Poll: How long before the bailout puts Charmin out of business

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
I used to say that nothing shocks me any more from this administration. But the plan to have the taxpayers take on all the bad loans is too ridiculous even for them!

Here is how this will play out:

Joe TrailerPark sees a for sale sign on a hi-rise tower, and says man, that would rock to have 30 floors to myself! Hmm, they are asking for $2 billion, maybe I can get a loan?

He heads to the local bank and asks for a $2 billion mortgage. Normally the bank would ask for some kind of collateral - he surely shouldn't qualify for the loan with his $15K income, but now, no worries! If he doesn't make the payments, they can just give the "illiquid" mortgage to Uncle Sam!

"Hyperinflation" doesn't begin to describe what is going to happen to prices when anyone can get whatever loan they ask for.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Sure, dollars may be cheaper, however throwing money at it isn't the best way to get this shit cleaned up.

The reality of the situation isn't much different from that mental image.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
It's just $700 billion and raising our debt ceiling from $10.6 to $11.3 trillion.

No biggie.

Damn, what we need is a President who is going to spend more!

All kidding aside, what we need is a President who is going to introduce a balance budget amendment and begin paying off the federal debt.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
The dollar isn't made out of paper...it's predominantly made out of cloth (cotton and silk)
It currently costs less than 4cents to make an American one dollar bill. So you need a significant decline to get to those levels.

If people are concerned about the value of their money, they can consider buying other currencies or hedge with gold investments. I would recommend everyone should have ~5% gold as an investment (not much more than that though). Gold is a hard asset where reserves are well known.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
The whole premise of this thread is flawed, Charmin is intelligently engineered paper specially designed to wipe up shit off assholes, dollars bills cannot preform that in any efficient manner, and hence dollar bills could become worthless. But as long as the grass is green, the sky is blue, and there are assholes, the future of Charmin is bright.