Poll: Should I take the test to become a NYS trooper?

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
The deadline is coming up on feb 1 and I would hate to throw away an opprotunity. Starting is around $48K and goes to about $60 after five years. Not bad for upstate NY.

Grey

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 1999
My brother is going in for the NJ test, I hope he does well. Download the study exam material if you can find it.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: optoman
The deadline is coming up on feb 1 and I would hate to throw away an opprotunity. Starting is around $48K and goes to about $60 after five years. Not bad for upstate NY.

If you meet the qualifications optoman, then I say go for it :)

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
I should ace the test since most of the questions are using common logic. I took the sample and it was a no brainer. I am just wanting to keep my options open for any future prospects. My wife wasn't to happy about the thought of me leaving for training for six months. My only problem is that I need to be able to run 1.5 miles in about 12 minutes. Shouldn't be a problem but the last time I ran a mile was about 2 years ago and got around 6 minutes. Need to hit the gym asap.

The test does cost $20 so that's all I would be out if I nothing came of it.

Edit: its only 20 yrs till retirement and you get half salary after you retire. I know many people that retire after 20 and have a good life.

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
Originally posted by: Piano Man
I wouldn't become a cop for the money. Do it because you want to help out society.

I love watching cops on tv and have always had the temptation to become one but never had the opportunity. My career isn't going anywhere right now and the thought of going back for a masters isn't first on my list.