*** POLL - Has Crysis lived up to the hype? ***

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ArmchairAthlete

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2002
I played through the demo when my roomie's friend came over with his better rig that had the demo installed.

It ran it fairly well at high-ish settings. It was pretty. But pretty boring too. Just felt like "been there, done that". I almost didn't feel like finishing the short demo.

One thing that was annoying was shooting away at an enemy directly in my crosshairs but the stupid guy just won't die. Wtf? I even try firing in bursts and they don't go down like they should.

EDIT: Oh, and as others have mentioned, the way you suddenly see additional objects appear on the screen (such as rocks) as you get close to them looks very bad.

Sandan

Oct 9, 1999
Doesn't do it for me. Too much like Far Cry. Also, it doesn't look as good because my card (Radeon x850) needs set to low quality. Can't afford a quality dx10 card at this time.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
So many disenchanted gamers, perhaps it is time to take up a different hobby that can occupy that time slot? Speaking for myself, I can never get enough of the good stuff, and shoot 'em up, bust 'em up, blow 'em up, is the good stuff. :) All these cries for originality, fresh game play, new plotlines, ect. I would welcome them as well, but I'm not complaining about them going to the well too often though.

When a game takes my favorite elements from shooters and puts them together, I'm stoked. I just keep my expectations simple, my suspension of disbelief handy, and my cynical critic side in check, and it is amazing how many hours of fun it results in. But hey, if you want to bag on every game that has garnered any sort of "hype" as overrated, meh, uninspired, ect. then I certainly hope you enjoy doing it, because reading posts, you damned sure aren't enjoying gaming, you poor bastages. Or is it just that same old story about the rebel without a clue type, that must hate on anything popular? Not that I care, I'm just sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
Originally posted by: sirjonk
Well we've only played the demo so there may be some goodies later on that will blow me away, but right now it's like FC2 with superb graphics. I still really liked the demo. I couldn't disagree more that the suit is "mildly useful" Speed, invisibility, strength are terrific ways to vary up the gameplay, and that you have only a couple seconds of each tempers it from becoming too godlike. The manner they implemented it with the mouse gesture is simplistic and genius. The pre-release vids seemed intimidating. Modding the guns isn't something to do on the run, but when would you really have time to in the middle of a firefight? AI wasn't that impressive. Vehicles run a bit slower than they should I think. The game runs great on my system at 16x12 (C2d, 8800gts640). I thought there'd be no way I could run it on High but it's very smooth. I'm impressed.

Problem is...you can go through the WHOLE demo without using anything but max armor and strength (to jump in the spots it forces you to). You never really need or have use for the cloak or the speed ever.

It's a gimmick.

If the game forces you to use those, then it's not really about having a choice of how to beat a level.
I've replayed the demo a few times and gone through it as a stealthy close range assassin, a rambo jumping off roofs, a sniper, speedy gonzales, and an aqua marine (you can go really far just swimming).

Btw, anyone remember the cg cartoon Max Steel? The suit in this game reminds me of it, whenever Max Steel used to activate something it would say things like "Max Armor", "Max Invisibility", "Max Speed." He also fought in similar environments to Crysis, though he never used a gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q91_Nnyt6Yo
Check it out.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Sandan
Doesn't do it for me. Too much like Far Cry. Also, it doesn't look as good because my card (Radeon x850) needs set to low quality. Can't afford a quality dx10 card at this time.

i have an X850 and run 1280x1024 with everything at medium and it's playable :)

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
I voted "yes", it has lived up to the hype. I'm fairly picky about the FPS I get into but, this one did not disappoint. For one thing, the game is playable and looks reasonably good on my one year old system. (core2duo @ 2.8GHz, 7950GT, 2GB RAM, WinXP 32bit)

I'm able to play comfortably at 1680x1050 with most settings on high except for Post Processing, Shaders and Shadows on low.

I'm also impressed by the physics. Every object I've encountered so far is movable. From the bananas and cups and plates in the cabins to the walls of the buildings themselves. I've never been able to drive a vehicle through buildings before in a game like this. Also, the vegetation moves as you move.

I think that the AI is pretty good at higher difficulties. I have noticed them move around and try to outflank me if I sit in one spot too long. They also run for cover instead of running straight at you.

The suit capabilities also add to the complexity of the game. I've played through it without taking advantage of the suit powers. I've also used the strength ability to jump/climb up steep ledges and surprise the enemy from behind. The game is fairly wide open too. You can hop into a gun boat and bypass many of the land defenses, use a humvee to trample people or just stalk through the jungle.

