POLL: Should people who live through botched suicide attempts be prosecuted for attempted murder or....

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Should people who live through botched suicide attempts be prosecuted for attempted murder or be involuntarily institutionalized in a state facility for a period of no less than one year, or neither. If neither, why?

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Their life is their property. If they want to throw it away, that's their choice. Besides, who the hell wants suicidal people alive anyways?

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Neither. Most of them simply need some help and love to find their will to live again.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: DAGTA
Neither. Most of them simply need some help and love to find their will to live again.

But if there is no one to provide help (or love) then maybe they can get help in a mental ward.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: FelixDeKat
Originally posted by: DAGTA

But if there is no one to provide help (or love) then maybe they can get help in a mental ward.

Maybe.

the idea of being drugged and caged doesn't seem like it would inspire to me to find a will to live again.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
Their life is their property. If they want to throw it away, that's their choice. Besides, who the hell wants suicidal people alive anyways?

I think most people go through "spells" and some even become suicidal. Some even try to go through with it. Thats a clear signal that those that live need some help, mental or correctional.

LEDominator

May 31, 2006
They should be taken to a psychiatrist and if nothing else then be taken to a mental hospital if there is no other place to go.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Prosecuted? Hell no.

Maybe put through a treatment, see a psychiatrist, that type of thing. Prosecuting them, if they didn't physically harm anyone else besides themself, is retarded. A person has the right to harm their own body (no matter how dumb you may think that is).

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
prosecution: ****** BULLSHIT
instituionalized: better, but not for a year...
better solution: force them to see psychatrist and be under some form of watch

it depends a lot on the case...some people are pretty jacked up...lock them in looney house for a bit and see if they will recover...or just let them die...they may take someone with them if they get crazy enough

Sc4freak

Oct 22, 2004
Capital punishment is the only way to deal with attempted suicide.

Seriously, though, they would probably need to see a psychiatrist and be assessed for mental instability.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Why the fvck would you want to prosecute them *or* institutionalize them? It is *their* life. If they botched an attempt to kill someone else, then fine, but when it is just themself that they were trying to eliminate... leave them alone, it should be their call.

BillyBatson

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
d00d you can't prosecute someone for suicide! they must have their reasons and being happy is NOT one of them! so how are you going to take an extremely despressed person, who just tried to kill themselves and failed at it thus prob lowing their self esteeem even more, and prosecute them as if they are a criminal and send them to jail! Like that is REALLY going to fix the problem and help them want to live....

Institutionalizing them isn;t the best idea either. You can do it case by case basis such as if they are a repeat case then sure institutionalize them, or if they have good reason to think they will do it again. They have to hold them for 1 day? i think anyway and they are released to say family and the family can help them and help decide what steps need to be taken.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Neither:

Philosopically, I agree w/ <ugh> hamburgerboy. And pragmatically, neither will help them. Therapy will. Locking them up in an asylum will not.

wetcat007

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2002
Do people actually get charged with that? I thought the law simply existed so that police could stop you from doing it and so other people couldn't help you do it.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: wetcat007
Do people actually get charged with that? I thought the law simply existed so that police could stop you from doing it and so other people couldn't help you do it.

Throw the damn book at them for attempted murder of oneself. Two decades of bread 'n water oughta put an end to those suicide attempts. :thumbsup:

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Yeah lets punish people who are already miserable enough that they'd try to commit suicide

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Deeko
This is the dumbest question I've ever seen asked.

Why? Dont you care about suicidal types enough to decide what should be done for them. Just saying something is stupid without giving a reason is stupid in itself.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Why punish them, if they can't do it right the first time, let the idiots try it again. I have no sympathy for someone who tries to take their life.