Poll: How do you pronounce "char"

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
char, as in charred flesh, or a planet from Starcraft for the nerds among us. :)
car, as in vroom
chair, as in what your ass is probably sitting on right now
care, as in caring

<-------- char FTW!

Snapster

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
Seriously, if someone who could program for sh1t pronounced it like chair in front of me I would probably just laugh at them.
:confused:

g8wayrebel

Nov 15, 2004
Chared flesh?? If by that you mean somewhat burnt , I'd have thought it had to r's = charred.
The spell checker agrees with me and then pronunciation isn't an issue.

troytime

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006
i can't recall how i pronounce 'char', i dont remember actually talking about it

i alternate with varchar "vair chair" and "varrr charrrr" (without the pirate accent)

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Every place I've ever worked, and heard, probably 3 dozen people. All except one would call it "char"... Char[6]... Except one person that would say "Varcar[6]" (he was talking SQL)

clarkey01

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2004
CHAR as the in the planet that Galvatron and the decepticons were trapped on in the transformers !!!!!!!!

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
"Char", as in how I would normally pronounce a world spelled c-h-a-r. ;)

Of course it's pretty rare that I deal with single byte values that are actually characters anyways, so in the interest of accuracy, I tend to most often pronounce it "uint8".

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
Char, like the Starcraft planet.

I've known a lot of people who say "car" though. (Generally SQL-y people; is this what they teach in DBA classes?)

Thyme

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2000
Originally posted by: troytime
i can't recall how i pronounce 'char', i dont remember actually talking about it

i alternate with varchar "vair chair" and "varrr charrrr" (without the pirate accent)

I'd love to work somewhere where they did refer to it using a pirate accent.