Poll:Have you or anyone you've known damaged an AMD CPU's core while attaching the heatsink?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: stardust
sooo shims are useless? not worth the $8 investment?
Sometimes they're worse than useless, by being slightly thicker than the CPU core and preventing adequate contact between the heatsink and core. The only exception I would approve of is the Shuttle heatpipe arrangement, which uses a shim to keep that lopsided heatpipe assembly from getting out of hand.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
I have installed literally hundreds of CPU's.....I have cracked only one simply because the heatsink was a piece of crap that didn't want to go on or come off. CPU still worked, but one corner was damaged. I also received a couple of refurb cpu's from Newegg that were cracked too.......

Dufrane

May 7, 2002
I have installed heatsinks on athlons maybe 7 times and have yet to crack a core, which suprises me.

Peter D

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2002
i have yet to crack/crush one still, and ive installed a good amount of cpu's, and during that time, i did use a Thermaltake HSF as well..

Sideswipe001

Golden Member
May 23, 2003
I've destroyed more motherboards while trying to install the HS/F then CPUs. Twice, the screwdriver has slipped off while I was trying to press down to hook the HS onto the socket, and taken a piece of the motherboard with it.

I really hate how hard they make it to hook those stupid heatsinks on.

Shimmishim

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
Seems to me you'd have to be one big moron to chip a core.

guess i'm one big moron cuz i've chipped a core

:(

not that this is an excuse, but i hadn't realized that something had started building up underneath my waterblock right at the location of the corner of the core and when i placed my block back on i heard this crunching noise and new that my chip had core...

removed block and saw corners chipped...

at this point, i proceeded over to my nearest hardware store and picked up some sandpaper and smoothed out the bottom again and didn't have a problem after that....

anyway... good thing this moron is done with amd processors....

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: lchyi
Originally posted by: Dustswirl
mozarella

Pepper Jack pwnz mozarella!
It's mozzerella or mozzarella, but 2 Z's! and you call yourself cheese lovers?!?
rolleye.gif
:p

Outlawv6

May 10, 2003
I've done about 10 or so and so far I've been lucky enough to not hurt the chip. One thing to note about the shuttle is that I couldn't get the heatpipe thingy to sit on the processor correctly with the shim on, so off it went. Works alright for my friend, even on the car ride back to his house, which is impressive considering how he drives...

Cheese rocks!

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
So far quite a few people around here have chipped or known someone who chipped a core, and I doubt they were all n00bs so a pattern is definitely emerging......Behold! the power of cheese! here's some :wine: to go with it :)