After recently playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and COD2 this game is like a breath of fresh air. I only hope that the rumor I heard about it only being 10 levels long is not true. :(

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
It seems to be a very solid game to me but I just hope that the full single-player campaign isn't as short as we hear, and also that it doesn't end up disappointing us all.

VERTIGGO

Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Spartan Niner
It'll be awesome killing soldiers in a jungle... and then overpowered aliens/mutants will ruin it. Exactly like Far Cry...

Try out the Tac-launcher before you mention OP anything;)

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
For me yes, I was having a blast running through the jungle invisible with my shotgun. Literally destroying their camps. Picking them out one by one. I'm sold on this game.

Burpy

Oct 16, 2005
I think it lived up to the hype. The funny thing is that I was not all that interested in the game and didn't get caught up in the hype itself. I played the demo and enjoyed it, which surprised me because I thought it would be a FarCry clone with fancy graphics. While it does have a strong FarCry feel, it did enough to convince me to pick it up once it goes retail.

The only thing that sucks is the heavy price you have to pay for decent graphics and performance. I plan on upgrading my GFX card in the hopes I get 30+ FPS. :D

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: jdoggg12
I think the gameplay is average to above average, by comparison to all FPS games. If you could take the graphics of Crysis with the gameplay feel of HL2 *OR* RainbowSix3 it would be a perfect game IMO. I'm a fan of realistic damage, which is why i'd suggest rainbow-like play/damage. You shouldn't need to hit a guy 8 times with a .45 just to drop him...

Also, from long distances your bullets do no damage. I shot a guy with a full clip in single fire mode (I saw him to the "ouch" animation every shot) and he didn't go down.

To me... this is the aspect that I hated about Far Cry but it took all of about 2 weeks for someone to mod the ballistics to be realistic (1-2 hits to chest/torso equals out of commission).

So far, I am unhappy with the Crysis ballistics but someone will mod them fast.

VERTIGGO

Apr 29, 2005
yes, sub-sonic ammunitions, but still the damage needs some fixes I think. I hit a guy in the face 2 or 3 times before it killed him.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Six shots center mass and the north korean is barely phased, but hit him on the tip of the foot with something thrown with superstrength and he flies to the ground dead as a rock

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Having just bought my new system, I can honestly say it is by far the best SP and MP experience I've ever played, except for Operation Flashpoint.

FR71 + Incendiary bullets = 2 hit headshots on single shot. Least that narrows it down, a bit ;)

Sniping works too. I kinda wish they had the blurry vision when cloaked though, or perhaps when using a scope in stealth mode your energy decreases rapidly. But the ONE thing that RUINS this game is the damned rocket launchers... they are more accurate than any weapon, can be shot at ranges in the 1000s of KM... and do more splash damage than anything. The rockets are AT thats Armor Piercing Tank Rounds, not AP... Anti Personnel.

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
Originally posted by: jdoggg12
I think the gameplay is average to above average, by comparison to all FPS games. If you could take the graphics of Crysis with the gameplay feel of HL2 *OR* RainbowSix3 it would be a perfect game IMO. I'm a fan of realistic damage, which is why i'd suggest rainbow-like play/damage. You shouldn't need to hit a guy 8 times with a .45 just to drop him...

Also, from long distances your bullets do no damage. I shot a guy with a full clip in single fire mode (I saw him to the "ouch" animation every shot) and he didn't go down.

yeah, it sucks but I just shoot them with the darts and they go down every time

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
So many disenchanted gamers, perhaps it is time to take up a different hobby that can occupy that time slot? Speaking for myself, I can never get enough of the good stuff, and shoot 'em up, bust 'em up, blow 'em up, is the good stuff. :) All these cries for originality, fresh game play, new plotlines, ect. I would welcome them as well, but I'm not complaining about them going to the well too often though.

When a game takes my favorite elements from shooters and puts them together, I'm stoked. I just keep my expectations simple, my suspension of disbelief handy, and my cynical critic side in check, and it is amazing how many hours of fun it results in. But hey, if you want to bag on every game that has garnered any sort of "hype" as overrated, meh, uninspired, ect. then I certainly hope you enjoy doing it, because reading posts, you damned sure aren't enjoying gaming, you poor bastages. Or is it just that same old story about the rebel without a clue type, that must hate on anything popular? Not that I care, I'm just sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Truth. BioShock sucks, the ws FOV is fubar and I can't install it on 10 computers at once! Crysis blows, I can't get 60fps with my GTX, wtf! 2 Girls 1 Cup is weak, I saw stuff in college worse than that! Sigh.