Poll: Is Trump and his new Postmaster General sabotaging the Postal Service to effect the upcoming election?

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Is Trump and his new Postmaster General sabotaging the Postal Service

• Total voters

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
He can make them reinstate overtime back, but he can't make them put back the sorting machines, they have literately been scrapped.

My understanding is that the worst of the delays was caused by the prohibition on overtime, requirements for trucks to meet schedule, and the limiting of extra trips.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
My understanding is that the worst of the delays was caused by the prohibition on overtime, requirements for trucks to meet schedule, and the limiting of extra trips.
DeJoy had 711 sorting machines removed. A sorting machine can sort up to 55,000 #10 envelopes per hour. That is the loss in capacity of 39 million pieces of mail per hour.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Robert Mercer financed organization plans to dispatch “peaceful protesters” to vote counting centers to make sure they count the votes properly.

Hopefully most if not all states have laws barring them from entering the polling place. My state does.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
DeJoy had 711 sorting machines removed. A sorting machine can sort up to 55,000 #10 envelopes per hour. That is the loss in capacity of 39 million pieces of mail per hour.

I'm not defending the action however the volume of this type of mail has fallen dramatically over the years suggesting excess machine sorting capacity. It is unclear to me why the machines would be removed in that case anyway since mothballing them for future needs would seem more prudent. More investigation is needed of those decisions. Though DeJoy may not be around much longer if 1) Trump looses or 2) he gets indicted for campaign finance fraud in NC.

The volume of mail ballots compared to USPS processing capacity is still pretty low. The timely delivery of ballots and their return seem more closely linked to the logistical changes forced upon the company that are now being withdrawn.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I'm not defending the action however the volume of this type of mail has fallen dramatically over the years suggesting excess machine sorting capacity. It is unclear to me why the machines would be removed in that case anyway since mothballing them for future needs would seem more prudent. More investigation is needed of those decisions. Though DeJoy may not be around much longer if 1) Trump looses or 2) he gets indicted for campaign finance fraud in NC.

The volume of mail ballots compared to USPS processing capacity is still pretty low. The timely delivery of ballots and their return seem more closely linked to the logistical changes forced upon the company that are now being withdrawn.
First class mail volume probably has gone down. I receive all my bills electronically, and pay bills electronically via my CU's billpay. If anything the standard postage stuff seems to have gone up, even without the political crap, I get an average of 3 pieces a day. They are currently delivering 470 million pieces of mail per day, of which 182 million are first class mail.

However the USPS was installing new machines, as one of the machines scrapped had never been used as it was still in the assembly and testing phase.

AND THEY FUCKING KNEW THE ELECTION WAS COMING DURING A PANDEMIC.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Back in the 80's I installed and maintained high speed check sorters in banks, and in the Federal Reserve. They have many similarities with mail sorting machines. They are electro-machanical monsters. They take days to setup, test, debug, and then ongoing maintenance. From the pictures I have seen where they were ripped apart, cables cut, etc., they are nothing but scrap.

I did make a lot of overtime during that time ...

Reactions: cytg111