*** POLL - Has Crysis lived up to the hype? ***

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I can't imagine it being any worse than STALKER when it first came out.

Yes, I went there. :p

"It's going to be a great game come Oct. 2006"...while a year passes and the crickets begin to cherp.

I'm at the point when I think if the developers get the game out in time or as they said they would, it's good enough. Valve and which ever drunk russian that made STALKER can kiss my ass for that one.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: AFG34
NOPE

UT3 pwns

:thumbsdown: UT3 is not very good at all, it's just the same old stuff.

KT

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
ah, didn't realize it didn't drain much when you didn't move...although wtf's the point in that?

It takes more energy to conceal you when you're moving... that's all there is to it. Although, did you notice that when you're cloaked, you still have a shadow? :p Cloaking should be based off of the ability to pass light through the body, because if light doesn't reflect off you, you aren't visible. Yet... how do we have a shadow if we shouldn't be blocking (reflecting) light?

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004
graphically...IF you can max it out, it lives up to the hype.

Gameplay-wise, meh.

Nothing special at all.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Aikouka
ah, didn't realize it didn't drain much when you didn't move...although wtf's the point in that?

It takes more energy to conceal you when you're moving... that's all there is to it. Although, did you notice that when you're cloaked, you still have a shadow? :p Cloaking should be based off of the ability to pass light through the body, because if light doesn't reflect off you, you aren't visible. Yet... how do we have a shadow if we shouldn't be blocking (reflecting) light?

i meant whats the point in only being invisible if you have to stand in one spot.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005

i meant whats the point in only being invisible if you have to stand in one spot.

Its pretty realistic... the rapid and accurate manipulation of light for total invisibility would be a very energy consuming feat, especially while moving. Besides, you can cover about 40 yards invisible anyway if you walk, but the cloak is best used to lure 1 or 2 guys to your location and take them by surprise. If extremely effective with the shotgun.

I prefer to keep the gun on single shot and just pick the guys off with a headshot. Mostly b/c since I only play with 1 hand, my usable buttons are limited and I can't use grenades.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
how do you play with one hand and why? That seems pretty impossible to do, at least effectively.

Sep 12, 2004

It's so you can hide in plain sight and with little cover. You can let the enemy walk right up to.

It seems to make sense to drain the invisibility power rapidly when you move. If not it would make you way too powerful. The game would be no contest.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
how do you play with one hand and why? That seems pretty impossible to do, at least effectively.

Lost the use of my left arm in a motorcycle crash. Shit happens, but I can play the hell out of my games with 1 hand now. :)

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Could be. I know that in the Crysis SP Demo\Bin32 folder there's a file named "atimgpud.dll." Possibly that's a file provided by ATI to enable crossfire but I could be mistaken. Maybe it's actually for something else?

Knowing crossfire doesn't work in the Demo doesn't mean that ATI might not have tried though, if you know what I mean? ;)

Here's some screenshots one of the members over at NVNEWS posted, claiming SLI was working:

Text

damn. and I thought it looked good on my system (Q6600 @ 3.2, 8800 GTS 640 @ 620/1900, 2 gigs ram, winxp)

As far as the game, I can say im very happy with the demo. I played the demo thru once in hard and once in very hard. Love sneaking round with cloak on and grabbing the guys from the back, strength throwing them into the air and shooting them mid air. Also love using speed mode while swimming, jump up on a speedboat and pwning the baddies on the boat. AI is pretty advanced, Id have to say. I was sneaking up on a guy commanding a mounted machine gun from the side. just as I was on top of him, my cloak ran out. He saw me and tried to turn the gun towards me. He couldnt as it was beyond the gun's range of motion. So he got off his post, backed up, and started shooting at me with his pistol.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
The whole aim of the nanosuit IMHO is to break up the monotony of the gameplay. Also, nothing apart from the armour (which is what it really is) lasts forever. So, you have to use your 'skills' how they are called for.

You have to approach this open-ended game, open-minded.

:thumbsup:

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
For what Crysis was meant to be... yes, to me, the demo has lived up to the hype.

How will it compare to GoW, UT3, HL:EP2, bioshock, etc. ... we'll just have to wait and see what people think. From what I have seen of some of the later levels, the demo really doesn't do the game justice.

