POLL: Own or lease your cable modem?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
DSL here...

Isn't leasing a cable modem sort of like how leasing your phone used to be? (i.e. complete and utter ripoff)

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The Toshiba pcx1100 is provided as part of the TW RR service and does not appear as a seperate charge on my cable bill. However, I will call them today to see if returning theirs and buying my own will result in a significant reduction in my monthly RR bill.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
I guess it's a lease, but they told me that it's provided for free. I assume I'm going to need to give it back if I discontinue my service.

It's a Toshiba PCX1100U. The service is Road Runner.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
its part of the monthly fee, it isn't broken out seperately as a specific monthly charge
i pay $44.95/month for RR in Kansas City area

cthulhu

Golden Member
Feb 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Fausto1
Own. No way would I ever pay to lease one as you'd have paid for the damn thing in a year or so.

Fausto

Heck ya. That's why I own also.

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Leasing an RCA right now and will buy one (SB4100/4200 or maybe the linksys) after the $19.95/mo runs out. $5-10/month adds up quickly enough to pay for one.

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Leasing for $5 a month a Surfboard somethinerother (don't know, don't care, it works.)

It's getting a little more tempting now to buy one with prices dipping below $100. I'm just skeptical of being with the cable company for a long enough time to justify/recoup the costs. I figure they'll probably jack rates or make the service really crappy right after I take the plunge and buy one.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Own
RCA

Purchased from Cox cable for $50 - special incentive. $35 month connection charges

If I were to lease it would cost $5/month. Payes for itself within 1 year.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Lease a Surfboard $10/mo.

I really need to get off my ass and buy one. I just don't want to have to deal with AT&T when I try and do the switchover.

amish

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: bigrash9
I lease a Toshiba PCX1000. I'm thinking of buying one soon

Toshiba SUCKS at making cable modems. Trust me. Yours may be working flawlessly but you're a very lucky man in that case.

nik

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
I own a Toshiba 1100 PCX but have been using the cable companies Motorola Surfboard rent free for about a year now. This came about after 4 months of my complaining that the service was not working correctly and @Homes persistent claims that I was a moron and did not know what I was talking about. When I finally convinced them to bring one of their modems to my residence to see if that would fix the problem the technician discovered that they had installed an incorrect video trap on my line that was actually trapping the channel the data service was delivered on. He left the modem since it was already configured and I assume the no rent part is to placate me after months of being told by them that there was no problem. The really interesting thing was that the Toshiba would maintain synch even with the bad trap installed but the Motorola was unable to synch at all.

Cyco

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
Neither...cable broadband not available in my area. I have ADSL though, and I own the modem.