POLL: huey lewis and the news

Shortcut

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2003
seems like there's no middle ground for this group - either folks love em or hate em. how do you feel about em, and why?

I like 'em - they have some good hits, but they did make a lot of forgettable songs, too.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
They rock, and they've had a lot more good songs than bad. Plus they're still touring, you can't argue with longevity.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
I remember when they first came out...

they were all the rage and all the girls had a huge crush on the lead singer... Huey Lewis...

Their music was great then.. considering what else was coming out. And I still hum or tap a foot to some of their stuff when i hear it.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
mostly cr@p cept for the american psycho song. and the dudes against the movie to boot gofiigure

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
I just saw them live in concert and met them backstage courtesy of a supplier who invited us to a private party. I enjoy their big songs but overall pretty indifferent. It was kind of a waste to have the passes given to me since they peaked when I was too young to be into music and I don't really have much appreciation for them.

Edit: by the way, Huey's getting up there in age but he's got more energy than most 20-year olds I know.

StevenYoo

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2001
:music: don't need money!
don't need fame!
don't need no credit card to ride this train!:music:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Heh... I remember listening to the Sports album a number of times (on real vinyl, even :))

MisterCornell

Banned
Dec 30, 2004
I want a new drug
One that won't make me sick
One that won't make me crash my car
Or make me feel three feet thick

I want a new drug
One that won't hurt my head
One that won't make my mouth too dry
Or make my eyes too red

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
Patrick Bateman: Do you like Huey Lewis and the news?
Paul Allen: They're OK.
Patrick Bateman: Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83,I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consimante professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.
Paul Allen: Hey Halberstram.
Patrick Bateman: Yes, Allen?
Paul Allen: Why are their copies of the style section all over the place, d-do you have a dog? A little chow or something?
Patrick Bateman: No, Allen.
Paul Allen: Is that a rain coat?
Patrick Bateman: Yes it is! In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.
[raises axe above head]
Patrick Bateman: Hey Paul!
[he bashes Allen in the head with the axe, and blood splatters over him]
Patrick Bateman: TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU F*CKING STUPID BASTARD! YOU, F*CKING BASTARD!
wonder why huey didnt like the premise... :confused: