POLL: Help me choose a light/portable laptop!

WayneTeK

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2002
Ok, i need to choose a gift for my sister, asap. I would appreciate it, if i could get some honest feedback of which i should pick. I narrowed it down. The main focus on this topic is PORTABILITY.. something light and something a college student can carry around.

ASUS W5A --> This is a great laptop cause it's everything out of the ordinary. Nothing bland here. battery life is also decent.

$1600
1.7ghz
512mb ram
12.1 WXGA screen
40gig HD 4200rpm
1.3 megapixel built in camera
4lbs
notebook bag included

Thinkpad Z60T --> This is a great laptop as well, however, if i choose this, it's going to be a 1.4ghz CELERON. Imo, it's a nicely built laptop, battery life is great, and cooling is not an issue cause it stays very mild most of the time. However, it's not something a sister would like cause it ain't pretty.

$1,100
1.4ghz Celeron
14.1 WXGA screen
512 mb
40 gig HD
4.5lbs
fingerprint scanner for security

What i really do enjoy about the thinkpad is that it's reliable.

INSPIRON 700M --> This is another contender that ranks into what my sis wants. However, the issue is that it is fundamentally a DELL at heart. Dell is nothing great and their products always turn sour on me after a year or so.

However, at the price they are willing to sell their laptop and what it's loaded with, it's hard to pass up.

$1,100
1.8ghz
40gig HD 5200rpm
8x DVD BURNER (Others don't include this)
an additional battery (8 cell)
512mb RAM

I know the inspiron has poor battery management, but to make up for it, if you include another battery, i guess it evens out.

Personally, i dont' like the INSPIRON 700m. IT feels very cheap and it leaves a bad impression on my fingers after i held it, sort of like touching a dirty dog.

Anyways, feedback is appreciated.

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
IBM all the fvcking way. The warranty and service is amazing, and by far your sister will probably break it in 3 years time (we all do :))

Z60t isn't bad, but look into getting a PM processor. It's worth the extra.

Wuzup101

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2002
12" Powerbook
1.5Ghz G4
512mb ram
80gb 5400rpm hdd
8x DVD writer (superdrive)

$1400 from the apple store for education

If she's not too computer savy, or in reality even if she is, the mac OS is perfect - especially for a college student. No worries about viruses and the like on a college network is a major pluss.

pmark

Oct 11, 1999
So did you decide on which laptop to get? I'm also debating between the Dell and the Thinkpad.

Ayah

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
Originally posted by: simms
IBM all the fvcking way. The warranty and service is amazing, and by far your sister will probably break it in 3 years time (we all do :))

Z60t isn't bad, but look into getting a PM processor. It's worth the extra.

I like the IBM, but it's really shabby with the celery in there... My vote moves to the Dell if she's a little careful with the lappy.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The newer Dells are very cheaply made & even though the specs on the 700m look very nice, they don't do you a bit of good when the laptop is broken... on the upside it does have a decent warranty & despite rumors to the contrary, Dell tech support is ok.

Asus makes great mb's & such, but I'd hate to have to count on them for tech support on a notebook, plus the features it has (ie: Camera) strike me as the kind of stuff that will be used for awhile when its first purchased then ignored.

This leaves the IBM & thus thats what I suggest you go with... they are very durable, have great tech support & warrantyplus it sounds like the kind of machine she'll like more & more the longer she owns it, even if she doesn't think its cute when she first sees it... just do yourself a favor & spring for the cheapest Pentium M instead of the lousy Celeron.

slyedog

Jan 12, 2001
the best buy today are used one year old IBM'S. you can buy then at abt 60% of the original price. you still have two years of warranty left and you can upgrade the warranty for another two years for 220.00. so for less than the original price you have a laptop with a four year warranty. besides being very stable and cool running, they are light and slim. even though dull looking, they get my job done