*** POLL - Has Crysis lived up to the hype? ***

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I'm not too impressed by the demo. Yes, it's a demo, but it's like somebody re-made Far Cry in a new engine. I only have a 7900GS, so I can't set everything to Very Higher or use DX10, but even on high (which runs like crap), it's not "best looking game EVAR". I'll simply reserve further judgment and hope they optimize it a bit more so it runs faster on lower-end hardware like my vidcard.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Raduque
I'm not too impressed by the demo. Yes, it's a demo, but it's like somebody re-made Far Cry in a new engine. I only have a 7900GS, so I can't set everything to Very Higher or use DX10, but even on high (which runs like crap), it's not "best looking game EVAR". I'll simply reserve further judgment and hope they optimize it a bit more so it runs faster on lower-end hardware like my vidcard.

no it doesn't ... Very High approaches realism that is just not there in DX9[period]

try running the built-in benchmark in Very High if you have Vista ... even if it is a slide show, you may get the idea ... with a GTS640 or 2900xt you can expect 10 FPS

without ANY doubt in my mind it IS the best looking game to date graphics-wise ... nothing else even comes close :p

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: Raduque

no it doesn't ... Very High approaches realism that is just not there in DX9[period]

try running the built-in benchmark in Very High if you have Vista ... even if it is a slide show, you may get the idea ... with a GTS640 or 2900xt you can expect 10 FPS

without ANY doubt in my mind it IS the best looking game to date graphics-wise ... nothing else even comes close :p

Yep, nothing... Nothing even in the works comes close. Project Offset? Yeah, not even close even though I still think that was cool. But UT3? No way! Gears of War? Hell no. If CryTek can get their ducks in a row and market their engine for 3rd party use, us gamers will be in heaven, and CryTek will finally be a major player in engine licensing. But, I have no idea if they even plan to go that route.

Pez D Spencer

Banned
Nov 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Spartan Niner
It'll be awesome killing soldiers in a jungle... and then overpowered aliens/mutants will ruin it. Exactly like Far Cry...

My feelings exactly. When the trigens showed up in Far Cry, I really thought it took away from the game.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Originally posted by: wazzledoozle
Originally posted by: Cheex
Fine people...compare it to FarCry but DO NOT say that Crysis is FarCry 2.

FarCry 2 is scheduled to come out in 2008.
Who knows...Crytek might tweak the CryEngine 2 and make FarCry 2 look better than Crysis.....

Crytek is not involved at all with Far Cry 2. In case you failed to notice, EA is publishing Crysis for Crytek and Ubisoft is doing Far Cry 2 in-house on a new engine.

This is because Ubisoft retained the rights to the Far Cry brand and Crytek kept their engine.

Thank you for that information. I was totally unaware of those facts.

:thumbsup:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
Originally posted by: sirjonk
Well we've only played the demo so there may be some goodies later on that will blow me away, but right now it's like FC2 with superb graphics. I still really liked the demo. I couldn't disagree more that the suit is "mildly useful" Speed, invisibility, strength are terrific ways to vary up the gameplay, and that you have only a couple seconds of each tempers it from becoming too godlike. The manner they implemented it with the mouse gesture is simplistic and genius. The pre-release vids seemed intimidating. Modding the guns isn't something to do on the run, but when would you really have time to in the middle of a firefight? AI wasn't that impressive. Vehicles run a bit slower than they should I think. The game runs great on my system at 16x12 (C2d, 8800gts640). I thought there'd be no way I could run it on High but it's very smooth. I'm impressed.

Problem is...you can go through the WHOLE demo without using anything but max armor and strength (to jump in the spots it forces you to). You never really need or have use for the cloak or the speed ever.

It's a gimmick.

You don't even need the stregth jump until you get to the end and even then you could probably do it without it.

cloak drains so fast its worthless. i used speed most of the time because it lets you walk faster than normal. just do a quick switch to armor when you get into a firefight. the suit is pretty much a gimmick.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex
You don't even need the stregth jump until you get to the end and even then you could probably do it without it.

cloak drains so fast its worthless. i used speed most of the time because it lets you walk faster than normal. just do a quick switch to armor when you get into a firefight. the suit is pretty much a gimmick.

Yep, it's a waste of time. It feels like a really cheap mod that's been tacked on. More like max fail than anything else.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
I haven't really been keeping up with the hype machine, but it was a pretty impressive demo from my end. Are there things to complain about? Yeah, probably, but the good far outweighs the bad, and it looks pretty damn beautiful too.

I'm in for a full purchase on release day :)

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I was actually a little disappointed in how well (er, not well) my rig runs it. x2 4800+, 1950xt, 2gb dual chan ddr800 = medium settings, no aa/af @ 1680x1050 in winxpsp2. No lag, but if I bump up anything, even just to 2xaa, my fps takes a nosedive.

Other than that, the physics look impressive and I'm definitely going to buy it when it's released. But I already knew that.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
To those that think the suit is a gimmick, why? Its just a way to convey a story and have different attributes w/o resorting to cliche' pills, powerups, or injections. You don't need to use it. It just gives you a good arsenal for playing the game with different styles.

I think it delivered on everything they said it would.

Well above average graphics with ENORMOUS levels and draw distance: check
CAPABLE of insane graphics: check
Needs a monster machine not yet existing to run on the highest settings: check
Sweet Sandbox editor: check

I think people have forgotten all the trouble Far Cry had when it came out. It was a monster for its time too. Crysis is much more ambitious. I've been having a helluva time getting it working, but I understand that given time, it'll work great, as they said.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: jdoggg12
To those that think the suit is a gimmick, why? Its just a way to convey a story and have different attributes w/o resorting to cliche' pills, powerups, or injections. You don't need to use it. It just gives you a good arsenal for playing the game with different styles.

