POLL: How many of you think of yourself as "average" or associated yourself with the term "general public"?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4644
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4644

POLL: How many of you think of yourself as "average" or associated yourself with the term "general public"?

If you think you are not part of the general public, why not? Or, what characteristics does a person need to be something other than general public?

How about average? Is that the same thing? Or is the connotation different?

Wuffsunie

Platinum Member
May 4, 2002
I deplore the general public and try and make an effort not to be associated with that group and their activities and beliefs. Not because of an elitist attitude, but because I can't stand the homognization and real loss of identity that comes with being part of the mob.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
I am too educated, well read, and I earn too much money to be considered average in the US.

I do not consider myself above average but I am not average.

D

Deleted member 4644

Please explain why you don't feel like you are part of the general public as Dr. Smooth has done.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
As a whole the general public has been rather unaccepting of me for my life so I wouldn't consider myself to be part of it.

D

Deleted member 4644

Originally posted by: Soybomb
As a whole the general public has been rather unaccepting of me for my life so I wouldn't consider myself to be part of it.

Explain further please?

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Originally posted by: LordSegan
Originally posted by: Soybomb

Explain further please?
I don't know how much further it needs to be explained. Growing up I got teased for nearly every possible reason, smart, geeky, kinda' poor for a while, not liking sports or other generally socially expected activities, someone decided to start a rumor i was gay, fat, etc. The list goes on. Today I just consider myself to have a somewhat different outlook on life than most people and don't match up with many of the societal norms. As a society we tend to encourage people to fit into certain roles and behaviors. I don't really think I do that.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
I don't think of myself as part of the general public. My experiences and education put me above the common rabble. :D

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: SackOfAllTrades
You're all general public, whether you know it or not, whether you want to admit it or not.

Unless you use quantitative criteria, the term "general public" really does not mean anything.

D

Deleted member 4644

Originally posted by: Dr Smooth
You're all general public, whether you know it or not, whether you want to admit it or not.

Unless you use quantitative criteria, the term "general public" really does not mean anything.

Qualitative criteria could be used as well.

SackOfAllTrades

Diamond Member
May 7, 2000

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel "special" :)

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999

What?

D

Deleted member 4644

How would you define it sack?

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999

The point of my earlier post is statistically I am not average. but I do not consider myself superior or above anyone else. And that you need to define what you talking about for it to mean anything.

I do not need to feel special do you?