POLL: In your opinion, do you think the world is overpopulated? Why?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I happen to think that at this time it is. Sure some will argue that we can accomplish extreme densities per square mile, however, do you want live like that? Keep in mind that this results in an unaffordable cost of living, constrained resources, additional pollution... Yes, newer technology helps to alleviate these problems, somewhat. But why bother?

Not to mention the more people there are the lower the overall IQ, morality, etc. And the chances increase for mass mayhem. Its not hard to remember some past examples of this. And yes, you do see more wierdos than ever before! :)

America has now surpassed 300,000,000 people. How long before 400 million? This is getting way out of hand! Can anything be done? :confused:

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
Originally posted by: FelixDeKat
I happen to think that at this time it is. Sure some will argue that we can accomplish extreme densities per square mile, however, do you want live like that? Keep in mind that this results in an unaffordable cost of living, constrained resources, additional pollution... Yes, newer technology helps to alleviate these problems, somewhat. But why bother?

Not to mention the more people there are the lower the overall IQ, morality, etc. And the chances increase for mass mayhem. Its not hard to remember some past examples of this. And yes, you do see more wierdos out there than ever! :)

America has now surpassed 300,000,000 people. How long before 400 million? This is getting way out of hand! Can anything be done? :confused:

how many ppl do u see around you?
why is 400 mil way out of hand? :confused:

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
[/quote] how many ppl do u see around you?
why is 400 mil way out of hand? :confused:[/quote]

I like to attend events. Some are now unbearably overcrowded.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Only in India and possibly China. 300,000,000 isn't that much considering how large the United States is.

imported_goku

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2004
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
Only in India and possibly China. 300,000,000 isn't that much considering how large the United States is.

WTF? China's got a billion people, of course they're over populated...

atybimf

Platinum Member
Sep 17, 2005

[/quote]

Thank goodness you have a great reason! I was worried you'd say something ridiculous like world hunger or disease!

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Parts of it yes, others of it no.

Replace what you use - it takes two people to procreate a child. Replace you and your spouce with two kids in your places.

I like keeping population growth at zero. Some people(and more importantly, countries) haven't figured this out yet.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Originally posted by: goku

WTF? China's got a billion people, of course they're over populated...

Yeah, but China is huge. Isn't India the size of Texas?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Perhaps, but we are growing too much too soon. In the aforementioned contries, they dont enjoy the quality of life on average that we do. And with their respective populations, they probably never will. Although China is hungering for more and more steal and OIL as their economy expands rapidly, raising the overall cost for these items world wide.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Parts of it yes, others of it no.

Replace what you use - it takes two people to procreate a child. Replace you and your spouce with two kids in your places.

I like keeping population growth at zero. Some people(and more importantly, countries) haven't figured this out yet.

Yes, how can they not see the ultimate wisdom of vi_edit? :roll:

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: atybimf
why is 400 mil way out of hand? :confused:

[/quote]

Thank goodness you have a great reason! I was worried you'd say something ridiculous like world hunger or disease![/quote]

I could have, and they may one day be the answer to overpopulation. It ususally is. I was just trying to relate more to my overall microcerns.

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005

[/quote]

don't be jealous because you are not a VIP.

RCN

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2005
It will be very soon. There is plenty of space just not enough resources.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
no, not even remotely close
you city people are silly

go drive through the miles of open country in the heartland
there are millions of square miles of open space in america

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004

Perhaps, but we are growing too much too soon.

I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that the constant flow of illegal immigrants across the border has something to do with it. Hasn't it been estimated that around five million have already crossed?

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005

Not to mention the more people there are the lower the overall IQ, morality, etc. And the chances increase for mass mayhem. Its not hard to remember some past examples of this. And yes, you do see more wierdos than ever before! :)

It all depends on your perspective. British people thought their cities were all overpopulated in the 1600s when in fact they had fairly small populations relative to today's standards.

Have you ever gone driving through the midwest and southwest states? You can go for hours in some spots without encountering a single town. Let me guess that you're from the East Coast and have a different representation of population densities than those of us in the southwest. Some parts of America are more densely populated than others.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: FoBoT

Exactly, this country has VAST areas where there is not a single soul for miles. The United States is far from being overpopulated. If you don't like living in crowded areas, try moving somewhere less crowded?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

I would like to keep it that way. :)

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999

Yes, but how much of that is land currently producing food? How much of that land has an adequate water supply if it was converted to cities? Open space in America is easy to come by, the resources to covert it and maintain it as a higher density population center are not. We'll run out of things like easily treatable water long before we run out of literal space.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

Nah. They'd rather flock by the millions around essentially resourceless desert areas like Phoenix and Las Vegas. Yeh the weather is nicer, but at least I could actually survive a season in the midwest without having to import most things to me.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
the US can support a couple billion people easily (if the economy is grown to support it)

If so, it probably wouldnt be in a way that anyone would really enjoy. The sardine lifestyle is not really my cup of tea.

Not that I think that things really matter a whole lot. I drove from PA to DFW and to AZ and back doing about 6,000 miles altogether. Practically no matter where you went it was all the same - Mcdonalds, Wal-Mart and Mcmansions everywhere. Instatowns - blah.