POLL: leave wood panel, paint wood panel, hang sheetrock

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: se7enty7
I think my poll is broken

seek professional medical attention, you don't want any long term damage to your poll

uh, your poll is broke dick dude

MystikMango

Jan 8, 2004
Yup, it's busted.

Edit: I forgot... I would rip the panels down and re-spackle the walls, unless there wasn't sheetrock behind the panels, then hang it yourself.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I would probably dismantle the paneling and install drywall to the studs, assuming your room is built with studs in the standard fashion.

Templeton

Oct 9, 1999
Hang drywall yourself but hire a spackler to do all the spackle work, spackling is an art that's pretty difficult to master/a major pita.

arcas

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
Definately take the panelling down and hang sheetrock. Painting the panelling will look like ass.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
I personally would hang the sheetrock. If you really are handy, then hang it yourself, but if you doubt your sheetrock abilities in anyway, seek professional help. Also, let a professional do all the spackling.

y2kc

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2000
if you hang sheetrock as well as you create polls i'd suggest paying to get it done :D

Crazymofo

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
I will never in my life hang sheetrock myself ever again so if your poll wasnt broke I would vote for pay to have it hung!

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
Hang the damn sheet rock yourself. Don't be a wuss...your not going to hurt the sheetrock.

Now the taping, mudding and sanding you CAN screw up so find someone with experience to help.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: arcas
Definately take the panelling down and hang sheetrock. Painting the panelling will look like ass.

Nonsense. The paneling will look good - if painted properly. However, the surface has to be properly prepared. Ensure that you use a good primer to "seal" the paneling before painting it - otherwise, the oils, etc. will "bleed" out through the new paint. Zinsser or Kilz are some good primers to treat the paneling with. I would do two coats of primer, if you decide to go this route. Also, you might want to wash the paneling good with soapy water to pull out any extra oils about a week before you prime/paint the surface.

Best of luck! :)

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Am I missing another topic, that explains what's going on here?

If you mean that you have 1/4" paneling in 4'x8' sheets hung in the living room, tear that sh|t down! As Raymond said, just patch the drywall underneath when you're done.

If you have pine paneling, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to get rid of it. You can decorate the room to match that.

y2kc

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2000
Originally posted by: arcas

he's right BTW.

jsbush

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2000
I'd go with the sheetrock.

Do it your self if your good at making the joints. Its not really hard to do. Just really messy.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i would take down the paneling install sheetrock and then put the paneling back up.