Discussion Poll: Soldier of Fortune is 19 years old

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
So I just finished replaying the original Soldier of Fortune and really enjoyed it. After all these years it remains a true classic. Crisp detailed textures despite its age, some unique locations like Iraq and Serbia, weapons that are fun to use, and the stumps-guts-bleeding gore. In 2000 you could keep cutting a dead body with knife and it would slowly disintegrate.
SOF1.jpg
The second game is my favorite with great graphics that look nice even today. More gore (e.g. spurting blood in time to a heartbeat), military style weapons, and interesting locations like Colombia, a Swiss airport, and a rainy freighter. Also the AI has an uncanny knack of lobbing grenades exactly where they need to go.
SOF2.jpg
Payback is an interesting example of a hit & miss game (pun intended). The weapon modeling and selection is absolutely awesome and the graphics are quite nice. Also the gore is so silly that it's pure entertainment.

But the level design is average to mediocre with frequent bad difficulty spikes and unfair checkpoints. Also the AI is generally pretty dumb. It's an OK budget title overall. No screenshot for that one as I don't have it installed.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I still have my boxed copies of 1 & 2, will probably dig them soon out as modern shooters are pretty but mind numbingly boring, especially if Anthem doesn't go well.

Last edited:

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
The only one I played from start to finish was the first, specifically on the PS2. I liked it. I believe I rented the 2nd one at some point, can't recall the platform (maybe the original Xbox); and most likely never finished it. I never played nor ever saw the third one.

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
SOF 2 got me hooked on PC MP FPS back in the day. I fondly remember the random generated maps, and the battle dancing. Also, the leaning. Had a blast playing it. Always liked it better than CS honestly.