it was posted by a 14 year old girl and doing more investigation is even more pointless.

Man, you really are an idiot. Do you think before you post at all?

Info can be forged. IP addresses can be faked. So what if they traced the IP address to someone's house? You think they should stop there?
SS: "Ok, this IP address is traced to that house. Since it is from that house, it must be a 14 year old girl."

Right :roll:

They still had to question her. There's that 0.00001% chance that it wasn't really her who posted it. If she wasn't the one who posted it, they'd need to find out who did. They can't find that out without questioning her.

What about the .000001% chance that she lied to the investigators. When do they stop investigating. You have your limit I have mine.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Wreckem
Originally posted by: Captante

Uh, no. There is no right for a minor to have their parent present for questioning. The kid can ask, but police do not have to grant it. Likewise parents do not have a legal right to be involved in the questioning of their child.

Any information obtained is 100% valid in a court of law(in most states), and would be more than credible.

Not according to my friend who was a NY State assistant-DA for 15 years & is a criminal lawyer now ... any information obtained from a
minor questioned without either their parents/legal guardians permission or presence is inadmissable in court (at least in NY State) & further can lead to lawsuits for violation of said minors civil rights.

Edit: Bear in mind that NY State is pretty liberal when it comes to this sort of thing.