Poll: Is it important to you that the US finds Iraqi WMD?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Not really, because I actually am happy now that the Iraqi people can live under a less repressive regime and are free to criticize things without fear of a family member being executed.

I would like for them to find them to shut the mouths of those screaming liberals, other than that I do not care.

Did you read about or see the news footage of the latest US action in Iraq? At night they enter people's homes in full battle gear with flashlights attached to their weapons glaring aiming at civilians. I saw footage of women and children being terrified by these home invasions.

Less repressive regime? Free to criticize without fear without being executed?

We are still adding to the body count in Iraq.

"Shut the mouths of screaming liberals" - you sound like some Chinese government official making a declaration. :D

yellowperil

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2000
It is important to me that the US finds WMDs because otherwise IMO the war was purely an offensive attack and not defensive. I never bought into the whole 'regime change' argument. While it may alleviate some people's concerns about the war by providing a rationale ex post facto, it just doesn't make sense. Given the heightened tensions of terrorism before the war and the Muslim population of Iraq, why would the US start a war there out of humanitarian concern? Not only would you stir up a hornet's nest of possible new al-Qaida groups, endangering the lives of Americans and raising the costs of national security, but you also risk lives of U.S. military and spend billions of dollars - and all because you are concerned about the plight of the Iraqi people? Doesn't sound like conventional foreign policy to me, especially with GWB. How many despots have we dealt with in the past in South America, Africa, and Southeast Asia who have murdered millions of their own people, and we only learned about after the fact and did nothing to stop them? That's why WMD is the stronger motive, because it actually makes sense to make all those sacrifices and go to war if there is an imminent threat of a massive attack.

Some people are quick to dismiss a 3rd possible motive (oil), but after one incident I'm not so sure. After the U.S. declared the war was over in Iraq, Syria began to block access its oil pipelines coming from Iraq (to reach the Mediterranean Sea). This was reported only briefly in the news, and not on any of the major networks. The next day GWB began to hint that Syria was harboring terrorists and carrying WMDs, and the administration began to hint at a war against Syria (which it later back down from). There was nothing reported to connect the two events together, so of course it might be coincidental. But if the US doesn't find the WMDs then I'm much more inclined to believe 'oil' than 'regime change'.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Not really, because I actually am happy now that the Iraqi people can live under a less repressive regime and are free to criticize things without fear of a family member being executed.

I would like for them to find them to shut the mouths of those screaming liberals, other than that I do not care.

Yes, we know you don't care. You've stated that before. But the real question is, at least I think it's more important than whether or not you care if we find WMD, is whether or not you care if we (the American and world population) were intentionally misled in order to give our support to this war.

DaFinn

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
I thought that was the justification for the war... SO HELL YES IT'S IMPORTANT!!!

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Alistar7
Originally posted by: Dr Smooth
I was hoping to hear from people who supported the war because of what GWB said about Iraq's WMD.

could you even believe he said those things??? Who would ever think Iraq had WMD? The next thing you will tell me is there was this whole international effort to inspect his weapons systems to make sure he did not have any. That the rest of the world knew all along, it's just as crazy as those silly drawings powell had showing mobile bio labs.....

hag, of course you don't believe Bush. but you know what, that intelligence came from the UN, from Saddam, from all over the world, all you are saying is you don't believe the known facts and reality, is that part of the

canadian inferiority complex?[/q

??