POLL: Secession?

Should states be allowed to secede from the Union?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

openwheel

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2012
sell the hillbilly states to the Mexicans.
we'll allow those who registered Democrats or Independents lower rates into California. Free second day pass to Disneyland too.

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
State's rights are the only means to progress and move forward in this nation. When free to help their citizens, some will become successful role models for others to follow. We'd move beyond our current arguments and break the impasse of our two party Goliath.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Forgive me for asking daft questions here but I'm not American, what is the procedure to leave the union?

In the UK some politicians want an independent Scotland so the Scots are being given a vote on whether to remain part of the UK or not. This seems fair and democratic, I can't see that 'the nation' has more of a hold over people than people have a hold over the nation.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Forgive me for asking daft questions here but I'm not American, what is the procedure to leave the union?

There is no procedure. You make it up as you go.

The state government would need to break federal laws, and convince its own citizens to pay taxes directly to the state - not to the IRS. It'd require a great deal of reorganization with gains or (more likely) loss in revenue.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

What we have done in the past is that any states that secede are asked very nicely to come back. And if they don't we kick their asses and free their slaves.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
What we have done in the past is that any states that secede are asked very nicely to come back. And if they don't we kick their asses and free their slaves.

That seems curiously undemocratic (apart from the slaves bit).

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Actually quite democratic; the sane majority keeps the whack-a-doodle minority in the union to protect them from themselves.

Try and look at your stance on this from a neutral standpoint.

If Scottish people vote to leave the UK should they be allowed to?

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Yes. But if Quebec is any indication in Canada, they'll want to come back within 4 years after their federal distributions and economic ties disappear. Then 4 years after that, they'll want to secede again...

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Try and look at your stance on this from a neutral standpoint.

If Scottish people vote to leave the UK should they be allowed to?
Yes, the Scots can go. But Wales has to stay, sorry.

I always kind of wondered why the rest of the UK didn't just tell Northern Ireland Unionists to get bent and throw Northern Ireland out. Keeping it is such a pain in the ass.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yes. But if Quebec is any indication in Canada, they'll want to come back within 4 years after their federal distributions and economic ties disappear. Then 4 years after that, they'll want to secede again...

They don't get a right to rejoin. If they decide to request to rejoin then it should be up to the citizens of the nation they want to join to decide.

Also the procedure to leave should be long and involved to exempt any "OMG! We lost the election" flounces and to give time to sort out the practicalities.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yes, the Scots can go. But Wales has to stay, sorry.

I always kind of wondered why the rest of the UK didn't just tell Northern Ireland Unionists to get bent and throw Northern Ireland out. Keeping it is such a pain in the ass.

Mainly because Northern Ireland is, and wants to remain, British.

Wales wouldn't vote to leave, neither will Scotland.

Edit: Why would we throw them out anyway?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
sure.

but I'd put the threshold pretty high, like a referendum requiring a two-thirds majority of the vote to be accepted.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
This country is a sum of it's parts. Strength in numbers. It would never benefit the majority to let Nebraska secede. Oh but you ask about states on the periphery? Sorry but I don't see how breaking up would lead to any kind of additional prosperity. I see border conflicts, trade disputes, and worse. The types of people that would secede would be fundamentalists and people that would seriously threaten the rest of us. No chance.

I see this as a moot point since what are we truly discussing? A couple backwoods rednecks and fundamentalists who are upset Obama won.