Poll: Northern France - 1943 "Evil Nazi"

uncouth

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
You are walking down the street in a village in Northern France. You hear a muffled shot fired from several blocks away. Suddenly, a SS-car rounds the corner and stops sharply in front of you. Before you are able to react 4 soldiers and an officer jump out of the car aiming their guns at you. The officer walks towards you smiling and says. "Hallo Sir, I had been planning to kill ze first person zhat I happened upon this morning. Luckly for you, you are ze second person. I now give you a choice, either take this gun and kill one of ze children", indicating a group of children playing, "or I shall shoot both your kneecaps in and then kill you" He then pulls out a revolver and procedes to unload it except for one bullet. He then hands you the gun saying: "The choice is yours, Freund"

What do you do?

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I'd ask, Don't you hate pants?.

I'd probably shoot the bastard himself first.

Regine

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2000
Either way you'd probably end up dead. SS officers weren't your usual soldiers.....

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
I'll be honest and say what you all won't: I'd kill the kids. We're all human, we all care only about ourselves when you get down to the core of it, who gives a damn about kids we don't know? There were 5+ billion people in the world at the time, and any of them (except possibly the insane) would kill the kids to ensure their own livlihood, if only for a little longer.

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
To all the people who say "shoot the Nazis": what exactly would this achieve? You kill 1 (maybe 2 if you throw the gun at another and it hits him in the skull and somehow penetrates it), and then 5 seconds later you're dead. A day later your family is gone. A month later those kids you so "heroically" saved are now dead. Have you achieved anything or did it just seem like the right thing to say in front of all your Anandtech buddies? ;)

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Maybe I'd shoot him, maybe I'd shoot myself. I dunno, it was a different time and people thought different back then. Maybe I'd say shoot the kids. I really don't know.

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
To all the people who say "shoot the Nazis": what exactly would this achieve? You kill 1 (maybe 2 if you throw the gun at another and it hits him in the skull and somehow penetrates it), and then 5 seconds later you're dead. A day later your family is gone. A month later those kids you so "heroically" saved are now dead. Have you achieved anything or did it just seem like the right thing to say in front of all your Anandtech buddies?

At least I'll be in heaven. :p I don't think I can kill those innocent kids. Unless you were one of them. ;)

Don't you hate pants?

BA

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 1999
To all the people who say "shoot the Nazis": what exactly would this achieve? You kill 1 (maybe 2 if you throw the gun at another and it hits him in the skull and somehow penetrates it), and then 5 seconds later you're dead. A day later your family is gone. A month later those kids you so "heroically" saved are now dead. Have you achieved anything or did it just seem like the right thing to say in front of all your Anandtech buddies?

Why stand in front of a ChiCom tank in Tianamen Square?

Or perhaps something everyone here will recognize. Dune- remember the tooth!

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000

<< To all the people who say &quot;shoot the Nazis&quot;: what exactly would this achieve? You kill 1 (maybe 2 if you throw the gun at another and it hits him in the skull and somehow penetrates it), and then 5 seconds later you're dead. A day later your family is gone. A month later those kids you so &quot;heroically&quot; saved are now dead. Have you achieved anything or did it just seem like the right thing to say in front of all your Anandtech buddies? >>

Well then what it seems like you're trying to get at is that there is no correct answer to this question. You say that if you kill the one Nazi then you'll be dead, then your family, then those kids. Well, if you let them shoot you first they'll still get your family and the kids. And if you shoot the kids they'll still get you/your family.

I don't see how this situation entails any moral dilemma. If, as you say, everyone dies in the end anyway, then it's simply a matter of order. I have no idea what I would do in that situation (and hopefuilly I won't ever have to find out), but I would like to think I would take the gun and defend myself by shooting at the Nazis. That way, even if the kids die, their blood is on the Nazi guards and not me.

uncouth
Could you explain a little just what prompted you to post this hypothetical situation? Was this just something you thought of or did someone pose it to you?

l2c

DarK SagE

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
DUde im pretty sure the Nazi would shoot u either way so i would rather take one of them with me.... i'd point the gun at his fore head and shoot, grap the bastard rifle and blow all those other mofos away. Then i'd dress up ass he nazi officer and drive straight into hitlersbunker for some tea. I'd pull out a grenade and be like &quot; you foo make my day&quot; drop the biatch on the floor and run like hell befor the grenades blows up.. at the same time i'd do a summersault and put a bullet between his eyes with the luger i got off the nazi. Then i would drive the car to normandy and singlehandedly defeat the entire german resistance on d-day.

Boo yah Pretender sure beats shooting some kids. Or maybe i would just shoot the officer... hmmm

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000

<< And if you shoot the kids they'll still get you/your family. >>

That's not definate, unlike the other situations. The fact that they didn't come up to you and shoot you, and decided to trust you with a gun is an indication that you probably won't die. If they wanted to kill you, they wouldn't give you a gun first.

<< DUde im pretty sure the Nazi would shoot u either way so i would rather take one of them with me.... i'd point the gun at his fore head and shoot, grap the bastard rifle and blow all those other mofos away. Then i'd dress up ass he nazi officer and drive straight into hitlersbunker for some tea. I'd pull out a grenade and be like &quot; you foo make my day&quot; drop the biatch on the floor and run like hell befor the grenades blows up.. at the same time i'd do a summersault and put a bullet between his eyes with the luger i got off the nazi. Then i would drive the car to normandy and singlehandedly defeat the entire german resistance on d-day. >>

If Arnold Schwarzerhoweveryouspellit had a script like that he'd be a billionaire :)

DarK SagE

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
U think i can become the new real american superhero?(say that with an accent)

COme on Pretender, lets produce ths movie we can make billions or even trilions!?!?!??

We will be rich and swiming in chicks!

yum chicks for real american superhereo!

BA

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 1999
<<<< And if you shoot the kids they'll still get you/your family. >>

That's not definate, unlike the other situations. The fact that they didn't come up to you and shoot you, and decided to trust you with a gun is an indication that you probably won't die. If they wanted to kill you, they wouldn't give you a gun first. >>

It's an SS officer telling you to shoot kids. You have no guarantees. And I for one wouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt.

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
It's not definate that if you shoot the kids you'll live, but you essentially have 2 options (ignoring direct suicide):
1) Shoot the kids. The nazi's may let you live, they may kill you. For the purposes of this conversation, the chances are 50/50.
2) Shoot an SS officer. One SS officer dies, the others quickly shoot you. If somehow they miss you with all their shots, the commotion causes other officers from nearby areas to come and shoot you anyway. You die, no iffs, ands or buts.

Personally, as well as anyone actually in the position (not the wannabe &quot;good guys&quot; who would do the right thing because it sounds good, but those who are staring at the possibility of their death), I would opt for #1.

tomcat

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
I was pondering what kind of sick mind would think this up... ehem uncouth? Watching some WWII DivX lately or what?