Poll: How many novels do you read per year?

Shalmanese

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Just read somewhere that 99% of americans read less that 1 novel per year and I personally thing that is pathetic!

Just finding out if the people on this forum are more literate than the unenlightened masses :)

I try to average 1 novel per week during term time and usually finsih about 10 novels per holiday so that adds up to about 80 per year. Under ideal circumstances I can read about 100 pages per hour(1st 4 volumes of hitchikers which is 500 pages was finished in 5hrs 3mins) and have read all three volumes of lord of the rings during a school week so I read much faster than all of my friends but even that is no excuse for reading less that 1 novel per year.

BTW: a "novel" may be fiction or non-fiction but has to be read voluntarily and no sissy ass 150pg novellas either, full length novels only.

KarsinTheHutt

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2000
Between 5 and 10. Sometimes I dont' get to read much when I've got a lot of schoolwork, but once I find a book I like, i won't put it down for hours... or days. I'll eat a 500+ page novel in 2 days usually.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
i read text books for fun. i read ahead and stuff and get excited about when well discuss it in class and bug all my friends by talking about things like external fertilization and why im afraid of hydrofluric acid when im drunk.
im a fast reader too.

*kat. <-- just prooved her nerdiness

Bluga

Banned
Nov 28, 2000

I don't read novels anymore but read about 2 computer books per month. (besides 5 textbooks)

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
A year? Probably a couple of hundred. I do reread a lot of books though, but I am a frequent customer of the library and used bookstore.

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
I probably only read 10 or less books a year. It's hard for me to find time to sit down and relax with a good book. But when I do, I usually read 200+ pages at a time.

SuperGroove

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
bah...that 99% figure has got to be messed up. I'm one of the most, if not THE MOST, idiotic person you could possibly have the pleasure(displeasure) or meeting. I've read more than 1 novel, even if it's not required, in a year. I'd like to think of Tom Clancy's books as two though...damn they're long:(

Paul

me4get

May 24, 2000
I average Around 250 Novels a year, not counting the 300-400 pages i read off the web each day.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Far fewer than I would like. I used to read a lot more, but after my first year of college I pretty much quit. Got to busy, I guess. I bought &amp; read Hannibal two days ago, though. Was nice to read something again.

If I had to guess, I'd say I've read around 10 in the last year. I read all the Grisham, Crichton, &amp; Clancy books when they come out, plus I re-read Patriot Games every so often when I'm bored.

As for reading speed, I read quite fast. But I usually don't do it for long periods of time. For example, if I'm reading a Clancy book I'd probably read it in three sittings of an hour or two each.

Viper GTS

weinir

Jan 1, 2001
that depends...are you asking about ones we read out of our own free will or ones we're forced to read or we're gonna fail english? cause if its ones at will...i'd say i read about oh...6-7 books a year. i'd read more, but everytime i find a book i like, i finish it within a couple days and dont want to spend more on a new one.(libary sucks...i've read all the books that i'd like already) counting those i read for school...total rouds up around 13.

we got 2 giant bookcases filled with various books, but most are a tad above high school level so i'm leaving them till later...and the rest i've read. sad thing is...all of our neighbors down own one booshelf...let alone 2 giant 6-7 shelf bookcases.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I read what's required for school. Usually around 30-40 novels, then I sometimes read over the summer. :)

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
Much less than I used to. I read more magazines though so it kind of makes up for it.