I think people have forgotten all the trouble Far Cry had when it came out. It was a monster for its time too. Crysis is much more ambitious. I've been having a helluva time getting it working, but I understand that given time, it'll work great, as they said.

too bad it didn't deliver on gameplay though. no gameplay = fail, no matter how pretty the trees look.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
So a q6600 overclocked to 3.6 and 2- 8800 ultra's won't run (60fps) very high details?
I call bs.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
I think the gameplay is average to above average, by comparison to all FPS games. If you could take the graphics of Crysis with the gameplay feel of HL2 *OR* RainbowSix3 it would be a perfect game IMO. I'm a fan of realistic damage, which is why i'd suggest rainbow-like play/damage. You shouldn't need to hit a guy 8 times with a .45 just to drop him...

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Who knows...Crytek might tweak the CryEngine 2 and make FarCry 2 look better than Crysis.....

Crytek is not involved at all with Far Cry 2. In case you failed to notice, EA is publishing Crysis for Crytek and Ubisoft is doing Far Cry 2 in-house on a new engine.

This is because Ubisoft retained the rights to the Far Cry brand and Crytek kept their engine.

I bet that Far Cry 2 is on the UT3 engine.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Pez D Spencer
Originally posted by: Spartan Niner
It'll be awesome killing soldiers in a jungle... and then overpowered aliens/mutants will ruin it. Exactly like Far Cry...

My feelings exactly. When the trigens showed up in Far Cry, I really thought it took away from the game.

Exactly! If I wanted to fight deformed monsters I'd play Doom 3.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: sirjonk
Well we've only played the demo so there may be some goodies later on that will blow me away, but right now it's like FC2 with superb graphics. I still really liked the demo. I couldn't disagree more that the suit is "mildly useful" Speed, invisibility, strength are terrific ways to vary up the gameplay, and that you have only a couple seconds of each tempers it from becoming too godlike. The manner they implemented it with the mouse gesture is simplistic and genius. The pre-release vids seemed intimidating. Modding the guns isn't something to do on the run, but when would you really have time to in the middle of a firefight? AI wasn't that impressive. Vehicles run a bit slower than they should I think. The game runs great on my system at 16x12 (C2d, 8800gts640). I thought there'd be no way I could run it on High but it's very smooth. I'm impressed.

Problem is...you can go through the WHOLE demo without using anything but max armor and strength (to jump in the spots it forces you to). You never really need or have use for the cloak or the speed ever.

It's a gimmick.

QFT

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Problem is...the game is going to be only 10hours long in SP, and the MP which I have played, is terrible IMO.

Thus, I'm paying for a gimmicky showpiece.

Other engines like UT3 while not looking as nice as crysis, do perform 100% better on current hardware. That's what counts, a game that you can play and enjoy without wishing it ran faster and being distracted and/or killed because of a sudden FPS drop when you move.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: happy medium
So a q6600 overclocked to 3.6 and 2- 8800 ultra's won't run (60fps) very high details?
I call bs.

No it won't.

1) There is no SLI support
2) if 1 ultra only averages 25fps and NO other game on the planet gets a 100% speedup from SLI, do not expect a 150% speedup just from SLI.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I think the gameplay is average to above average, by comparison to all FPS games. If you could take the graphics of Crysis with the gameplay feel of HL2 *OR* RainbowSix3 it would be a perfect game IMO. I'm a fan of realistic damage, which is why i'd suggest rainbow-like play/damage. You shouldn't need to hit a guy 8 times with a .45 just to drop him...

Also, from long distances your bullets do no damage. I shot a guy with a full clip in single fire mode (I saw him to the "ouch" animation every shot) and he didn't go down.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002

I'll bet it's not, since it's not.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Lonyo

I bet you're right, because you are. :p

KT

Sep 12, 2004
I call bs.

No it won't.

2) if 1 ultra only averages 25fps and NO other game on the planet gets a 100% speedup from SLI, do not expect a 150% speedup just from SLI.
Where does it state there is no SLI support?

In the Readme it specifically states that multiple GPUs are usable:

"Some hardware vendors have solutions to utilize multiple graphic
cards in parallel (e.g. Crossfire or SLI) and that can greatly improve
render performance. This requires the engine to run in the
"MultiGPU" mode. The speedup depends on the scene and system
properties like the main processor performance. Frame rate can be
less stable but is often much higher."

iirc, Cervat stated that NVIDIA needs to implement some fixes in the drivers to properly enable SLI so it's not a game limitation. Additionally, one of the guys over at NVNEWS claims to have gotten SLI working in Crysis as well.

And with the new 8800gt, great SLI performance has suddenly become way more affordable to the masses.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
I call bs.

No it won't.

iirc, Cervat stated that NVIDIA needs to implement some fixes in the drivers to properly enable SLI so it's not a game limitation. Additionally, one of the guys over at NVNEWS claims to have gotten SLI working in Crysis as well.

And with the new 8800gt, great SLI performance has suddenly become way more affordable to the masses.

Well Crossfire does not work with this demo right now, I can confirm that.

I thought multi-GPU support was only going to be available on the final game, not the demo?

KT

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Lonyo

And you have a link? Your statement is just as good as mine without one.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
I call bs.

No it won't.

Nvidia and Crytek forums both state SLI not supported in current releases. One guy's Claim means nothing when you don't post a link to this and have someone test it. SLi = worse performance than single card right now with current drivers and demo/mp beta releases.

I do not expect any SLI/Crossfire configuration to give 60fps in DX10 with very high set on everything at a resolution where you would be GPU limited.