But one problem it will have is that only uber rigs can run Crysis well, as we are finding out. Crysis will give quadcore 8800 GTX SLI rigs all they can handle and then some (my dev. friend's SLI system goes into slide show mode on "very-high" but the the visuals are amazing)... high end single GPU systems will be pulling 30 FPS in medium settings at moderate resolutions.

But I will say this... it sure is nice to have a game engine that completely ups the ante in terms of dynamics and visual realism.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Originally posted by: miniMUNCH

But I will say this... it sure is nice to have a game engine that completely ups the ante in terms of dynamics and visual realism.

Yes it is great. I hope this makes Nvidia and DAAMIT wake up and smell the CRYSIS that is facing their market. We need more powerful cards now.

At least Nvidia has somewhat stopped a gap with the 8800GT but we need the new high-end now.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: Rage187
yes, but it absolutely rapes my system and is unplayable at 1280x720 w/o AA and vsync turned off.

maybe just a tad to far ahead of its time

X2 3800
Vista
8800GTS 320MB
2gig 3200ram

Crytek likes to do that. Far Cry still looks good even after all these years and it raped systems when it was first released too.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
The one thing that I liked about Far Cry - much more than the awesome graphics - was the multiple ways to beat an area. Sometimes I wanted to be a Rambo bad-ass and fly through the place throwing grenades and getting shot at.. Sometimes I wanted to sneak up on the soldiers and knock them off one by one.. Sometimes I wanted everything dead from far away so there'd be very little to kill when I approached it..

I haven't played Crysis yet.. but I really hope Crysis preserved that ability. I liked Half Life 2... but I cannot stand being told what to do in every instance. I like a big ass map and a 'you figure it out' perspective.

I really miss the old concepts from Duke 3d (another thread about it earlier) that had stuff like trip mines, remote bombs, etc.. Those things were really just gimmicks with the Duke3d stupid AI.. but with Farcry AI (or Crysis), those items would be a thrill to use.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
Originally posted by: brxndxn

I haven't played Crysis yet.. but I really hope Crysis preserved that ability. I liked Half Life 2... but I cannot stand being told what to do in every instance. I like a big ass map and a 'you figure it out' perspective.

Its still pretty true... but its tweaked a bit. I think the ability to hide in the brush is a little too powerful this time around. On the other hand, the suit powers lets you do what you want to do in much greater variety.

I love that you can become invisible, kill a guy, then speed away like a bullet. Or you can throw a guy into his buddies or use him as a shield. You can use strength to negate recoil, which makes single shots with the rifles nearly sniper quality.

My favorite is to make a bunch of noise, speed off in to the brush, then use the close to walk up behind them. Use the shotgun to the face and watch as they flip over backwards :D

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
I find that the game offers a lot of fun and while the demo is familiar it alludes to something that reminds me of that movie Deep Rising. Remember the ending to that movie where they are on the island after the sea monster and next thing you know... trees are shaking and a loud noise.

Basically to me the game is immersive. I didn't care for Far Cry but this game has me captivated. I play through it nearly every day trying new stuff. Also, from what I understand the Demo is nowhere near optimized as the final game will be so we can't really judge the final game based off the demo. I will be disappointed if the final game runs like the demo. I would need to jump from my X1900GT to an 8800GT just to go from 1280x1024 on High no AA/AF to 1680x1050 on High no AA/AF on my 22" WD.

LightningRider

Feb 16, 2007
I really like Crysis personally. Graphics are great, though demand, and the gameplay is fun. The AI is pretty good too but very glitchy. I hope they can manage to patch that up and make it more stable.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
No, not really. Not visually, not gameplay wise. Visually, it loses way too much of it's appeal when it's in motion due to the crazy amount of pop in. Gameplay is reasonably fun, but it's absolutely nothing special, and the suit in many ways makes very little sense.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Wow! Even more impressed once I started to mess with the editor.

1) The editor is awesome... I can see this being the #1 modded engine if people really look into it. You can litterally create the game and test it as you go along... Incredable!

2) I was able to add some objects that were not in the demo... Woot! Helicopter is fun... The tank completely obliterates anything you point it at!

Check this out once for how awesome they did on the attention to detail. Shoot a barrel with oil in it about in the middle... It will leak out until it hits that point (half full) then shoot above, nothing leaks out and then shoot it below that point, it will drain further! So, that proves that they have logic in place for filling objects! Wicked cool!

The explotions are so incredable and realistic... I go to close to a vehicle, I tried to get away and the vehicle exploded and shot right at me and I died instantly... But before I did I almost ducked out of my chair! Ha! It felt so real.

Bout the only thing I didn't like the demo was that the Korean's take to many bullets to kill sometimes. I shot a few of them a good 3-4 times and they were still going after me. Oh well, only fair I suppose since I have the spiderman suit!

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I think that it has exactly lived up to the hype that I have seen in all aspects. It looks great even at low graphics settings (which was the primary "selling point" for the game). It is also mind-numbingly generic and boring in the actual game play department (which is exactly what I expected).

So, if you're a fan of FPS war games and you just want more eye candy with the same "go here and shoot something or blow something up" progression that exists in practically every FPS game in existence, then you'll probably like Crysis a lot. (The excellent graphics and environment ALMOST make me want to play the game more in spite of the boredom.)

If you want a unique game experience, don't waste your money on the game or on the hardware upgrades that you'll probably need in order to crank up the settings enough to see what Crysis should look like.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Some things that I've noticed after playing the demo about 15 times:

1. Enemies will sometimes jump or fall into the water. After swimming for five seconds they suddenly die. They do not attempt to go back to shore.
2. If you're shooting an enemy from a long distance away using the standard rifles (not snipers), it takes literally around 30 body shots to kill a single person. A single head shot from any distance kills.
3. Enemies don't react to certain parts of their body being hit.
4. Head shots from helmeted soldiers knock off their helmet. The enemy is neither phased nor goes to pick up their helmet. Shooting a helmet wearing soldier in the neck area still kills them in one shot though.
5. AI does not work as a team. They may approach you in a group, but this is a result of each enemy individually approaching you, rather than first forming a team and then approaching you.
6. AI view distance is very short compared to you. In an empty field with nothing between you and the enemy, you can see the enemy WAY before they register you in their sights.
7. Enemies stand around things that are clearly about to explode, and make no move to seek cover or gain distance away from the impending explosion.
8. The destroyable environment is limited to foliage, wildlife, certain building panels, and vehicles. Small miscellaneous objects can't be destroyed, only moved. Things like sandbags can't be moved.
9. You fall very very slowly in relation to other things. If you take the helicopter up and bail out of it, the helicopter plummets to the ground way way way before you hit. I wouldn't be surprised if your sprint speed mode was actually faster than your free fall. If you land in water, you'll survive with no problem (must be somewhat deep).
10. You can't shoot through non-destructible things, like a thin wall panel that hasn't been coded to be destructible.
11. The gun boats have incredibly unrealistic view distances, accuracy, and the ability to find you in foliage.
12. Enemy speech is tied to whether an enemy is alive or dead, not knocked out. If you knock out the three guys chatting around the rock on the beach with your darts their conversation will continue, despite all three of them being knocked out.
13. Your aim with the sniper scope is a lot steadier on a heavy sniper rifle than it is with the same sniper scope mounted on one of the standard rifles.
14. The sound for the silenced pistol should be a dull thud, not the standard imaginary Hollywood movie-silencer sound.
15. There are sharks.
16. If you go outside the bounds of the island or mission area you will be vaporized.
17. Vehicle damage is not area-specific. You can repeatedly shoot just the minigun on a vehicle and the entire thing will end up exploding. If you take two shots from a sniper rifle and take out the driver and gunner, the entire vehicle health will be down to around 60%.
18. You cannot ram enemy gun boats with your own gun boat to kill the enemies in the gunboat. Even if you land on top of their gunboat.
19. You cannot climb into occupied gunboats, so if you're out in the open water with a gunboat chasing you, there is no way for you to destroy it unless you get back onto land first so you can pull your gun out.
20. Enemies can see underneath their gun boat. If you swim underneath them they will start shooting.
21. If you get shot and your suit power reaches zero, you lose the ability to breathe underwater.

That's all I can think of for now.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
The demo is 1.75 GB!?! WTF?

Maybe I'm just a cranky old geek, but I can remember when you could fit the demo of Doom on a floppy disk!